Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

HELP ME BUILD MY COMPUTER!!!

Skanky Tank

Hmm that was weird I wasn't able to post in here earlier due to some server error. Anyways, to answer your PM about my build that I sent you, I would recommend a decent heatsink (That one is only about $60). If you get an AMD processor they tend to run a little hot anyways and with the one I linked you, you can overclock no problem.

Guess I'll post this here too:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4572[/ATTACH]

*edit* holy crap small ass text.

So, should I get a heatsink, since AMDs overheat? Like are heatsinks optional? I mean if it's really worth the investment I'd probably get it, but my parents are only contributing ~$200, so hopefully my job at Dunkin Donuts pays good tips hahaha

Also, if someone can answer this, which will give superior image quality? HDMI or DVI?? The moniters I've been looking at only some have HDMI and I'm looking for a full HD moniter, I wont be using AVI, so which would be better?

So, should I get a heatsink, since AMDs overheat? Like are heatsinks optional? I mean if it's really worth the investment I'd probably get it, but my parents are only contributing ~$200, so hopefully my job at Dunkin Donuts pays good tips hahaha

Also, if someone can answer this, which will give superior image quality? HDMI or DVI?? The moniters I've been looking at only some have HDMI and I'm looking for a full HD moniter, I wont be using AVI, so which would be better?

Well, having no heatsink is definitely not an option, but a factory heatsink comes in the box with every CPU. You can get by on that if you do not wish to overclock or max the CPU out too much.

And HDMI>DVI like Jake said.

The stock heat-sinks on modern CPU's are plenty good and some even have overclock headroom as the CPU's can take a LOT of heat.

You cannot say HDMI or DVI "image quality" is better on one or another. It depends on your source and your monitor or tv. The quality difference will be MINIMAL. My TV and monitor do both, my monitor is on DVI, TV on HDMI. I've used both and I do not see any difference. The advantage on my TV is that it puts out sound through HDMI (which is VERY clear)

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks , Terry, I was just wondering because I thought that if it wasn't HDMI, it wasn't HD.

and heatsinks, if I find myself $60 short, then I'll just use the standard heatsink.

Also, I have a confusing question that I cannot figure out.

So, I plan on plugging my XBOX into my monitor using HDMI, but what if my monitor doesn't have built in speakers? I use gaming chairs for my Xbox right now, and with the new Xbox slim, I took off the cover for the standard video and 2-way channel sound, so I can stream HDMI to my TV, I just turn down the TV volume to 0 and then hook up my chair, but how would I do this with like simple 2.1 speakers, that just use one jack, would I use my uncovered 2-way channel plugin and buy that adapter that like will take the 2way and turn it into just a 3.5mm jack then buy a reversible plug so I can attach that to my speakers? but then my computer would be without audio and I'd have to switch it out.... It's so confusing!!! Can anyone help?

*THIS IS MY 200TH POST!

Adding to my post above, I think I found something that will work. I can use the built in speakers/HDMI for my xbox, and I can use the 2.1 speakers I'm going to get on my computer and use the DVI for my computer, seeing how the DVI is still HD.tell me if this works, also, if you didn't read my above post and don't think this will work out, please tell me what you think haha.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236067

Can DVI do full 1080P picture?

Thanks , Terry, I was just wondering because I thought that if it wasn't HDMI, it wasn't HD.

and heatsinks, if I find myself $60 short, then I'll just use the standard heatsink.

Also, I have a confusing question that I cannot figure out.

So, I plan on plugging my XBOX into my monitor using HDMI, but what if my monitor doesn't have built in speakers? I use gaming chairs for my Xbox right now, and with the new Xbox slim, I took off the cover for the standard video and 2-way channel sound, so I can stream HDMI to my TV, I just turn down the TV volume to 0 and then hook up my chair, but how would I do this with like simple 2.1 speakers, that just use one jack, would I use my uncovered 2-way channel plugin and buy that adapter that like will take the 2way and turn it into just a 3.5mm jack then buy a reversible plug so I can attach that to my speakers? but then my computer would be without audio and I'd have to switch it out.... It's so confusing!!! Can anyone help?

*THIS IS MY 200TH POST!

You confused the shit out of me.

Adding to my post above, I think I found something that will work. I can use the built in speakers/HDMI for my xbox, and I can use the 2.1 speakers I'm going to get on my computer and use the DVI for my computer, seeing how the DVI is still HD.tell me if this works, also, if you didn't read my above post and don't think this will work out, please tell me what you think haha.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236067

Can DVI do full 1080P picture?

Yes that monitor can play audio through the built in speakers via HDMI cable. DVI can do full 1080p

Sorry for confusing the shit out of you.

but I think I figured it out, no worries.

I figured I didn't need to buy a monitor w/ built in speakers, when I could just buy a gaming headset that is PC and Xbox compatible. I found a much better monitor

CHECK IT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009255

Here is a updated cart, tell me what you guys think of it now

(Sorry about the small text)

post-5756-13525954496085_thumb.jpg

Update: I just ordered my sound system and my monitor!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009255

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836110037

Which should I order next? I was thinking of ordering the case next, but should I get the processor/mobo next or the power supply maybe?

Reply what you guys would think be best to kinda build off of

Update: I just ordered my sound system and my monitor!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009255

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836110037

Which should I order next? I was thinking of ordering the case next, but should I get the processor/mobo next or the power supply maybe?

Reply what you guys would think be best to kinda build off of

That 5MS is REALLY can F up your game-play, just saying. 5MS compared to 2MS, is well...un-comparable. If you are getting a 5MS monitor then use HDMI for less lag from keyboard and mouse to monitor.

Edit: What I meant by lag is the delay. Their will be a 5 millisecond delay between Keyboard+Mouse and the Monitor.

Gaming is what I am basically going to be using it for, but I doubt the 5 millisecond thing will be a problem, and I'm sure I can calibrate it, I'm going to be using HDMI until I can hook up my xbox and then I'm gunna use DVI, but does it REALLY make a difference?

I mean, I just ordered the thing, and a few other friends have told me 5ms isn't really something I should be worrying about

That 5MS is REALLY can F up your game-play, just saying. 5MS compared to 2MS, is well...un-comparable. If you are getting a 5MS monitor then use HDMI for less lag from keyboard and mouse to monitor.

Edit: What I meant by lag is the delay. Their will be a 5 millisecond delay between Keyboard+Mouse and the Monitor.

No, just no