Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

*** Microsoft just called me.... be aware it is a scam****!

HADES

So just a day after Sync! messaged me regarding a weird call he received, I too received a similar call - in Canada.

The person on the other end of the line identified her self as calling from Microsoft. Her name Stella - her accent Indian. The caller ID - unknown. I can hear hundreds of people in the background - so I knew it was a call center in India.

She claimed my windows computer has a virus, which if not removed would make my computer unusable.

She also claimed my computer has sent a report about the virus to Microsoft.

I told the alleged Microsoft rep that I would get my computer guy to fix my computer to which she claimed only a Microsoft rep can fix this virus.

I immediately knew this was a scam. Microsoft does not make unsolicited phone calls to help you fix your computer! It says so on their website: http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/msname.aspx

However, I wanted to gather as much information about this scam as possible, so I went along with the instructions.

The rep requested I download this program: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

I knew exactly what the program was, and what it does. I knew where this was going. I'd would have gladly given her remote access to my system but I didn't in order to remove personal information from my system. More importantly, I wanted to prepare myself to properly record the remote access session, contact authorities, and have them present at the live recording in order to insure the evidence is admissible in court.

In short, I'd would be calling Stella back at a number she left with me.

If you receive such a call, or a similar call, be aware, it is a scam. PLEASE spread the word!

Side note: TeamViewer is totally legit. So it the company, and the website. In fact TeamViewer is a good remote access software similar to GoToAssist.

Whois on teamviewer.com: http://whois.domaintools.com/teamviewer.com

Edited by HADES

for future reference, if any1 has this happen to them please report it to the proper authorities, in the usa, that would be the secret service, and if i'm not mistaken the rcmp basically do all the police work in canada, so that would be who to report it to for canadian people