Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Would Like Your Thoughts!

dorito^

I'll say this... in really big letters for people. It's the same answer you'll get each and every time you suggest the GOOD OLE jailbreak quiz.

Jailbreak and ALL server admin privileges are a gift given as thanks for donating to HG. It is not a product purchased with binding conditions. It's a gift of gratitude. It comes with conditions not for the sake of the admin, but the server who has to DEAL with him. People can choose to donate and buy admin as they please, and aren't doing so for the sake of policing the server or its rules. It's a PRESENT with strings attached, not a contract with obligations.

There's a big difference between "Follow these rules or you lose your admin" and "If you break these rules, we will take your admin". The first is an obligation that you are presupposing they are buying into. The second is an after-the-fact condition that does not actually BIND the person to action, but LIMITS their actions from being extreme.

WHAT'S THIS ALL MEAN?

IT'S A GIFT! They're not PAYING FOR admin, they are receiving it and are in no obligation to enforcing the rules.

Point taken. But there is no need to be so fucking cocky about it. I said idea. Idea means "A thought or suggestion as to a possible course of action."

Edited by Enigmo

IT'S A GIFT! They're not PAYING FOR admin, they are receiving it and are in no obligation to enforcing the rules.

Yes.... so with that said, let's not ever attempt to do anything that could help the situation. Let's just stick our heads in the sand and make a big deal every time someone makes a suggestion about trying to improve the admins.

He's making a suggestion. Not everyone will use it. Those that do may learn something. If they don't use it, no loss. This is an additional tool available... it's not the cure all.

One would have think that a Divisional Advisor would have been more open to a member bringing forth ideas on trying to improve the community.

• Like 2

Yes.... so with that said, let's not ever attempt to do anything that could help the situation. Let's just stick our heads in the sand and make a big deal every time someone makes a suggestion about trying to improve the admins.

He's making a suggestion. Not everyone will use it. Those that do may learn something. If they don't use it, no loss. This is an additional tool available... it's not the cure all.

One would have think that a Divisional Advisor would have been more open to a member bringing forth ideas on trying to improve the community.

+1. This exactly. Hear, hear!

Point taken. But there is no need to be so fucking cocky about it.

[VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

Suggestions are fine. Improvements are cool. Members thinking outside the box, I'm all for it.

But this same suggestion has been made numerous times in a hundred different ways by a thousand different people. Call us pessimists, but I, Red, and others have been here long enough to know that a tutorial video for admin simply does not fit what our established goal of the admin system is and how people go about admin. We actually have forum rules now put in place because people make too much of a deal about minor things and blow the forums up with "suggestions" (Headband's beloved Rule 9).

Frankly, I'd love it if we changed the admin system. I would LOVE a system where there are no paid admins, we give admin to people we feel can use it properly, and THEN we make them watch some tutorial video. In fact, were that to happen, I would come back to jailbreak (hopefully as an admin -.-) to play as much as I used to. Problem is, if we did that HG funds would go out in a month and we'd have to shut down the server. Now that's a bit of an exaggeration but not too far off. In any case, until this is the method by which we admin our servers, a tutorial video for people receiving admin simply will not work and does not make sense for how we've approached admin privs (a gift for a donation).

Now if Homer wants to change that policy to where we're calling it a paid subscription for a product... then my entire argument is invalid and you can do w.e you want. But that's his call.............................................................................

Don't go judging my character based on my rank and what you EXPECT me to do. You see someone unnecessarily pessimistic holding back an improvement because you don't take the time to look deep and see the problems with it. My pessimism is based on years of getting to know this game, the community that plays it, and the infrastructure HG has set in place to maintain it.

I could say something just as rude and ad hominem as what you've said here, but it would be just as frivolous, just as off-topic, and just as useful as this. So i won't.

Suggestions are fine. Improvements are cool. Members thinking outside the box, I'm all for it.

Your behavior in this thread shows otherwise.

But this same suggestion has been made numerous times in a hundred different ways by a thousand different people. Call us pessimists, but I, Red, and others have been here long enough to know that a tutorial video for admin simply does not fit what our established goal of the admin system is and how people go about admin. We actually have forum rules now put in place because people make too much of a deal about minor things and blow the forums up with "suggestions" (Headband's beloved Rule 9).

This is pure and simply crap. I don't care if you've been here 5 years or 5 days... pessimism is what kills a community. This has nothing to do with the "established goal of the admin system" and has everything to do with giving new admins and additional tool to learn how to do their jobs.

a tutorial video for people receiving admin simply will not work and does not make sense for how we've approached admin privs (a gift for a donation).

You assume it wont work because that's been your attitude since the get-go. Why not give it a try? Is there a downside to trying it? No.

Don't go judging my character based on my rank and what you EXPECT me to do. You see someone unnecessarily pessimistic holding back an improvement because you don't take the time to look deep and see the problems with it. My pessimism is based on years of getting to know this game, the community that plays it, and the infrastructure HG has set in place to maintain it.

Are you serious with this? That's all I have to judge your character on. You're a "leader" in this community and I'd expect a leader to help lead and innovate the HG product. Someone is offering to help the community. It's not going to cost HG anything. It's not going to change any process within the HG community. It's not going to require any additional time from anyone in HG. So why not give it a try?

I could say something just as rude and ad hominem as what you've said here, but it would be just as frivolous, just as off-topic, and just as useful as this. So i won't.

If questioning a leader of the community is rude then you've got a ton of life experience yet to live.

Just because someone doesn't agree with your idea doesnt mean you have to get all defensive and attack them on it. Laz has a point. As an admin You do not have to do anything at all. You can just have the tags inserver and just chill their. Trust me. Ive seen many do it. As per JB. I have just seen people only admin for themselves (I.E only slay if they get freekilled and things of this sort). I see the Original OP as a great idea as a guide for those of us who wish to actually keep a look out for things and help resolve the issue. But the moment we delve into requiring them to take a quiz or forcing them to watch it their is no point. You can play the video mute the sound and switch to a new tab or screen. By all means do it. Maybe some ppl will watch it but raging at each other in this thread doesn't make either of you look smart or clever. Instead of Us as admins rage at newmins who didnt read the manual maybe we can all be more paitent and more helpful to them instead of instantly getting them banned. When they stop responding to us or dont understand it, Then we can file abuse reports so leadership can handle it.

Just my thoughts

Edited by (Headband)(EG)

maybe we can all be more paitent and more helpful to them instead of instantly getting them banned.

I think this... is the first suggestion in this tread that I both completely support and believe will make a huge difference in the server. Do you know why people break rules so often in Jailbreak? Admins are defensive. People buy admin now just so they can mute those who annoy them, slay those who "freekill" them, and protect themselves from being muted. Admins do their best to not go out of their way to regulate the server for a number of reasons including (1) it takes work, (2) people can get mad at them over time, (3) it takes a bit away from the fun of the server, (4) there's very little reward to doing so, and most importantly (5) it's a huge risk. People report admins for some of the most frivolous and stupid uses of power, and that has made most admins defensive about how they use their privileges. You fix this report first, help later mentality where we start fixing issues in the server in realtime, and you won't need a video manual to teach people. Most admins know the rules and how to enforce them; they're just too scared to do so.

I think this... is the first suggestion in this tread that I both completely support and believe will make a huge difference in the server. Do you know why people break rules so often in Jailbreak? Admins are defensive. People buy admin now just so they can mute those who annoy them, slay those who "freekill" them, and protect themselves from being muted. Admins do their best to not go out of their way to regulate the server for a number of reasons including (1) it takes work, (2) people can get mad at them over time, (3) it takes a bit away from the fun of the server, (4) there's very little reward to doing so, and most importantly (5) it's a huge risk. People report admins for some of the most frivolous and stupid uses of power, and that has made most admins defensive about how they use their privileges. You fix this report first, help later mentality where we start fixing issues in the server in realtime, and you won't need a video manual to teach people. Most admins know the rules and how to enforce them; they're just too scared to do so.

Well said.... agree with this completely.

Still think a video can and would help. :)