Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Paid/free Admin Bug

Burnt

Well I've noticed this a majority in my return, but also when I was a free admin before my LOA. I'd say 35% of the time I play JB my admin magically decides to leave. It especially likes doing this when there is admining to be done. First off I was wondering if anyone knows the reason for this, as I know when my admin goes away so does everyone else's (except root). Second, I'd like to know which is the better thing to do in this situation :

CT ends up baiting/free killing and needs to be slain.

I would slay except my admin decides to leave.

Normally it comes back the next round which could be a long time so, should I (A) slay next round which the CT may not know what he did or (B ) give another warning through ALL chat the next round.

• Like 1

Well I've noticed this a majority in my return, but also when I was a free admin before my LOA. I'd say 35% of the time I play JB my admin magically decides to leave. It especially likes doing this when there is admining to be done. First off I was wondering if anyone knows the reason for this, as I know when my admin goes away so does everyone else's (except root). Second, I'd like to know which is the better thing to do in this situation :

CT ends up baiting/free killing and needs to be slain.

I would slay except my admin decides to leave.

Normally it comes back the next round which could be a long time so, should I (A) slay next round which the CT may not know what he did or (B ) give another warning through ALL chat the next round.

I used to notice this quite a bit in TF2's JB server... it would disappear for a few rounds. I see it happen quite a bit on the CSS JB server now as well.

Here is how I handle the situation.... I tell the player that they need to slay themselves. If they don't do it then I have another admin do it (if they are able) and if not, I'll do it when admin returns.

I used to notice this quite a bit in TF2's JB server... it would disappear for a few rounds. I see it happen quite a bit on the CSS JB server now as well.

Here is how I handle the situation.... I tell the player that they need to slay themselves. If they don't do it then I have another admin do it (if they are able) and if not, I'll do it when admin returns.

Yes it tends to happen quite often for me, not as much others but sometimes nobody will have it and we have to wait

Pretty much our database ( not Steam's ) decides to arbitrarily take a coffee break ( gets over queried / loaded / DDOS'ed / fat ) and the game server can no longer verify if a player should have admin so to be safe it drops their admin privileges entirely. We use to have a cache system that minimized this downtime, but it has gone the way of the dodo and so for now you just have to deal with it.

Edited by Papa John
  • Like 1

Pretty much our database ( not Steam's ) decides to arbitrarily take a coffee break ( gets over queried / loaded / DDOS'ed / fat ) and the game server can no longer verify if a player should have admin so to be safe it drops their admin privileges entirely. We use to have a cache system that minimized this downtime, but it has gone the way of the dodo and so for now you just have to deal with it.

Seems legit, yeah it used to never drop it but that was like 20 12 - early 2013

Mostly right. In order to have instant pay admin, we have to have our admin reload itself from the MySQL database every once and a while. Problem is, we have been experiencing database problems, so we had to set the update frequency to 60 seconds in order to

try to fix mysql timeouts

But because our queries are threaded' date=' it takes between 1-10 seconds from the time the admin cache is dumped, until it is retrieved again. Resulting in 1-10 seconds of downtime every 60 seconds.

Seems legit, yeah it used to never drop it but that was like 20 12 - early 2013

And yes, it used to update every 3 minutes, but it was changed to every 1 minute. Which is why it seems to happen a lot more as of recently.

tl;dr

Anyways, long story short, I've added something for that 1-10 second period in between when the cache is dumped, until it is retrieved again. Effective 1-2 server restarts from now, we should be all good.

• Like 2

Sounds like i'm having the same issue on GMOD. I have gold but when I pull up the ulx menu, no admin commands show.

Same idea, every minute or so the server will go over every player and attempt to get information from the admin database to see if the player has admin and what group to assign them to. If it can't connect to the database it just makes their group the default (user) user group and they can no longer use admin commands.

However, because it checks every minute, that means as soon as the database is reachable again you will get your admin commands back.

Edited by Papa John