Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Playstation network shut down indefinitly

Weeman

Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/04/25/22402/

Internet gamers were frustrated last week when Sony shut down its PlayStation Network. Now, they might have reason to be worried.

On Monday, the Japanese electronics giant said it is keeping its PlayStation Network videogame service offline indefinitely following a hacking attack it now says may have compromised user’s information.

To ensure the network’s integrity, Sony said it is currently rebuilding the service, which connects more than 75 million PlayStation customers over the Internet, letting them play videogames and chat together. “This is a time intensive process and we’re working to get them back online quickly,†Sony spokesman Patrick Seybold said in a blog post.

Sony is still investigating the “external intrusion†that forced the electronics giant to shut down its network last Wednesday. In an email, the company also said it is also trying to figure out if any personal information, such as credit card numbers, may have been compromised in the attack.

Last week’s outage came at a particularly bad time for the videogame giant. Many of its teenage customers were hoping to virtually punch, kick and choke each other in new videogames, including Warner Bros. Entertainment’s Mortal Kombat, over the three-day Eastern weekend.

Instead, many of them griped on Facebook, Twitter and even the Digits Blog. Many of the upset gamers said they wanted more transparency from Sony as the process of rebuilding its service continues. Others threatened to switch sides, as it were, and join Microsoft’s Xbox Live service, which largely offers the same features as the PlayStation Network.

Not all gamers were distraught and some said the furor was over the top. “You would have thought the world had just ended,†Matt, a commenter on the Digits blog, wrote.

Anonymous has denied any involvement in this incident since the original shutdown of the network.

I can't imagine why they would deny attacking and ultimately shutting down PSN... hmm.

It could actually not be them.

Maybe someone else did it, to make it seem that anonymous are a bunch of hackers who do it to piss people off and steal information about people.

I wonder who/ or what has done it.

Since Anonymous denies it being them.

Apparently, it was Anonymous. Supposedly they hacked Sony's site after being banned for hosting hacked lobbies for MW2. Sony was reportedly suing Anonymous for doing so, and then Anonymous preceded to hack the network in total. I own a PS3 and it's frustrating having it down, I can't watch my fuckin netfix.

oh, and relevant? V

http://ps3hacks.com/anonymous-preparing-for-the-biggest-attack-ever/

posted 3 days before the attack

Apparently, it was previously possible through a ps3 custom firmware and some messing around to access a network used by devs and gaming press. Easy piracy of ps3 games ensues

Source:

Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug ([1] http://rebug.me

). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out by 3rd parties (not Rebug) to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore. Edit #1: To those of you saying that this is speculation, you are correct. But, it is speculation based on a lot of facts and the outcome seems to make the most sense.

• Rebug was released on 3/31/11.
  • First guides of how to use the dev network to get back on COD games on 4/3/11.
  • Word of NGU users finding a way to pirate PSN content via the dev networks on 4/7/11 (basing this on posts I had to delete on the website. Update: Users have pointed out to me that these posts existed on NGU as of 4/2/11).
  • PSN goes down on 4/20/11

Now, you can believe Sony's PR team which has kept you completely in the dark, or you can see the list of events above and come to your own conclusion. Now, this isn't the first time Sony has fought back against the PS3 modders from getting on PSN. A couple of months ago we had a utility called f*ckPSN that changed the necessary header information that was being sent to Sony to allow modified consoles back online. We were able to use it for about a month. Then came the new TOS, the mass e-mail to PS3 customers, and software update 3.56 and 3.60. So, once again, yes this is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.

Edit #2: Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware.

Edit #3: Ok, it looks like some various news sites have picked up this story and taken it out of context. Once again, this is all speculation and information gathered from various devs in the PS3 scene. It might very well not be the real reason PSN is down, but as the timeline fits, it's a reasonable explanation. Now, as to Rebug directly allowing this to happen, that's not the case at all. Different CFW's have had access to the dev network the whole time. This is not new news for people in the PS3 scene. It's what people have figured out what to do with the said network that has caused all the recent issues. Saying that Rebug is what did this is like saying a gun manufacturer is responsible for every death that happens with a gun.

Edit #4: Looks like Sony is finally admitting that people have been able to get into their network and users personal info has possibly be compromised. See: [2] Official Sony Blog

for the latest update.

Anonymous has stated on their website that it was not them, and if it was them they sure as hell would let people know, they don't care about punishment, why would they? They're a GROUP of people almost anyone could participate in. "Sueing" anonymous would be like sueing whatever country the dart hits on the map. Makes no sense to me.

Now that PSN is down, I'm trying to get my parents to give me their ps3 for when I move...

Damn, your parents have a PS3? My ex-girlfriend's dad bought himself an Xbox just so he could play one golf game and he bought the expensive model too. Such a douchebag, just like his daughter. Also, to all you PC Gaming guys. Have you ever considered that some people can't afford or don't want to spend at least $1000 on a gaming pc when you can have the same or better graphics on something that at maximum costs $300?

Damn, your parents have a PS3? My ex-girlfriend's dad bought himself an Xbox just so he could play one golf game and he bought the expensive model too. Such a douchebag, just like his daughter. Also, to all you PC Gaming guys. Have you ever considered that some people can't afford or don't want to spend at least $1000 on a gaming pc when you can have the same or better graphics on something that at maximum costs $300?

If you can afford a Ferrari, you can afford a PS3.

They wanted it for the blue ray, 'cause a blue ray player was the same price. So why not get one that can do multiple things?

Also, same or better graphics? Are you high. Find one game that's across all consoles and Pc, and tell me who's runs better and looks sharper...

That's right Pc.

I'm also letting you know, the day I move to Florida, Monkey and I are taking a trip and keying your car, and slashing your tires...