Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

I Need Some Help.

blackberry4511

So, recently i've noticed something strange recently with my internet/connection.

So, heres some background Information about my current internet set up.

Modem: RCA DHG535-2

Wireless Modem: Cisco WRT160n

So, I have my man computer hardwired to the wireless modem because it has multiple Ethernet ports while the regular modem doesn't. So, whenever i have some family over or something and they hope on the wireless, download speeds drop, my game turns to shit and im not able to access my work. So, what i am asking is, if its my wireless modem or the actual modem itself or both. Im also asking for recommendations as which ones o should get to replace my current one(s). Any help would be great. thanks

QoS would be the first way to do it

You don't really need to replace it if you don't need longer range (or other needs)

Also, flash it with DD-WRT if it's out of warranty (just in case something breaks XD), it adds alot functionality that was previously hidden to most consumers... some of which can help you with these 'lag' issues

I

QoS would be the first way to do it

You don't really need to replace it if you don't need longer range (or other needs)

Also, flash it with DD-WRT if it's out of warranty (just in case something breaks XD), it adds alot functionality that was previously hidden to most consumers... some of which can help you with these 'lag' issues

Here comes the dumb questions:

1. What is a Qos?

2. What is a DD-WRT?

Also, its not the wireless thats lagging its the hardwire connection to my computer. Which is confusing but i think its because the wireless modem is having a hard time spreading out the internet. Oh and the modem isn't mine, its a "rental" from Comcast and they even suggested that i buy my own. So really, i want to replace the modem i have, which is 4+ years old, with a nice new one.

I recently went thru some similiar issues with a low end wireless router. The load was just to much, as I started running a server box. I upgraded to the netgear r6300, and now it can handle the server box, 3 pcs on LAn and the 6 or 7 wifi devices. (I share my internet with the cute girl next door. My old Cisco router coudnt handle 8 users on my frog box now I can do 35+ ppl on it, with no lag issues. and nothing change except my router, also I get signal in my garden, which is far from my router and eliminated the repeater I had in there.

Couldn't this also be a bandwidth issue from having not so good internet to begin with?

That is a possibility but due to what he said here:

So, whenever i have some family over or something and they hope on the wireless, download speeds drop, my game turns to shit and im not able to access my work.

We can assume in good faith that his internet is subjectively good enough for him to paly

So, what i am asking is, if its my wireless modem or the actual modem itself or both. Im also asking for recommendations as which ones o should get to replace my current one(s). Any help would be great. thanks

The answer to that is your wireless router. Your modem itself doesn't care about the internet it receives/transmits rather it is a 'dummy' device coded by your ISP to handle the actual signals which then is processed by your NIC (in the case of bridge mode) or your router (in your case).

The reason why I recommend QoS is because most of the older routers/modems didn't know how to handle certain traffic (such as WMM instructions or 802.11e but those are plenty outdated and most of the new routers will handle it without an issue) but more so it didn't know how to prioritise what the user wanted to come in first. Many routers already had built in but due to the firmware most networking companies put on consumer routers, you couldn't.

I have a Linksys WRT160NL which is flashed with DD-WRT (it's way out of warrenty by now but still works fine). It really does open up alot of things new routers have for this old router. Mind you DD-WRT is for the more technically inclined. It can break things if you don't use the right settings and firmware.

http://www.dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/Installation

This is a good place to start if you're interested in saving some money but want to try this firmware out. Like I said, it does void your warrenty!

Finally, most consumer grade routers are fine, check reviews to see if there are ones that have a tendency to die. For example, one of our ISPs 'Shaw' don't seem to like D-Link routers and have a tendency to drop connectivity with it. I'm not even sure how true it is but do your research.

I got my parents a Western Digital router and setup was easy with QoS / WMM support. I think I got the mid-grade one seeing as they had a few more devices than most consumers do >.<.

Not to threadjack but i've got a question about my own router.

When I'm on my computer and several other devices are connected to the internet everything works ok. But for some reason when someone turns on a ps3 in the house, 100% of the time I will lose connection to the internet for about 20-30 seconds before regaining it. It's a pain in the ass when I'm in esea, or a 10man. It will also do the same thing after playing a game and going back to the title screen of the ps3, or when downloading an update for the game or system itself.

And one final thing that's become an issue more frequently is that suddenly I will begin losing connection to the internet for what seems to be no reason (I haven't noticed what causes it if anything, or if the router/modem are just dying.) and the only way to regain connection is by restarting both my modem and router. Sometimes it will be only myself that loses connection, or sometimes it's everyone. (This is even more of a pain in the ass when I'm in esea or a 10man because it will take a few minutes to restart)

That is a possibility but due to what he said here:

We can assume in good faith that his internet is subjectively good enough for him to paly

The answer to that is your wireless router. Your modem itself doesn't care about the internet it receives/transmits rather it is a 'dummy' device coded by your ISP to handle the actual signals which then is processed by your NIC (in the case of bridge mode) or your router (in your case).

The reason why I recommend QoS is because most of the older routers/modems didn't know how to handle certain traffic (such as WMM instructions or 802.11e but those are plenty outdated and most of the new routers will handle it without an issue) but more so it didn't know how to prioritise what the user wanted to come in first. Many routers already had built in but due to the firmware most networking companies put on consumer routers, you couldn't.

I have a Linksys WRT160NL which is flashed with DD-WRT (it's way out of warrenty by now but still works fine). It really does open up alot of things new routers have for this old router. Mind you DD-WRT is for the more technically inclined. It can break things if you don't use the right settings and firmware.

http://www.dd-wrt.ca...hp/Installation

This is a good place to start if you're interested in saving some money but want to try this firmware out. Like I said, it does void your warrenty!

Finally, most consumer grade routers are fine, check reviews to see if there are ones that have a tendency to die. For example, one of our ISPs 'Shaw' don't seem to like D-Link routers and have a tendency to drop connectivity with it. I'm not even sure how true it is but do your research.

I got my parents a Western Digital router and setup was easy with QoS / WMM support. I think I got the mid-grade one seeing as they had a few more devices than most consumers do >.<.

2511469963.png

I mean look at this shit. Nobody's even using the internet in my house. IM HOME BY MYSELF!

As for the the whole dd-wrt thing, im not technically advanced in anyway, sadly. So ill just go buy a new wireless router. I find it frusteration on how it just randomly drops the ball on my face.