Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Rules for Admin All Chat

I Love Lamp

This goes for everyone, but is mainly directed at JB admins who can't seem to grasp the concept.

Admin all chat. It can be your friend, or your enemy.

Let's walk through times when it's ok to use admin chat:

When someone is breaking a rule. You can warn them to stop. This is OK!

When someone in the server needs assistance with a server related issue (help with MOTD rules, server commands, etc). This is OK!

When someone needs a reminder of server policy. This is OK!

Further explaining an action you took as an admin (why you slayed, muted, etc). This is OK!

Now, let's see when it's not ok to use admin chat:

Telling someone about how great you think ice fishing is. This is NOT OK!

Saying LOL or PWNED or some other stupid thing to someone after they kill you, you kill them, or you die together after a single, passionate grenade tossed wrong. This is NOT OK!

Asking someone how their day was. This is NOT OK!

Answering an alive person asking a non-server-related question when you are dead(Note: typical situations are: being asking how you are doing; being asked if that rash is gone; being asked how that rash got there in the first place) This is NOT OK!

Chatting idly about how awesome you are (note: Wild Bill is excused from this rule) This is NOT OK!

Entering a random stream of characters into your admin chat, as if a cat danced liltingly upon your keyboard. This is NOT OK!

Entering nothing at all, because you somehow fat fingered the y, shift+2, and enter keys simultaneously ( I recommend a bigger keyboard, fattie). This is NOT OK!

Talking to another admin about anything at all ( you should be using @ in Team comm or PM). This is NOT OK!

Asking people if it's ok to use your powers on them (you don't give them much choice by asking, you are an admin, they don't want to get banned). This is NOT OK!

Ghosting in admin all chat (informing alive players where the opposite team is while you are dead). This is NOT OK!

Anything at all not related to the server or the rules of the server. This is NOT OK!

When you use admin chat excessively and thoughtlessly, it makes the server and community on the whole look bad. Admins who idly chitter on about their day in global chat look like 10 year olds who just bought their admin using mommies' credit card and have already start to worn a groove on their 2 key. It makes you look dumb, it makes the servers look bad, and makes me kick a puppy.

Use chat wisely.

Private chatting other players and admins

It's simple and easy.

First, depending on your target, you either need to start off in regular chat (regular players) or team chat (admins). However, you can also use team chat for regular players if no admin exists with the partial name ( this may have changed, however, it was true the last time I tested it out).

Once your chat cursor is ready to go simply type this in chat:

@@ "full or partial name" message

If I wanted to talk to Homer, for instance, I would type:

@@ "Hom" Hey smelly nice suit where'd you get it, the toilet store?

However, if there were a person named for instance, Homonym, he would receive the message too. If you are unsure if there are any other players that might contain the partial of your target, use their whole name. When in doubt, copy/paste their name from a status of the server.

PM me and I'll give you a personal lesson in my free time if you need extended instruction (My next spot open is Decembuary 14th, 2034)

UPDATE (9/12/2010): Apparently, the new thing in servers is msay use. I understand the allure of it's use, however, because of it's abuse and overuse in certain servers, it's unfortunately from now on, going to be restricted. It should only ever be used for a situation that specifically calls for it. And because I can't think of any right now, that should probably give you a hint on how often it should be used. If I really need to, I'll just start removing admin because of it. But, honestly, do you really want to lose your admin over something that idiotic?

Edited by Jake

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THANK YOU LAMP X

Finally. Admins say they read the motd but they seem to skip the do not talk in admin chat excessively, mainly jailbreak. Pisses me off and I said i'd start telling people to stop spamming in admin chat but now I can just give them a link to this thread. It's a shame how some people help keep the server free of rulebreaker when they are breaking the rules themselves by typing LOL or LMAO or HEY GUYZ or HES IN TOP OF VIP or whatever.

Could you add that to the not to do aswell? No ghosting in admin chat? Alot of the admins in jb start telling everyone where the last ct is when the guy probably doesn't want every t piling in on him in a room.

I try not to use the admin chat unless it is for server rules or to tell someone to get out of vents if I am dead..even if I am not dead...tell someone to stop spraying their spray and stop disrespecting me. I maybe only caught myself a few times using it otherwise, but that is habit from my other server (which use to be up..not anymore..hope will be up soon) but even if I am not an admin..I find myself Y shift2 and then I am like...what the freak did I do that for lols....but no...great post! <3

THANK YOU LAMP X

Finally. Admins say they read the motd but they seem to skip the do not talk in admin chat excessively, mainly jailbreak. Pisses me off and I said i'd start telling people to stop spamming in admin chat but now I can just give them a link to this thread. It's a shame how some people help keep the server free of rulebreaker when they are breaking the rules themselves by typing LOL or LMAO or HEY GUYZ or HES IN TOP OF VIP or whatever.

Could you add that to the not to do aswell? No ghosting in admin chat? Alot of the admins in jb start telling everyone where the last ct is when the guy probably doesn't want every t piling in on him in a room.

Added. Knew I forgot something.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the admins in jailbreak have their own set of rules and one seems to be "SKIP THE RULE ABOUT CONTINUOUSLY TALKING IN ADMIN CHAT" Some of the new admins are ghosting aswell which is annoying, if they can't be patient to wait until the round is over then they don't need to start telling people where the cts are. But it seems I get hated by the new admins when I tell them off or report them :(

Most of the admins in jailbreak have their own set of rules and one seems to be "SKIP THE RULE ABOUT CONTINUOUSLY TALKING IN ADMIN CHAT" Some of the new admins are ghosting aswell which is annoying, if they can't be patient to wait until the round is over then they don't need to start telling people where the cts are. But it seems I get hated by the new admins when I tell them off or report them :(

You do not have to make a post on the forums. You can contact staff/council members and get the matter resolved discretely. Just make sure to have proof which you can email or send to staff and council members.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...