Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Damn cooling thingy

RedDevil6193

So my cpu was getting hot on my desktop and it was keep giving me notifications.

I decided to take it out, put new paste and then put it back.

In between i think i derped and it went into the holes of the thing where processor goes and some on processor.

See pics below to understand what i am talking about lol.

What should i do now??

post-5801-13525955571135_thumb.jpg

post-5801-13525955571562_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

my suggestion is to get a shop vaccum, and blow all of it out of the holes

Are you serious? Vacuums have retarded amounts of static electricity. My mother blew our television up with a tiny shitty 15 dollar vacuum. don't go near it with the shop vac

ok you have to be very careful with this....

Take a very small plastic tooth pick (or wood plastic wont break) and dip it in rubbing alcohol (GET 85% rubbing alcohol or higher you can get 99% at most places and that is best). Get it all out very carefully. Once it is clean let it sit for a few hours.

DO NOT BEND THE PINS, you will have a bad time.

Also what paste is it?

Many paste now days do not conduct electricity so its shouldnt be an issue, if its AS or something then it is conductive.

Are you serious? Vacuums have retarded amounts of static electricity. My mother blew our television up with a tiny shitty 15 dollar vacuum. don't go near it with the shop vac

dude.. I did that with my broken computer and it fixed it idk what your talking about

ok you have to be very careful with this....

Take a very small plastic tooth pick (or wood plastic wont break) and dip it in rubbing alcohol (GET 85% rubbing alcohol or higher you can get 99% at most places and that is best). Get it all out very carefully. Once it is clean let it sit for a few hours.

DO NOT BEND THE PINS, you will have a bad time.

Also what paste is it?

Many paste now days do not conduct electricity so its shouldnt be an issue, if its AS or something then it is conductive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00405GDNO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

ok thanks, i used that btw.

You will most likely have to replace the motherboard :/ With the thermal grease getting into the CPU socket, there's no saving it. If and when you get a new M/B and you are going to use the same CPU, make sure there's no residue on any of the individual pins.

Dam dude that sucks, I would Definitely use a shop vac... those processors can handle the static zaps [sarcasm].

So, No shop vac. How easy is it to move? Would you be able to use a can of compressed air to blow some extra off and then use the toothpick method? I don't know what you can do with the paste in the socket holes

Dam dude that sucks, I would Definitely use a shop vac... those processors can handle the static zaps [sarcasm].

So, No shop vac. How easy is it to move? Would you be able to use a can of compressed air to blow some extra off and then use the toothpick method? I don't know what you can do with the paste in the socket holes

The socket holes is the pain in ass, cause the holes are so fucking tiny idk how to get it out from there.