Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Where Should I Put My Christmas Money?

mcwillzz

My Build:

CPU: Intel i7 2700K (@ 4.2GHz)

CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (push/pull)

MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) G.SKILL Sniper 1600Mhz (9-9-9-24)

GPU: 2x MSI 6870 Hawk Edition in crossfire (OC'd)

PSU: Corsair TX750M 750W Modular PSU

SSD: 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 (Boot/Programs)

HDD: 2x 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue in RAID0

Monitor: Acer 23" 60Hz

Mouse: Logitech G500

Keyboard: Logitech G510

Headset: Turtle Beach Z6A

If you had the money to upgrade a component or two, where would you put it and why? I think I'm set on the CPU, RAM, PSU, and GPU's for sure (for now anyway) I was really looking into getting a sound card to top off my build and stop using onboard. The main card I'm considering is the Creative Sound Blaster Z from their new soundcard lineup.

Budget: $300 for any/all upgrades

Gpu to a 7870

Oh sound card, I'm not sure about those.

why would i upgrade from crossfire 6870's to a single 7870?

I don't plan on upgrading my GPU's until the 9xxx series from AMD or 800 series from nVidia (assuming they stay with the current naming scheme) I'm fine with running new games over the next 2-3 years at high/medium as I need too instead of Ultra/very high

I've heard some good things about ASUS' Xonar series, but not much about anything else.

Also, I don't think you can Crossfire a 6870 and a 7870. They are two completely different architectures. I remember seeing a picture somewhere (from AMD) that shows what cards are compatible with each other... let me see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here it is. http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImages/Public/Graphic_Illustrations/WebBannerJPEG/AMD_CrossfireX_Chart_1618W.jpg

Edited by Plaayer