Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

New Processor And Mobo Help

Donny1020

hey guys, im just looking for some advice/help on what a decent combo of processor and mobo would be.

Budget is around $300-$400

keep in mind im canadian and ordering from american sites is much more costly. if you plan on helping me, try to look at newegg.ca as it is my main site for ordering things.

thanks in advance guys :)

(ps, if i require a new power supply for the set up, please let me know as well, i can make a budget for that separately.)

hey guys, im just looking for some advice/help on what a decent combo of processor and mobo would be.

Budget is around $300-$400

keep in mind im canadian and ordering from american sites is much more costly. if you plan on helping me, try to look at newegg.ca as it is my main site for ordering things.

thanks in advance guys :)

(ps, if i require a new power supply for the set up, please let me know as well, i can make a budget for that separately.)

What psu do you have?

Ok since I am having issues finding what size the motherboard is I am assuming it is micro atx.

Personally I'd just pull the hdd and disk drive out of the case and build a new one. This is because you need a psu, cpu, and motherboard. Hell the ram might work too. Cases are relatively cheap and idk if you have a gpu in it or not, but you'll have more room for one when the time comes.

• 2 weeks later...

Im going to reccomend to redo the motherboard as you socket is discontinued and DDR3 as you are using DDR2 which is not current

So, I put together a system that goes over your price tag but will give you a descent system

here goes

ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157460) - $124.99

Intel Core i7-4771 Haswell 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I74771 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116941) - $320

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-661) - $75

OR you can stick to your old system and go with a minor CHEAP update under $100 because your socket is discontinued but just keep in mind your socket is LGA775 socket AKA "Socket T" and any processer you buy needs to be that size or it will not work with your motherboard. Also your case is "ATX Form Factor", unless you buy that size/form of motherboard, it will not fit in your case. Also if you do buy a motherboard with DDR3, do not try or attempt to use your DDR2 RAM in it because it will not work and it may break your motherboard (unless its dual support which is uncommon). I dont know your graphics card but you may also want to look into buying a new one if you do choose to upgrade your PC. Feel free to look around for your LGA775 socket, most of it is used and taken out of computers but they may still be good. Also feel free to shop around on newegg and look at other options for your motherboard and processer, you may even choose to go with a differient socket like LGA 1155.

I hope you find this useful.

But I think your power supply will work with that setup if you choose not to buy a new graphics card. I looked up your model and its using outdated connections. Most new graphic cards wouldn't work with it. Below is your current power supply. The current power supply should work with the motherboard I had above. Some cards I have been looking at like the GTX 780 recommends a 600W power supply but I dont think you will be buying that.

Connectors Included in yours:

20-Pin Mini ATX System Board Connector (1)

Serial ATA (SATA) Connector (2)

Power (IDE) Connector (3)

4 Pin ATX +12V Power Connector (1)

Floppy Drive (FDD) Connector (2)