Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

So I've Been Having A Dilemma With Either Upgrade Or New Pc...-_-

Trixter

So my system to start out:

Windows Edition: 7 Home Premium

Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 12.0 GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Hard Drive: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 spec; Capacity: 1TB, Cache: 32MB, RPM: 7,200 RPM, Interface Transfer rate: up to 300MB/s

Power Supply: XION 700 Watt Power Supply Model No: XON-700P12N

OK, now that the specs are out the way, my Dilemma is whether to upgrade or buy a new PC. I've basically put these parts together a few years back if you know your hardware/software you can tell by reading the specs. Now the PC is still well alive and kicking because at the time it was good stuff. But then again that's "at that time" lol. The graphics recently have been a bit choppy but the stuff is a few years old. I could use some input on either upgrading the parts, like the power supply could be replaced and graphics card, maybe even the hard drive, or just buying a whole PC. Also I'm well aware the processor is old to. But like I said, I could use the input whether I should buy new or replace old. Any and all feedback is welcomed.

If your PSU and hard drive are functioning fine, you can keep them. Not sure what specific RAM you have, or their clock speeds. You can always re mew your RAM. Definitely get a new processor and graphics card, possibly a motherboard too but I do not know which one you have. If your case is working fine and looks good as well as all the features you want, keep it too. Not sure what your budget is but if you provide one, I can offer some recommendations for a new GPU and CPU.

Edit: Never type on a phone

Edited by DeRedPanda
  • Like 1

Motherboard is Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-P55m-UDT, RAM is CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B. My thing is, is it better to upgrade the pieces or just go with a whole new PC. My latest add was the RAM. But to be honest I wanted to nab a graphics card but wasn't sure it would be worth it with the system. Every time I focus on one piece I look at another lol. Hence my whole dilemma situation. My budget at the moment is tight but future is looking promising but I was looking for an outside opinion because the PC still runs CSS, WoW, LoL, Warframe, and I have Evolve on pre-order for launch so graphically and performance wise it still kicks some butt for an old PC but I don't wanna game to hard and it burns out on me from pushing it lol.

Edited by Trixter

RAM looks good, definitely can be reused again. The only reason why you would want new RAM is if it is not functioning properly (which doesn't seem to be your case since you just purchased it), or if you want to do a build with DDR4, which needs a new motherboard, a new processor and of course new RAM. All the components that currently support that are extremely expensive. I believe this is your motherboard, which is a Micro-ATX motherboard, using an LGA1156 port which is pretty outdated. In my opinion, depending on your budget, (range in USD helps), grab a full size ATX motherboard, a new processor and a new graphics card. You can carry over your case, PSU and RAM.

Awesome, I appreciate the info, i'll look into the new motherboard with processor, graphics card I have a general idea of but I'm guessing with the 3 upgrades I'm assuming $650 USD?

http://pcpartpicker....-bx80646i54690k or an i7 since I think you wanna start doing GFX http://pcpartpicker....-bx80646i74790k

http://pcpartpicker....-maximusviihero motherboard can be cheaper depends on whhat you are willing to do with your PC (overclocking etc)

My personal choice for a videocard: http://pcpartpicker....ard-gvn760oc4gd

Edited by UnPrePared_

If you don't mind AMD (and have a Microcenter near you) they usually have pretty sweet Mobo CPU combos. I ended up with an FX-6300 and a free Gigabyte board out of the deal (89$ before MA state tax). The board would handle that ram easy.

Edited by Shaman

If you don't mind AMD (and have a Microcenter near you) they usually have pretty sweet Mobo CPU combos. I ended up with an FX-6300 and a free Gigabyte board out of the deal (89$ before MA state tax). The board would handle that ram easy.

Don't waste your money on an FX 6300, just spend a little more money and get a decent i5.