Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Port Forwarding Telus Actiontec V1000H

Poohunter

I recently wanted to set up a minecraft server for me and a few IRL friends to play with. I did just about everything as it should have been. Router is an Actiontec V1000H, ISP is Telus.

Entered my PC's IPv4 address (yes I made it static, and yes I checked a hundred times to see if it was the right address)

TCP/UDP protocol

Starting and ending port 25565

Port map 25565

It seems like port forwarding should be the easiest thing to do here, but when I look up the port on canyouseeme.org, all I get is:

Error: I could not see your service on (leaving out external IP here) on port (25565). Reason: Connection refused

So I spent the past few days on this. I tried port forwarding any way possible. I looked it up on portforward.com, tried what they said to do there, still doesn't work. I tried disabling WAN PING block mode and setting the firewall security level down to low, still didn't help. I tried disabling windows firewall through my control panel too, which also didn't work. I also tried disabling UPnP, nothing. I'm starting to believe it could just be a problem with the router, but I've heard tales of people who managed to do it successfully, and I tried doing what they said, which still didn't work.

I mean, it should be a pretty straightforward process right?

And before one of you suggest Hamachi... no.

Copy pasta:

the Minecraft server. 25565/TCP.

1. Starting Port, 25565.

2. Ending Port, 25565.

3. Protocol, Select TCP.

4. LAN IP Address, 192.168.0.50

5. Starting Port, 25565.

6. Ending Port, 25565.

7. Set Remote IP Address, 0.0.0.0.

8. Click the Apply button. Work is complete

Also this specific model seems to have port forwarding issues with older firmware.

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/r26652180-AB-Telus-Actiontec-V1000h-port-forwarding-issue

Telus doesn't actively block 25565 so you should be ok on the routing end.

That site does not seem reliable, i just tested my known open port and it failed.

did you make sure that you had port forwarding enabled? I just did this the other day for Terraria and my router had a check box next to each set of ports you were trying to open that enabled your settings.

Copy pasta:

Also this specific model seems to have port forwarding issues with older firmware.

https://secure.dslre...orwarding-issue

Telus doesn't actively block 25565 so you should be ok on the routing end.

Thanks for the quick replies here guys. Turns out shortkid was right and that site was unreliable. Also turns out the reason why I couldn't connect was NOT because of my ports, but rather because my router doesn't accept incoming connections to itself. I gave the IP to my friend and it worked fine. Thanks for all the help anyway.

Edited by Poohunter

If you portforward just your router it will only work in a lan situation because the modem will still be blocking incoming requests.

Connect to the modem with whatever computer you are running the server on and portforward to your inside ipv4 address.

canyouseeme is a reliable source for checking open ports just make sure you have the port open on your modem or whatever is the main connection to your dns server and have the server/application running on it.

I see that you have figured it out though just wanted to give a little extra help because I had the same issue when making a minecraft server for me and my friends.

If you portforward just your router it will only work in a lan situation because the modem will still be blocking incoming requests.

Modems are a layer 1 device not a layer 2 or higher device so naturally modems can't purposefully 'drop packets' unless predefined to (by either being an all-in-one gateway/modem or having the block happen BEFORE it reaches the modem itself e.g. the ISP)

Connect to the modem with whatever computer you are running the server on and portforward to your inside ipv4 address.

He wouldn't have to port forward if he was going through his modem as modems will not employ NAT on his computer.

Modems are a layer 1 device not a layer 2 or higher device so naturally modems can't purposefully 'drop packets' unless predefined to (by either being an all-in-one gateway/modem or having the block happen BEFORE it reaches the modem itself e.g. the ISP)

Forgot about that, I am using a modem right now though that wont allow any port forwarding from ports that aren't already predefined.

He wouldn't have to port forward if he was going through his modem as modems will not employ NAT on his computer.

What? when I ran the server while simply being connected to the modem it had the ports closed and I had to port-forward :/