Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Surf Dm Rule Suggestion

jajolt

I think that no one should be allowed to spawn kill, or at least build sentries in the other team's spawn. I go there to practice surf while having fun playing tf2. Not be spawn killed before I can even get on the platform. Just makes it no fun.

I get on the server and someone says "I get why no one plays on this server anymore. Too much spawn killing" so if might bring up server population

Edited by Grease Lightning

I swear I made this a rule before but I guess since the new website the MOTD got deleted. I can't update the MOTD now but yes I do believe you can't spawn camp WITH A SENTRY! You may go in as say a spy and try to get a bunch of backstabs by going to the enemy spawn but a level 3 sentry in your spawn can get a little annoying.

EDIT: Before I try and make this official I will discuss it with Dynas when he gets home from work tonight.

Maybe we could get spawn protection? :D

Naw, cuz then ie, scouts couldn't jump over and kill, which according to digital, is okay (as their gun isn't as frequent + they dont have as much health) With sentries, it will fire at any enemy meaning you have no chance of leaving spawn.

EDIT: 2 more questions while we're at it.

Can classes (ESP. Pyro & heavy) camp another teams spawn and kill the players on the team so often that they cannot surf?

Can people kill afks to cheat our VIP system/pointwhore/level up guns?

Naw, cuz then ie, scouts couldn't jump over and kill, which according to digital, is okay (as their gun isn't as frequent + they dont have as much health) With sentries, it will fire at any enemy meaning you have no chance of leaving spawn.

EDIT: 2 more questions while we're at it.

Can classes (ESP. Pyro & heavy) camp another teams spawn and kill the players on the team so often that they cannot surf?

Can people kill afks to cheat our VIP system/pointwhore/level up guns?

We allow people to level up their guns if they want, I'm kinda on the fence right now though on whether or not to allow people in the other spawn (no sentries) or just have spawn protection completely seeing as how you do bring up a valid point about VIP point farming which we don't really allow.

We allow people to level up their guns if they want, I'm kinda on the fence right now though on whether or not to allow people in the other spawn (no sentries) or just have spawn protection completely seeing as how you do bring up a valid point about VIP point farming which we don't really allow.

So VIP point farming is bannable, I assume? If thats the case how do I detect the difference between killing afks to level up a gun and doing it to farm VIP? If they say "Oh i was just leveling up my strange." when approached, I assume I have to believe that?

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=605094 <--- Could still be bypassed if there was an afker, but does protect active people.

So VIP point farming is bannable, I assume? If thats the case how do I detect the difference between killing afks to level up a gun and doing it to farm VIP? If they say "Oh i was just leveling up my strange." when approached, I assume I have to believe that?

http://forums.allied...ad.php?p=605094 <--- Could still be bypassed if there was an afker, but does protect active people.

If that person is doing it then just call a vote kick against them. That spawn protection mod only protects them for a certain amount of time so even if they are afk that mod won't matter.

If that person is doing it then just call a vote kick against them. That spawn protection mod only protects them for a certain amount of time so even if they are afk that mod won't matter.

Do we have an AFK mod on our server? That might take care of it. If there is no motion for (x) minutes then you are auto kicked and if there is no movement for (x) minutes then you are moved to spec?

Moreover I admin on tf2 servers, so I'd imagine it is still a ban after the kick if they continue VIP farming?

Do we have an AFK mod on our server? That might take care of it. If there is no motion for (x) minutes then you are auto kicked and if there is no movement for (x) minutes then you are moved to spec?

Moreover I admin on tf2 servers, so I'd imagine it is still a ban after the kick if they continue VIP farming?

Yeah just warn them then if they do it, kick then ban for 2 hours.

Also I don't think we have a idle mod on the server cuz sometimes me or Dirty idle on another account in spectate to try and fill the server up

Yeah just warn them then if they do it, kick then ban for 2 hours.

Also I don't think we have a idle mod on the server cuz sometimes me or Dirty idle on another account in spectate to try and fill the server up

Well isn't there some sort of mod that makes it so the server cant kick people for ping/afk/whatever? Ik we have it on CSS but it would also make a good addition (on top of an idle mod) to allow population etc. Either way, my suggestion in the end are to help fill the server up.. From my understanding (based on what has been said in the server) we have a reputation for spawnkillers/annoying things. As stated, the rules dont say anything for players. So just eliminating the bad reputation + advertising it to more HG members will help. Also mods would, but thats not what this topic is lol.

Well isn't there some sort of mod that makes it so the server cant kick people for ping/afk/whatever? Ik we have it on CSS but it would also make a good addition (on top of an idle mod) to allow population etc. Either way, my suggestion in the end are to help fill the server up.. From my understanding (based on what has been said in the server) we have a reputation for spawnkillers/annoying things. As stated, the rules dont say anything for players. So just eliminating the bad reputation + advertising it to more HG members will help. Also mods would, but thats not what this topic is lol.

I can talk to Dirty about this. We were talking earlier about spawn protection issue and he said that we really don't need it for now because it's a little difficult to get to the other spawn sometimes. Unless they're rolling no-clip in the server?

I can talk to Dirty about this. We were talking earlier about spawn protection issue and he said that we really don't need it for now because it's a little difficult to get to the other spawn sometimes. Unless they're rolling no-clip in the server?

No, it's that most of the maps have some way to get to the others spawn. Generally it can be easy. For example, on of my favorite maps is the surf_10x_reload map. I can get to every single location on the map and I have really mastered surf on there. However, getting into spawns is incredibly easy. You can:

Surf correctly and get to the spot in between spawns, go up, and jump off the grass at the top, look for the hanging land part, jump on it and get in.

You can also get there from jail but you'd need it opened.

EDIT: I see you added the sentry rule :). That should clear things up but spawn killing is still an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to necro the thread but whatever.

Something really needs to be done about regular spawnkilling. Today I was afk for 10 minutes and my score dropped to the negatives and fucked it so much that I don't get points for kills.

Lol, I play on that server a lot and I agree spawn killing is a common problem. But I don't agree with spawn protection :/ As long as jajolt or some other admin is active, it should be okay. And yes, it should go on rules too!

Still isn't a rule that you can't spawnkill. If its getting to the point where you cant play the game or it is vip whoring then i can do something. But if I'm afk and this happens who can do anything?

Still isn't a rule that you can't spawnkill.

Ehrm... what about "adding" or making a rule for how long you can stay in the enemy's spawn 5sec-10sec? no mather if you're killing or just derping around..

That will allow spawnkilling which is a part of a surf server (IMO) but you can also do something if they camp for more..

yes/no?

-Toast

You know, me, Reddevil, Archer and Bonbon used to go to spawn just to kill AFK kids. You're so lucky we don't have rtd on that server anymore. The amount of toxic in the enemy spawn was hilarious. 200 kill streaks.

My main point is do you guys really want spawn camping disabled? Personally I enjoy messing around and trying to get to the other spawn.

You know, me, Reddevil, Archer and Bonbon used to go to spawn just to kill AFK kids. You're so lucky we don't have rtd on that server anymore. The amount of toxic in the enemy spawn was hilarious. 200 kill streaks.

My main point is do you guys really want spawn camping disabled? Personally I enjoy messing around and trying to get to the other spawn.

I think its fine to have it allowed but I believe that it should have a time limit. I agree with toast, 5-10 seconds is enough to dick around with someone because if you are trying to surf and you can't because you saying stop gets spammed over by the

"Some guy got 2 points for killing this other guy" then what can you do? You'll probably disconnect and not come back for awhile.

• Like 1