Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Gmod Theater Server?

Nipple

anyone ever think about making a HG theater server for gmod?

maybe in some way incorporate the premium system with it? you get maybe 1credit per 10 seconds watched on a video and if you're the one who picked the video you get 2x the credits? then you can use your credits to buy stuff in premium to show off... rent private rooms for yourself to show movies or w/e you want ect.., skip your video to the front of the queue and stuff. maybe someone who is good at maps can edit the theater map a bit and give it an HG touch and such?

+1 -1? just curious if anyone would be interested in this.

i remember when it was THE gmod theater, i spent so much time in it and it was so fun, then it was cancelled by the guy who made it.. i was sad.. but now i've noticed there have been a few of these new ones springing up.. and maybe its still early enough we can get on the radar and get some regulars in there and make it decently popular?

an alternative, is to add a TV mod inside of perp or ocrp.

so you cna watch and share videos while waiting for drugs to grow

or maybe even a threater inside the map

both kigen and conckers have expressed interest in this subject before

• Like 1

• Executive Council

I'd like to add it to PERP.

The problem is time. Its a pretty big project to integrate that into PERP. Synchronizing videos across multiple clients is not easy. Displaying videos require careful coding as a crash in the in-game browser will cause your game to crash as well.

seems like a pretty big project/harder/more time consuming to put that into perp? i mean yeah that would make it cooler but i think you could get more popularity/support from a standalone gmod theater server rather than putting it inside of perp. maybe having a standalone server and a smaller theater inside of perp? i don't know, i've only coded in c++ (and other EE coding language) so im not sure how coding works for the source engine and such. maybe you could find some code elsewhere you could use as a framework or guide instead of starting from scratch.

seems like a pretty big project/harder/more time consuming to put that into perp? i mean yeah that would make it cooler but i think you could get more popularity/support from a standalone gmod theater server rather than putting it inside of perp. maybe having a standalone server and a smaller theater inside of perp? i don't know, i've only coded in c++ (and other EE coding language) so im not sure how coding works for the source engine and such. maybe you could find some code elsewhere you could use as a framework or guide instead of starting from scratch.

The problem with making an entirely new server is that it costs time and money, where as coding a tv into perp costs only time.

The problem with making an entirely new server is that it costs time and money, where as coding a tv into perp costs only time.

i understand that.. but while time is used to code and set up the server and all the things that go along with it (which would probably take a month+) some of the donation money HG receives could be set aside for when the server is actually created. a gmod theater server (At least i believe) has a much better chance at success by bringing in more regulars (thus possible donators) into the HG realm of things rather than some of the current HG servers that have been completely ignored, (at least recently). its just an idea, obviously it needs more support and a few people to take on the task.

a good starting point would be to code and bring in a small scale version into perp, then once bugs are handled and new features added it can be expanded upon into a server of its own.

• Executive Council

The problem is getting YouTube working inside of GMod and synchronized. The GMod 12 theater server relied on a heavily modified version of PlayX.

The problem is getting YouTube working inside of GMod and synchronized. The GMod 12 theater server relied on a heavily modified version of PlayX.

Days the guy who recoded an entire gamemode for gmod 13 xD

I think it's better off in perp, more population.