Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

gmod murder server

GMod is such an un-optimized P.O.S. that it's not even funny, yet we have a full pop ZS server during prime time... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My honest opinion, I wish they would come up with a "newer", "more efficient" form of the engine and I feel like the game would go off the charts.

However, until then, I have to agree with Snowy and say that's there's no point in creating something new that our community isn't really known for just to "test the waters" and possibly mess up what we currently have going.

34 minutes ago, EtherealHope said:

GMod is such an un-optimized P.O.S. that it's not even funny, yet we have a full pop ZS server during prime time... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Developers are releasing at least one update every month that's actually making the game more doable to work with.

However, yeah, it's still unoptimizied, but what would you expect? GMod came out back in 2006, and it's still single-threaded to this day. You can set it to run multi-core rendering, but it still suffers from bugs and optimization problems (people crashing, lagging like hell online, etc.).

Still, you gotta give it to the devs for continuing to update a game and keep it relevant 14 years after its release, especially considering this isn't an MMO or MOBA, where you would see more attention paid to monthly updates for those games.

On 8/26/2020 at 7:02 PM, Snowyamur said:

Developers are releasing at least one update every month that's actually making the game more doable to work with.

However, yeah, it's still unoptimizied, but what would you expect? GMod came out back in 2006, and it's still single-threaded to this day. You can set it to run multi-core rendering, but it still suffers from bugs and optimization problems (people crashing, lagging like hell online, etc.).

Still, you gotta give it to the devs for continuing to update a game and keep it relevant 14 years after its release, especially considering this isn't an MMO or MOBA, where you would see more attention paid to monthly updates for those games.

single threaded lua engine kekw

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 9:02 AM, Snowyamur said:

I know before Facepunch forums shut down, Gary said he was working on a new engine of GMod in UE4, but it was still more of a testing thing then a confirmed thing.

29 minutes ago, Zia. said:

I know before Facepunch forums shut down, Gary said he was working on a new engine of GMod in UE4, but it was still more of a testing thing then a confirmed thing.

That doesn't really give a defined "when" GMod 2 will become official or not. What I'm concerned about is when, and if when, GMod 2 becomes an officially launched game, most game modes on GMod 1 will become obsolete, or require reworked coding.

Investing in servers costs money, and we're just on the verge of getting a new server box for all of our servers. If we invest in GMod Murder, sure, it could last for a few years and do well, but I look at future projections of at least 5-6 years for a server lifespan. We've had servers in this community dating back to 2005, which is rare for game servers, and once GMod 2 releases, our current GMod 1 servers might become obsolete, alongside the game modes, and I don't think we have the resources on-hand to create a new game mode, or adapt existing game modes to GMod 2 whenever it releases.