Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Sm_who

ExGBrian

One argument to that would be to say that if non-admin players could find out if there are admins on the server and who exactly, that knowing an admin is on tells players to be on their best behaviour. If they don't know if an admin is on they will keep doing whatever they were doing before they knew an admin was on; this is aimed towards players breaking rules and whatnot. Plus some people just like to troll admins.

I'm neutral on this idea.

One argument to that would be to say that if non-admin players could find out if there are admins on the server and who exactly, that knowing an admin is on tells players to be on their best behaviour. If they don't know if an admin is on they will keep doing whatever they were doing before they knew an admin was on; this is aimed towards players breaking rules and whatnot. Plus some people just like to troll admins.

I'm neutral on this idea.

It's safe to assume that there is always an admin on jailbreak, yet people still act like idiots.

It's safe to assume that there is always an admin on jailbreak, yet people still act like idiots.

True, but in other servers like Minigames for example: there won't be any admins on and there's players trolling and such and then I get a message on Steam from a friend in-game like "Hey can you get in here there's some people being douchebags and such" and I'll be like "Yeah sure no problem".

As soon as I get in and I warn the player/s about whatnot, about 50-80% of the time (depends on the person really) will stop doing whatever they weren't supposed to be doing.

I'm assuming Brian also wants the sm_who command to be a global command for non-admins, not just for Jailbreak non-admins.

At times I have found that jailbreak is without admins. Usually happens in the mornings. On other servers like minigames, there is rarely any admin on, but trouble is usually kept to a minimum.

I too am neutral on this as I do agree on it being a mask for people not to know if there is an admin on (unless the admin uses chat)

In the end we want people to be on their best behavior in the servers. Are you more or less likely to steal from a 7-11 if a cop is at the counter buying a donut?

Ya but if the cop is in disguise and you steal from the 7-11, you pay for your actions and won't do em again.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to deter people from being jerks in the first place.. Why bait people into doing stuff so you can ban them? Sounds like a bit of a power trip to me. If knowing that an admin is in a server will stop some people from acting like idiots, then so let people know admins are around. And really, those who get banned are the ones who troll regardless.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to deter people from being jerks in the first place.. Why bait people into doing stuff so you can ban them? Sounds like a bit of a power trip to me. If knowing that an admin is in a server will stop some people from acting like idiots, then so let people know admins are around. And really, those who get banned are the ones who troll regardless.

She's got the right idea. The most basic premise of police force is not punishment but deterrence. For a clan running gaming servers, it is better that people NOT act up at all than that they act up and get banned/punished for it. You can see it in Jailbreak quite clearly. I'd rather have these closet trolls stay in the closet than to repeatedly step out only to get my foot in their ass guiding them back in.

• Executive Council

You guys have to look at it in the reverse as well.

If we were to make sm_who accessible to everyone then trolls would know when admins are not on.

You guys have to look at it in the reverse as well.

If we were to make sm_who accessible to everyone then trolls would know when admins are not on.

Yes but it seems like this suggestion is mostly for the Jailbreak and Minigames servers, both of which usually have at least one admin on throughout the day (obviously more so for Jailbreak than Minigames). It's like saying you should take out security cameras from stores because stores without them will get robbed too much.

• Executive Council
Yes but it seems like this suggestion is mostly for the Jailbreak and Minigames servers, both of which usually have at least one admin on throughout the day (obviously more so for Jailbreak than Minigames). It's like saying you should take out security cameras from stores because stores without them will get robbed too much.

Its quite the opposite.

There are multiple reasons why making sm_who available to everyone is a bad idea. (Camera analogy was bad....)

If a troll doesn't know if an admin is on or not they are taking a risk. If they know no admin is on, then they know they won't get instantly banned for whatever the fuck they're going to do.

Plus, paying admins are under no obligation to respond to issues arising in the servers. Making sm_who available to non-admins will cause players to bitch more to an admin that doesn't desire to handle whatever they're bitching about (ex, admin didn't see the violation thus doesn't want to handle).

Its quite the opposite.

There are multiple reasons why making sm_who available to everyone is a bad idea. (Camera analogy was bad....)

If a troll doesn't know if an admin is on or not they are taking a risk. If they know no admin is on, then they know they won't get instantly banned for whatever the fuck they're going to do.

Plus, paying admins are under no obligation to respond to issues arising in the servers. Making sm_who available to non-admins will cause players to bitch more to an admin that doesn't desire to handle whatever they're bitching about (ex, admin didn't see the violation thus doesn't want to handle).

This, there is absolutely no reason why non-admins need to know who is an admin on the server. /thread