Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Learning Coding

epicgamercharchar1312[UK]

I was just wondering if anybody had a recommendation/preference on what code to learn before learning SourceMod. I'm trying to learn it and not understanding much, but I hear that other languages are fairly similar, so I want to try to learn one of them to gain a basic understanding of Coding.

tyty :)

C++ may be a good way to start, as its simpler (at first) and allows you to learn what's going on under the hood. Starting with C# isn't bad either, as it's similar to C, but has more high level constructs to get things done faster. C# also allows you to use C and C++ concepts such as pointers and references if you enable "unsafe" code.

Id be happy to help teach, but i'm not sure how good I am at explaining things clearly. It would be more of a "learn by short examples, with an explanation of what's happening and why".

With C#, visual studio is a great ide to use. The only downside is that it's pretty massive.

There are also plugins for Visual Studio that add support for sourcepawn in the ide.

An alternative would be MonoDevelop, which is smaller, works on all platforms, but doesntt have all the cool features of Visual Studio.

Edited by Techmo