Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Forums

TyGuy464646

If Hyperactive comes back on some day, talk to him, he knows a shit ton about forum stuff.

Ahem.

There's a variety of forum board software you can use, it all depends on the addons that come with it, and the expandability one can do with third party addons/plugins. Like all scenes where there are multiple products doing the same thing, you have strengths and weaknesses all round. Ironically Wikipedia has an entry here that will guide you through the most rudimentary differences in each of the mainstream forum board software. While the Wikipedia page doesn't have the be all end all when it comes to "this is 100%" (IPBoard is a lot further on from 4.1.17.x), it gives you a good idea immediately what might suit you. Usually boiling down to phpBB vs. IPBoard, but IPBoard is $30/month (for being in the cloud) or starting at $200 for self hosting with a bi-annual renewal fee. phpBB is free however hasn't been updated for the last few months, but there you are.

For the sake of comparison, HG uses a very old version of IPBoard (3.1.x); over five years old at this stage, so don't use it for comparison for more up to date boards that are running now, since for the sake of comparison, this old version would not have features that you would find on the newer versions.

• Like 3

phpBB as the best free forum software

Do you know of any well-grounded tutorials / forum posts that go into detail about phpBB? I've installed it on my friends website but am not sure how to add it to the style of the website nor do I know how to set up the forums.

• Like 1

Not a huge fan of phpBB myself. I prefer xenForo over any other software. It costs $140 for a license, but it's the most enjoyable software to use and develop a community with. It's rich with features and is constantly being updated/maintained by the developers. They also have a nice community forum for license-holders and their support team is one of the best I've encountered.

Not a huge fan of phpBB myself.

I agree with you on that.

While the Wikipedia page doesn't have the be all end all when it comes to "this is 100%" (IPBoard is a lot further on from 4.1.17.x), it gives you a good idea immediately what might suit you. IPBoard is $30/month (for being in the cloud) or starting at $200 for self hosting with a bi-annual renewal fee.

As far as I'm aware, HG uses a modified/customized version of IPS (Invision Power Board) Community Suite.

As of now, I have switched over to IPS (Invision Power Board v4.1.18.2) and am runing IPBoard on our website. I love it a lot but I have a couple questions about it. I'm having a problem where when I change the theme, it gives me a fatal error.

WWdSC97.png

Also, I want to know what addons / plugins HG is using for the custom reply boxes as well as the rank badges.