Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Time To Rebuild

Misc2008

It's time to rebuild in a new case. I'm recycling some old components and upgrading others. I welcome any feedback on my build spec:

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Full Tower Case - White

Corsair 850W Modular PSU

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ Motherboard

AMD FX-8150 8-Core CPU + Water Cooling kit

Corsair Memory Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1866 MHz CAS 9-10-9-27 Dual Channel Desktop (2x 4GB)

2nd HDD (used for data backups only): Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA 6GB/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive

Upgrades:

- Primary HDD: Samsung 2.5-Inch 1 TB 850 EVO Solid State Drive

- I think I will double the RAM and have 16GB in total

- Asus STRIX GTX970 DirectCU II OC 4GB (Maxwell) Nvidia PCI Express Graphics Card

- I probably need to pick out some additional cooling fans

- A multi-colour led light strip for inside

This case should allow me to do GPU watercooling in the future when I get adventurous but for now, no.

• Like 1

How much is that 1tb SSD setting you back? I would honestly go with 2 smaller 240gb drives. Run them in RAID to get better performance. Spend the $$$ you save on a gtx 980. I honestly dont know anything about Zotac as a company so i went with EVGA becuase they will have great customer service if anything ever goes wrong. I do like having room for games on my SSD's but i pick and choose. Do you want better graphics or faster loading times? you can always add more storage but GPU's are expensive to upgrade.

PS i hope that sabertooth990fx MOBO works out for you. Newegg sent me one that was DOA and i still have yet to claim a warranty on it

Edited by PooStar_Nutbag

How much is that 1tb SSD setting you back? I would honestly go with 2 smaller 240gb drives. Run them in RAID to get better performance. Spend the $$$ you save on a gtx 980. I honestly dont know anything about Zotac as a company so i went with EVGA becuase they will have great customer service if anything ever goes wrong. I do like having room for games on my SSD's but i pick and choose. Do you want better graphics or faster loading times? you can always add more storage but GPU's are expensive to upgrade.

PS i hope that sabertooth990fx MOBO works out for you. Newegg sent me one that was DOA and i still have yet to claim a warranty on it

Just under 300 pounds I think from Amazon (damn it - price just went up :-(). The 990fx is 3 years old so I think it's stable :-)

EDIT: I really need the extra space - as the 512GB SSD did not have much room left.

Edited by Misc2008
stuff

Just under 300 pounds I think from Amazon (damn it - price just went up :-(). The 990fx is 3 years old so I think it's stable :-)

EDIT: I really need the extra space - as the 512GB SSD did not have much room left.

Buy a mechanical drive for extra space? what do you plan to store that has to be on a SSD?

Edited by PooStar_Nutbag

Run multiple drives. 240gb SSD will set you back 80-100 and buy a 1tb WD blue for like 50$. I run my OS and a few games like garrys mod and csgo because they dont take up much room but that is all. No reason for 1tb of SSD storage until it becomes cheaper in the future. Most 1tb SSD's are about 400-500. You wont notice 350$ more of performance however you will notice the dif between 970 and 980.