Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

British think Obama's energy policy is nuttier than squirrel turds

DJ2

President-elect Barack Obama proposes economic suicide for US

By Christopher Booker

Last Updated: 11:01pm GMT 29/11/2008

Have your say Read comments

If the holder of the most powerful office in the world proposed a policy guaranteed to inflict untold damage on his own country and many others, on the basis of claims so demonstrably fallacious that they amount to a string of self-deluding lies, we might well be concerned. The relevance of this is not to President Bush, as some might imagine, but to a recent policy statement by President-elect Obama.

The 10,000 turbines in the US generate less power than a single coal-fired plant

Tomorrow, delegates from 190 countries will meet in Poznan, Poland, to pave the way for next year's UN conference in Copenhagen at which the world will agree a successor to the Kyoto Protocol on climate change. They will see a video of Mr Obama, in only his second major policy commitment, pledging that America is now about to play the leading role in the fight to "save the planet" from global warming.

Read more by Christopher Booker

Mr Obama begins by saying that "the science is beyond dispute and the facts are clear". "Sea levels," he claims, "are rising, coastlines are shrinking, we've seen record drought, spreading famine and storms that are growing stronger with each passing hurricane season."

Far from the science being "beyond dispute", we can only deduce from this that Mr Obama has believed all he was told by Al Gore's wondrously batty film An Inconvenient Truth without bothering to check the facts. Each of these four statements is so wildly at odds with the truth that on this score alone we should be seriously worried.

It is true that average sea levels are modestly rising, but no faster than they have been doing for three centuries. Gore's film may predict a rise this century of 20 feet, but even the UN's International Panel on Climate Change only predicts a rise of between four and 17 inches. The main focus of alarm here has been the fate of low-lying coral islands such as the Maldives and Tuvalu.

Around each of these tiny countries, according to the international Commission on Sea Level Changes and other studies, sea levels in recent decades have actually fallen. The Indian Ocean was higher between 1900 and 1970 than it has been since. Satellite measurements show that since 1993 the sea level around Tuvalu has gone down by four inches.

Coastlines are not "shrinking" except where land is subsiding, as on the east coast of England, where it has been doing so for thousands of years. Gore became particularly muddled by this, pointing to how many times the Thames Barrier has had to be closed in recent years, unaware that this was more often to keep river water in during droughts than to stop the sea coming in.

Far from global warming having increased the number of droughts, the very opposite is the case. The most comprehensive study (Narisma et al, 2007) showed that, of the 20th century's 30 major drought episodes, 22 were in the first six decades, with only five between 1961 and 1980. The most recent two decades produced just three.

Mr Obama has again been taken in over hurricanes. Despite a recent press release from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration claiming that 2008's North Atlantic hurricane season "set records", even its own release later admits that it only tied as "the fifth most active" since 1944. NOAA's own graphs show hurricane activity higher in the 1950s than recently. A recent Florida State University study of tropical cyclone activity across the world (see the Watts Up With That? website) shows a steady reduction over the past four years.

Alarming though it may be that the next US President should have fallen for all this claptrap, much more worrying is what he proposes to do on the basis of such grotesque misinformation. For a start he plans to introduce a "federal cap and trade system", a massive "carbon tax", designed to reduce America's CO2 emissions "to their 1990 levels by 2020 and reduce them an additional 80 per cent by 2050". Such a target, which would put America ahead of any other country in the world, could only be achieved by closing down a large part of the US economy.

Mr Obama floats off still further from reality when he proposes spending $15 billion a year to encourage "clean energy" sources, such as thousands more wind turbines. He is clearly unaware that wind energy is so hopelessly ineffective that the 10,000 turbines America already has, representing "18 gigawatts of installed capacity", only generate 4.5GW of power, less than that supplied by a single giant coal-fired power station.

He talks blithely of allowing only "clean" coal-fired power plants, using "carbon capture" - burying the CO2 in holes in the ground - which would double the price of electricity, but the technology for which hasn't even yet been developed. He then babbles on about "generating five million new green jobs". This will presumably consist of hiring millions of Americans to generate power by running around on treadmills, to replace all those "dirty" coal-fired power stations which currently supply the US with half its electricity.

If this sounds like an elaborate economic suicide note, for what is still the earth's richest nation, it is still not enough for many environmentalists. Positively foaming at the mouth in The Guardian last week, George Monbiot claimed that the plight of the planet is now so grave that even "sensible programmes of the kind Obama proposes are now irrelevant". The only way to avert the "collapse of human civilisation", according to the Great Moonbat, would be "the complete decarbonisation of the global economy soon after 2050".

For 300 years science helped to turn Western civilisation into the richest and most comfortable the world has ever seen. Now it seems we have suddenly been plunged into a new age of superstition, where scientific evidence no longer counts for anything. The fact that America will soon be ruled by a man wholly under the spell of this post-scientific hysteria may leave us in wondering despair.

:ban?:

lol, I agree with helping the environment but this kind of money on something that you can not stop (America and all other countries falling due to nature) is beyond belief. We are all going to die someday and eventually this planet will fall to a greater power, we can't prevent it. We can not slow down natural disasters either. They think because the ocean was 1 degree to 3 degrees hotter this year was the reason for SO MANY amazing looking Hurricanes in June-July-August (I was tracking them at the time). This is complete utter bullshit. Fact is, next year we could only see a few hurricanes. It all depends on how the waves are coming off of areas around the Sahara and what time of the year they are. Climate and nature are very unexplainable to this date. Global Warming is occurring and we can only slow it down to save a few years. We can not prevent it. We've already done too much damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Booker

The guy already has a reputation of embellishing and downright lying about health and science related issues. In fact, the British government's Health and Safety Executive published an article specifically stating that he is wrong. You maybe just might want to edit your thread title a teensy bit.

EDIT: Looking over some of this guy's works, he seems like a British Ann Coulter. lolz

Let me add some more:

While this guy is a complete moron and shouldn't be allowed near pen, paper or any type of massively published media, nor do I agree with some of these crazy global warming notions flying about. To be honest, we simply don't know enough to truly form a scientific opinion on our global climate. This area of science is so highly politicized that anyone can pull an "expert" out of the woodwork to prove their claims to be right or their opponents' wrong. This completely destroys any objectivity in the field and could be problematic sometime in the future.

The guy already has a reputation of embellishing and downright lying about health and science related issues. In fact, the British government's Health and Safety Executive published an article specifically stating that he is wrong. You maybe just might want to edit your thread title a teensy bit.

KEEP IT DJ!

LAMP IS SO FAR LEFT HES ALMOST COMPLETELY UNCONSCIOUS!!

LAMP!! CAN YOU HEAR ME!!!! LAAAAAMMMPPP!!!

;)

EDIT: Looking over some of this guy's works, he seems like a British Ann Coulter. lolz

Let me add some more:

While this guy is a complete moron and shouldn't be allowed near pen, paper or any type of massively published media, nor do I agree with some of these crazy global warming notions flying about. To be honest, we simply don't know enough to truly form a scientific opinion on our global climate. This area of science is so highly politicized that anyone can pull an "expert" out of the woodwork to prove their claims to be right or their opponents' wrong. This completely destroys any objectivity in the field and could be problematic sometime in the future.

ln_logo.jpg

P.S. say hello to the secretary of state :tard:

Ahillary_clinton.jpg

mccainsleepinglh8.th.jpg

At least she won't be asleep on the job?

If you're posting pics like these it tells me you're grasping at straws, which makes the giggles come out even more!

seriously andy.... you can argue a useless point very well but in the end you are the only one that believes it ;)

/yawn

Funeral dirge of a quitter.

What "useless point" am I arguing by the way? That the article you posted (that you attributed to all of Britain don't forget!) was written by a complete nutjob? Or the fact that we can't accurately prove one way or another the overall impact humanity has on the global climate due to politicization?

DJ, I think you should stick to playing dust2. The forums aren't your forte. I promise, it'll be much less reading you have to do on there. D:

/yawn

Funeral dirge of a quitter.

What "useless point" am I arguing by the way? That the article you posted (that you attributed to all of Britain don't forget!) was written by a complete nutjob? Or the fact that we can't accurately prove one way or another the overall impact humanity has on the global climate due to politicization?

DJ, I think you should stick to playing dust2. The forums aren't your forte. I promise, it'll be much less reading you have to do on there. D:

lawl, you have NO IDEA of the cpasloc fury I can unleash on you.... not to mention I have made more determined ppl that you quit the internet, I really wish the original warstories was still open on srtforums, oh the pwnage that went on in there was epic to say the least...

You must have some serious ass-backwards retards if you can scare them off with that poor grip on the English language. I've had Indian guys offering me credit cards who could wield English with better skill.

Anyways, DJ, I think you should stop before you hurt yourself. You're too angry for your own good. Your old-man heart might not be up to the challenge.