Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

building new comp, need opinions

Weeman

Okay so Sapphire is fine, but a waste of money for the "vapor x" cooling, and their warranty isn't impressive. Go with these.

XFX version 400$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150456

Double lifetime warranty and great customer service.

For PSU APEVIA and rosewill are garbage, go with a corsair or antec, you'll need about 650 watts, so go with a 750 or higher.

I personally would say for you get the Corsair 850TX or 850HX if you want removable cables. If you want antec go with TPQ 850 for 150 or the TQP 1000 for 170.

thanks for letting me know about those video cards, switched them out for what you told me and i'm grabbing the 850HX :-D <3

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so Sapphire is fine, but a waste of money for the "vapor x" cooling, and their warranty isn't impressive. Go with these.

XFX version 400$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150456

Double lifetime warranty and great customer service.

For PSU APEVIA and rosewill are garbage, go with a corsair or antec, you'll need about 650 watts, so go with a 750 or higher.

I personally would say for you get the Corsair 850TX or 850HX if you want removable cables. If you want antec go with TPQ 850 for 150 or the TQP 1000 for 170.

How about visiontek? I got there 5870... Also when doing crossfire does it have to be exactly the same card and brand?... or is it cool to mix brands as long as the card is a 5870?

-From my Iphone-

How about visiontek? I got there 5870... Also when doing crossfire does it have to be exactly the same card and brand?... or is it cool to mix brands as long as the card is a 5870?

-From my Iphone-

Haven't had any personal experience with them, the chips are pretty much all the same, just a different sticker/heatsink/warranty. You can mix brands, not a problem.

There is only 4 AMD motherboards that have 4 PCI-E 2.0 slots. ASUS is pretty much your only option, Foxconn the 2nd choice. I won't ask why you think you need 4 PCI-E slots.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022+1494436126&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=22&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

There is only 4 AMD motherboards that have 4 PCI-E 2.0 slots. ASUS is pretty much your only option, Foxconn the 2nd choice. I won't ask why you think you need 4 PCI-E slots.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022+1494436126&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=22&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

4 GFX cards crossfire = super HD pr0n?

Haha...well If he was going for 3-4 video cards in crossfire he should be building on the X58 chipset not the 790 ;)

yes 4 cards was my intention but not for personal use, was for show for my computer mechanics class. and yea i need to be able to fit my soundblaster titanium on it between the cards which is why i need a big mobo :-x

yes 4 cards was my intention but not for personal use, was for show for my computer mechanics class. and yea i need to be able to fit my soundblaster titanium on it between the cards which is why i need a big mobo :-x

Yeah i was telling you how your cpu would underclock your graphics especially if you buy 4 5870's

i dont understand why it would do that though, i can just overclock the cpu like i originally was. wouldn't that work?

Yes but even a highly ocd cpu will not be able to keep up with those graphic cards. Since ocs are helpful but they just dont give enough juice for that type of setup, since if you oc you dont get 100% extra power like if you go from 3 ghz to 6 ghz your cpu wont be twice as fast/strong it will actually only be like 33% faster (an exaggeration of course).

In addition your going to have to be a good OC'er to get your cpu to match the performance of your graphic cards

If we calculate the cost of your graphic cards to your cpu this will just show the difference

1 5870 400 amd phenom 965 250

2 5870 800

3 5870 1200

4 5870 1600

As you see the cpu will have trouble keeping up with those cards.

Edited by Dr.jiggles

Yes but even a highly ocd cpu will not be able to keep up with those graphic cards. Since ocs are helpful but they just dont give enough juice for that type of setup, since if you oc you dont get 100% extra power like if you go from 3 ghz to 6 ghz your cpu wont be twice as fast/strong it will actually only be like 33% faster (an exaggeration of course).

In addition your going to have to be a good OC'er to get your cpu to match the performance of your graphic cards

If we calculate the cost of your graphic cards to your cpu this will just show the difference

2 5870 800

3 5870 1200

4 5870 1600

brb gonna go write in my bright pink journal that I learned something today

2 5870 800

3 5870 1200

4 5870 1600

Price has nothing to do with how well something can scale.

You are right in one way, yes it's possible for CPU's to have trouble keeping up with 3-4 video cards. The single and dual core days, this was a problem. With quad CPU's this is very minimal and only happens with the slower quads. Phenom II and i7 with good frequency keeps up just fine.

If you want a cooler that your cpu wont overheat try this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154011 and it has a fan control for the fan in it.

Now for a case, i have this one and have had no problem with heat you cant put up 7 120mm fans and 1 80mm for the blow hole at the top : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811166033

here are pics of them (sorry its on another website):

http://www.official-fusion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=862

Now the case comes with blue neon fans but i put red fans instead. But its a case that isnt that common like cooler master, etc.

Edited by stanger