Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

HELP ME BUILD MY COMPUTER!!!

Skanky Tank

Hey guys, my birthday is coming up, and I am trying to convince my parents that I am going to build my own desktop (with the help of a friend who has experience)

I need you guys to help me build a computer!!!

My price range for the computer itself (not monitor or keyboard), should be no more than $~700.

Please put in your favorite piece of gear, (preferably from newegg) that is affordable, or, put together something you think will suit my interests (like assembling all of the needed parts to build a computer).

What I play/want to play is TF2, CS:S, hopefully MW3, Crisis 2, and other semi high end games. I'm looking for a medium performance GAMING computer. I know there is something out there more than 700. Help me out!

Thanks guys!

Hey guys, my birthday is coming up, and I am trying to convince my parents that I am going to build my own desktop (with the help of a friend who has experience)

I need you guys to help me build a computer!!!

My price range for the computer itself (not monitor or keyboard), should be no more than $~700.

Please put in your favorite piece of gear, (preferably from newegg) that is affordable, or, put together something you think will suit my interests (like assembling all of the needed parts to build a computer).

What I play/want to play is TF2, CS:S, hopefully MW3, Crisis 2, and other semi high end games. I'm looking for a medium performance GAMING computer. I know there is something out there more than 700. Help me out!

Thanks guys!

I'll see what I can come up with.

Not this again. Just go to Newegg.com and read the reviews?

Really?

I don't see any skanky tank thread asking for PC build help?

Aren't you in one right now?

I would have no problem if he was posting a general knowledge question about computers, but he's asking people to do all the work for him because he doesn't want to do any research?

Like I've said before about Newegg, it's already set up so you can easily choose the best part for you. You can sort by price, manufacturer, ratings, etc... Most parts have tons of reviews of people saying what they liked and didn't like about a particular piece of equipment from first-hand experience with that particular item.

If he hadn't built a computer before and needed to know what all he needed that's a different thing. I don't think that's the case because he said he has a friend who is experienced in building computers.

I'm not being un-helpful. I'm directing him to a great source to find what he needs.

Edited by Cal45

I thought that since everyone in the clan plays mostly the same games, I thought I'd ask around and see what people would recommend.

and of course I want to do research, I just want some backup on what to buy/ what not to buy. Here, let me put together something and you guys can build off that/add onto.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=14089951

(Tell me if that link doesn't work)

I still need a graphics card and RAM

Edited by Skanky Tank

I thought that since everyone in the clan plays mostly the same games, I thought I'd ask around and see what people would recommend.

and of course I want to do research, I just want some backup on what to buy/ what not to buy. Here, let me put together something and you guys can build off that/add onto.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=14089951

(Tell me if that link doesn't work)

I still need a graphics card and RAM

Yeah link doesn't work, but that's what I'm talking about! Thank you for providing a baseline for what you want and having people tell you if it's good or not.

Here is the wishlist as of now:

(I still need a graphics card and RAM)

wishlist_update_th.jpg

The only thing I have already is my mouse, which I am using right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102064&Tpk=R.A.T.%205

and wtf is this advertising thing every time I say graphics card or something like that :|

Edited by Skanky Tank

If someone hasn't linked you a good recommendation by the time I get home from work in about 4 hours or so, I'll take a look for you. Also, I would add a decent heatsink for the CPU to that because the standard ones that come with them are not that great.

Edited by Cal45

Aren't you in one right now?

I would have no problem if he was posting a general knowledge question about computers, but he's asking people to do all the work for him because he doesn't want to do any research?

Like I've said before about Newegg, it's already set up so you can easily choose the best part for you. You can sort by price, manufacturer, ratings, etc... Most parts have tons of reviews of people saying what they liked and didn't like about a particular piece of equipment from first-hand experience with that particular item.

If he hadn't built a computer before and needed to know what all he needed that's a different thing. I don't think that's the case because he said he has a friend who is experienced in building computers.

I'm not being un-helpful. I'm directing him to a great source to find what he needs.

People are allowed to do that. If you don't want to post a build then don't post in the thread or bash these guys.

Newegg reviews are no different from Youtube comments. They tell you nothing to very little about the product you buy.

Click here for the fantastic Falcon guide.

Use the guide if Terry doesn't post a build.

Newegg/Youtube reviews are the most god awful way to do research. I'll post something up for stanky.

119q88p.jpg

10r1iyv.jpg

I'll post something up for stanky.

stanky appriciates it.

Thanks for putting up those builds!

So- I have a few questions about a few things. and also a few comments

First off, why only have 4 gigs or R.A.M? I see it's gaming, but can you explain what the real difference that it makes/ reason behind it?

and I'm pretty sure my friend has a spare Win. 7 OS disk for me to use, luckly. so that can give me a better price.

I like how the case you picked isn't ricer shit, as in it's not all flashy and says "I SPEND MONEY TO MAKE MY FRIENDS GO WOW, THAT LOOKS AWESOME" and how it comes with 3 fans, always a plus.

I think the 6850 is a great choice, I was having a 'nerd talk' with a couple of my computer friends today and they both had 6850s and I was thinking of getting that.

I am kinda leaning toward the 1st build you posted. Since I hopefully don't need win7, I can throw in a disk drive.

Does the CHALLENGER come with a disk drive???

Also, I just found an amazing combo, and shipping is also free! Haha! I'm going to post a picture in a few minutes of my build that I think will work

Here is my complete computer config that I want you guys to comment/rate or whatever. Theres also like $20 of shipping.

It includes everything I need. (And I can leech relatives for maybe the keyboard or if I'm lucky the moniter)

What do you guys think?

computerfig_th.jpg

Here is my complete computer config that I want you guys to comment/rate or whatever. Theres also like $20 of shipping.

It includes everything I need. (And I can leech relatives for maybe the keyboard or if I'm lucky the moniter)

What do you guys think?

computerfig_th.jpg

Didn't you say that your budget was ~$700? That's about $900.

Edited by Plaayer

Didn't you say that your budget was ~$700? That's about $900.

My Budget for the COMPUTER, not the monitor and the keyboard. The monitor and keyboard I just put in there for a full price estimate kinda thing.

I'm still working on some other options for builds. The moniter and keyboard I'm hoping will be covered by birthday $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hmm that was weird I wasn't able to post in here earlier due to some server error. Anyways, to answer your PM about my build that I sent you, I would recommend a decent heatsink (That one is only about $60). If you get an AMD processor they tend to run a little hot anyways and with the one I linked you, you can overclock no problem.

Guess I'll post this here too:

*edit* holy crap small ass text.

post-4684-13525954471201_thumb.jpg