Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

#steam Scam/virus Link

Isaac

Seen this one making a few victims lately, infected a few high profile accounts.

It's been going on from a few weeks already, so who knows how many people got hit.

How it works:

This is how it works. There's a link, that APPEARS to end in ".png", under the pretense of your friend sending you a screenshot. If you click this link, it will download a .scr file, which will hijack your steam account. Your steam account will start to send the same link to your friends.

What to do:

• Don't click links ending "sshot721.png", or any link from "screen-lighting" website.This is the only website they are using at the moment, so it's the one you should definitely not click. They may start using other websites though, so be vigilant.
  • Turn on Download Notifications in Chrome.Chrome has a feature which will ask you if you want to download a file, before downloading it. By default, this is OFF. You can turn this feature on by going to "Settings", "Advanced Settings", and clicking the checkbox on "Ask where to save each file before downloading." This feature is enabled by default on Firefox, if you use different browsers, make sure to check it out.
  • Ask your friend if they sent that linkIn a lot of cases, the friends have managed to retain access to the account. Since it is automatic, ask your friend if they sent the link to you. If they say no, then you know they are infected. If they do not answer, presume the same.
  • TL,DR:Don't click random links, double check them / ask friend if he sent it, disable browser automatic download.

--------------------------------

//Stay safe peeps,

Edited by isaac
  • Like 14

What if I did click the link?

Own a virus scanner like avg.

and download this.

I never saw this in steam before yet.

I've seen those same files in streams.

Somethimes people post their screenshots in the stream chat like: "omfg I went full yolo on this team. <insert link here>"

I clicked on some of them and got myself 2 trojan horses and some malware.

same .scr files like isaac stated above.

But they are removed :)

tnx isaac for the heads up.

Edited by UnPrePared_