Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Editors

Dode

So for some time now I've been learning coding/programming mostly HTML/CSS and some Javascript using various online courses. Since I am really getting into it and very interested in learning more stuff and trying it out more myself, I figured I should look into getting editor of some sort. So is there any editors that you guys recommend?

Guest The_Monkey

Then you should go with dreamweaver. Does cost some money but i think it makes up for it, works wonders.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Do not use Dreamweaver. EVER!

Dreamweaver is known for its wysiwyg aspects. It has a nice IDE, but it is not what you should learn on. It is full of bad habits!

You would be good to use an editor or an IDE. Notepad++ is a very versatile editor. So is jEdit (adds beanshell functionality). There are good IDEs out there as well. I use PHPStorm myself. However, Eclipse is another big name. If you are on a Mac, you can get xcode. Aptana is mediocre, but fee. The lists go on. The people who make PHPStorm also make WebStorm, which is a more generalized IDE. If you want to have a discussion in TS3, I'd be happy to.

• Like 3

Guest The_Monkey

I was just looking at it looked pretty good, probably wasn't going to get it due to it's price but still. I'll take a look into some of those, thanks.

Dreamweaver was made with web designers in mind, not web programmers. If you are a ux/ui guy, then get dreamweaver. But it looks like you are on the programming track. Given that bit of information, avoid dreamweaver.

• Like 1

I use Eclipse for Java programing. I believe you can use it for Web programming as well. It's also free and I find some of the tools helpful. I'm not sure but you can look into it.

Other than Notepad++, i used eclipse and netbeans. eclipse is a bit more complicated, but its better

Guest The_Monkey

I use Codelobster.

Also using Wampserver

I will check out codelobster since I haven't heard of it before.

However, I would suggest using virtual box + vagrant to create manageable virtual machines that are full stack. It will give you the linux know how to completely setup a site for real world use. Also, you can setup your vagrant to mimic your hosting environment.

I will check out codelobster since I haven't heard of it before.

However, I would suggest using virtual box + vagrant to create manageable virtual machines that are full stack. It will give you the linux know how to completely setup a site for real world use. Also, you can setup your vagrant to mimic your hosting environment.

I am at the first year of college that I learn Linux next year :P

Guest The_Monkey

I am at the first year of college that I learn Linux next year :P

The nice thing about using vagrant is that the box comes preconfiged. You just tell it what modules to install via puppet manifests. So, you get a ubuntu precise box, and puppet tells it to install apache, php, mysql, node.js, etc., and setup virtual hosts and so on. It is less about linux, and more about web management.

So after some research and trying some stuff out using the trials and stuff. I did find a couple that I like and I'll come to a decision on which to use soon. But while researching I found a lot of people mentioning Sublime Text and since I didn't see anyone here mention it, I'm curious to know your opinions if you have heard/tried it.

Guest The_Monkey

So after some research and trying some stuff out using the trials and stuff. I did find a couple that I like and I'll come to a decision on which to use soon. But while researching I found a lot of people mentioning Sublime Text and since I didn't see anyone here mention it, I'm curious to know your opinions if you have heard/tried it.

Sorry, forgot about Sublime Text. It is just as good. Have fun with it.

Sorry, forgot about Sublime Text. It is just as good. Have fun with it.

Yesssssss. I've come to like it more then notepad++ now.

Visual studio 2013 (windows master race)

Sublime text 3

Edited by Short

Guest The_Monkey

Yesssssss. I've come to like it more then notepad++ now.

Visual studio 2013 (windows master race)

Sublime text 3

I usually use Note pad ++ or Visual basics. Those work out just fine for me.

If you are a part of a Microsoft shop, then Visual Studio is your best choice.