Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Do you think World of Warcraft will ever die?

McDill

The question is simple, will WoW the MMO leader in active subscriptions ever fall? Why or Why not? The game has at least doubled the player base every year ther first 3 years it tripled. Topping out at around 12 million active subscritions the giant is slowly losing subscribers. Blizzard fired 600 people a few days ago and has reported another 200,000 members leaving making the total a little higher than 10 million. Just a little info the number 2 spot is being held by Aion a game most people say is horrible? If this is so how is it number two in the MMO NA share at around 2.5 - 3 million players. So what do you think? Will WoW ever die? and if so what will kill it?

i think its only half way through its life.

past mmos were hardly a threat, people come back to wow after trying a new game for a month or two.

not many big threats coming up anytime soon... gw2 will sting them hard.

aion and rift are doign whatever they can to try to convince subs to stay

I think GW2 will do well but it's not the same type of MMO that WoW is so i think for PvP it will yank a few over. I my self like PvE a little more so I am trying to find a game that will have a long lasting PvE. I am really hoping Tera will be good in NA it's taken Korea by storm having the largest beta sign up in history and finally knocking Aion out of it's number 1 spot in Korea.

Edited by McDill
add more

I think GW2 will do well but it's not the same type of MMO that WoW is so i think for PvP it will yank a few over. I my self like PvE a little more so I am trying to find a game that will have a long lasting PvE. I am really hoping Tera will be good in NA it's taken Korea by storm having the largest beta sign up in history and finally knocking Aion out of it's number 1 spot in Korea.

Guild Wars 2 suits both , I believe they have PvE and PvP realms, correct?

Edited by GreyLlama

Guest Batters
Guild Wars 2 is suits both, I believe they have PvE and PvP realms, correct?

indeed this is true! GW2 is going to be much more based on playing style, (the dev's have said this) you can complete the game in any number of ways!

Just a little info i found looking at market shares for mmos WoW is actually only sitting on 5 million subscribers in the west they have near 2 million more in the east that is to say WoW is bigger in the east than NA like a lot of people say. Just thought this to be interesting... maybe the giant isn't so big after all? With the next heavy hitter at only 2 million less....

@Teenracer6 in terms of sub fees? cause that's with any triple A mmo

Which is why I dont play MMOs. Sub fees are stupid. You pay $50 for the game, then pay $20 to play it? Fuck that.

And THANK GOD GW2 doesn't require subs. Guild Wars didn't have subs and it was a huge success. Let's hope NcSoft and ArenaNet keep this up for GW3...if and when it comes i out.

From the hg app so don't know how this will come out. But if you think of a game such as a mmo thing require money to keep running. When the moneys gone the games gone. Arenanet does well for its self being part of ncsoft. Arenanets top members designed battle.net so you can see the names and lack of pay are similar. But even gw1 had a different way of making money from plays by having a cash shop and a new expansion or campaign i think is how they word it every 6 months till number 4 which then became guild wars 2. The same is starting with shooting games like gears of war and mw3 you have to pay for the better content like clans and exp rewards and maps. A lot of games and different game types are heading this way sadly. But you get what you pay for most of the time

Swtor has been taking wow customers. With over 2.5 million sold its doing well. Wow is dying that's why blizzard has been developing a free to play but you have to pay for all the good shit in the game. They will actually make more money that way sadly :(

Swtor has been taking wow customers. With over 2.5 million sold its doing well. Wow is dying that's why blizzard has been developing a free to play but you have to pay for all the good shit in the game. They will actually make more money that way sadly :(

If SWTOR made a trial version; More people would probably take the bait

The only bad thing with swtor is end game is still lacking but it will be better in time to come when content is released. Other than that i have to say at the time swtor or rift are the best released AAA mmo titles. Even if subs dont reflect. But sure tera will be there soon to ;). But yeah if you look at market share they have not gained in a year only lost millions. I would not doubt that thats why the 600 were fired. Read that it look like since activision bought blizz that all the main wow makers have left or been fired. And now they fire 600 more....corporate take overs are sad

I think it will either have to evolve, or it will be left behind. just look at Kodak. It had a virtual monopoly on camera's and film for decades. It failed to evolve fast enough to the digital camera revolution and then failed completely.

Everything has its time and place. Even mega giants can tumble and fall if they sit back and enjoy success, in staid of planning for the future.

Wow will not die from subscribers quitting EVER, If it dies, It will be By Blizzard killing there own game after Expansion 5 when we can expect Titan in the 2014 area and just like most people, I will my self will keep my WoW account active but move on To titan, Because Blizzard is the don of MMO's

• 2 weeks later...

WoW won't die, it'll slowly turn into one of the decript old people you see at the home, not many people visit it but boy in its hayday did it kick some ass. Blizzard's going to retire (one of) the greatest MMO the world has seen fairly soon (probably expansion 5 or 6 i believe they said they will cap the level limit at 100 at the end of its lifetime and MoP [expansion 5] is bringing us up to 90)