Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Should I Buy A Car Now Or Wait?

Silly

I need some advice! Should I buy a car now, or wait until I have my license? I do not have my permit yet, but if I find a car at a good price, do you think it would be a good idea to buy it, take care of it until I get my license, or just wait? thanks!

edit: I forgot to add that I am 15

Edited by Silibrian

If you let it sit through seasons/weather it's going to take some damage. I'd recommend putting the money aside, but waiting until you buy.

thanks for the advice! One good thing is, I live in sunny San Diego, CA, so weather isn't really an issue here :P barely ever rains, and most of the time its 70 degrees :)

thanks for the advice! One good thing is, I live in sunny San Diego, CA, so weather isn't really an issue here :P barely ever rains, and most of the time its 70 degrees :)

You'd still have to change your oil etc, and its good to at least run the car every so often, But if you see a great deal on a nice ride, do it up!

I bought my car at 15 1/2 before I got my permit, but that was because it was a good price. Still working on it, but that's what I wanted anyways. Regardless, you shouldn't buy your car this early unless you're looking for a car that you're going to put a lot of hours into before you can even drive it. If you want a car that you can start up and just go right off the bat, you should wait until you have your license (or atleast, your permit) before really buying a car.

Actually, the main question is; are you buying the car yourself?

Do you have a job to pay for it, the insurance, maintenance. Is the money (all of it) earned by you. Not your parents, not doing chores or w.e for money by your parents.

If it's your parents money, (nothing wrong with it, don't lie, most people including my self get spoiled.) then by all means, get a car; if they have the money to get you one.

If it's your money, DO NOT buy a car, you don't need one at that age.

I know I can not really talk here since i'm almost 19 and i do have my own car which i got off my mom since she wanted a new car (i was 17 and 3 months done high school when i got it) but when i graduated 2 years ago from high school, I laughed at all the broke people thinking they are the shit since they have a car with a low paid shit job to pay for gas.

Moral here, wait till the very end of high school or university/better job. Just keep saving for now, then buy a cheap, reliable car. Boom, you have a car, insurance all that stuff AND extra money to have fun with or save, then you don't have to be living the average college life which is shit btw, don't get tricked into believing that eating KD for breakfast, lunch and dinner is "fun".

• Like 1

I was thinking the same way you are, when I was 13 doe.

I really love cars.

But yeah, save up money. Don't buy it now. Cars don't like to be sat around for long periods of time.

And the insurance would still cost money.

Also have a job when you buy a car. Shit happens. I got unlucky with my car, I wish I could have pitched money in to repair my cars.

• 4 weeks later...