Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

New Build With Evga Gtx 980

Your power supply is plenty big. Even if you want to SLI in the future you will be fine. If you care about airflow and how your rig looks in side, get a modular Power supply even if its less watts then a large capacity one you way be looking at. I personally prefer Intel CPU's because I feel like AMD tries to put as much power into their CPU's without as much optimization. You can always get an I5 if your main purpose for your rig is gaming instead of an I7 if you want to save money. I recommend using http://pcpartpicker.com to at least get all your parts organized and maybe even post your list here. It is also helpful to find where each part sells for the cheapest.

I hope that helped :)

Yeah i do not think that it will bottleneck with the 8350. That CPU has some pretty good performance for the price and the way i see it is. If the CPU ever fails then it will be only half as much to replace and 180$ vs 330$ is a pretty big difference for not too much performance it seems like. ill go ahead and give some more info.

i have this case already (corsair c70white) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139014&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Computer+Cases-_-N82E16811139014&gclid=CjwKEAjw2MOhBRCq-Nr87_j-lDASJAAl4FNhP6WiyskDhM1ZmTfgUdHexFthLhOw04FuTYu1FqlDAxoCsNnw_wcB

This is a computer with a big window and i am building it with the looks in mind. I like how the EVGA 980 uses the same body as the GTX titan, that thing looks awesome!. I got about 6 purple LED fans as well as the corsair H100i.

pros and cons of using a modular power supply? Also is it super expensive the use colored cables from the power supply?

Yeah i do not think that it will bottleneck with the 8350. That CPU has some pretty good performance for the price and the way i see it is. If the CPU ever fails then it will be only half as much to replace and 180$ vs 330$ is a pretty big difference for not too much performance it seems like. ill go ahead and give some more info.

i have this case already (corsair c70white) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139014&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Computer+Cases-_-N82E16811139014&gclid=CjwKEAjw2MOhBRCq-Nr87_j-lDASJAAl4FNhP6WiyskDhM1ZmTfgUdHexFthLhOw04FuTYu1FqlDAxoCsNnw_wcB

This is a computer with a big window and i am building it with the looks in mind. I like how the EVGA 980 uses the same body as the GTX titan, that thing looks awesome!. I got about 6 purple LED fans as well as the corsair H100i.

pros and cons of using a modular power supply? Also is it super expensive the use colored cables from the power supply?

Pros and Cons of Modular Power Supplies:

Pros:

Tends to have more plugs for extra storage or graphics cards.

You only plug in the cables you need so extra ones aren't lying around St the bottom of your case attached to the PSU because they are non modular.

You can replace cables if they get broken.

Con:

More expensive

Also, there are semi-modular power supplies which only have all the necessary cables for your PC to actually turn on attached to it, and all the extra storage ones and graphics cards ones Modular. They are usually a little bit cheaper than fully Modular ones.

I haven't really looked into colored Modular PSU cables. I know a lot of people actually re-sleve them their selves. I have all black cables which doesn't ruin the look of my case.

• Like 1

The term is bottleneck I belive. Also, an 8350 would not bottleneck a 980 nor any other graphics cards. That isn't a problem unless you have a 5 year old graphics card.

He will get a cpu bottleneck unless hes overclocked to at least 4.6 GHz and even that might not be enough.

Why is that?

Doesn't work like that.

You can't just buy for example a $100 cpu and a $1000 GPU and vice versa.

It will cause a bottleneck.

It's recommended that you buy a cpu and gpu for the same price > $300 cpu & $300 gpu for example.

But it's not necessary cuz you can overclock and shit but then you need to give more money on your fans/water cooling.

Edited by UnPrePared_

Doesn't work like that.

You can't just buy for example a $100 cpu and a $1000 GPU and vice versa.

It will cause a bottleneck.

It's recommended that you buy a cpu and gpu for the same price > $300 cpu & $300 gpu for example.

But it's not necessary cuz you can overclock and shit but then you need to give more money on your fans/water cooling.

Really?

I like AMD. great processors if you are on a budget.

HOWEVER, 4th gen i7s and even some i5s completely obliterate 90% of AMD processors in terms of single thread ratings which is what games typically use.

https://www.cpubench...ht-Core&id=1780

as compared to

https://www.cpubench...4.00GHz&id=2275

the single thread rating for the intel is almost double the AMD and the intel uses less power too.

I couldn't say if the 8350 will bottleneck the GPU since its not something I can test but if I would have to take a guess I would say yes simply because the single threading on it isn't that great

• Like 2

100-200 would be my range on the board. What would be the difference between your board and one that cost is a little more?

Really it's just more optimized for OC, more ports, maybe slightly more high end build materials and it might also squeeze in another Pcie x16 if you want to run 3 or 4 graphics cards. Like UnPrePared said, you don't need a extremely high end motherboard unless you want to do go crazy over clocking.

• Like 1

Might want to do some overclocking in the future, doubt it will ever see SLI but i for sure do not need room for 3 or 4 GPU's. So many options i just have no idea where to start

I over clock a lot with that motherboard. If you look at MSI's Bios, it even has a whole section dedicated to it. I'm not saying it's bad at OC at all, it's just other enthusiast motherboards have more features (most of which no one ever uses.)

Don't spend more money on a motherboard just to feel like it's higher end than one that is less expensive.

It would be super helpful if you get all your parts together on pcpartpicker.com and post the link here.

With a good cooler, an 8350 will not bottleneck a 980. Most of the people in this sub-forum make fantasy builds and truly know nothing about PC hardware.

Even at stock speeds, a 8350 can utilize not just one but two GTX 980s in SLI with barely any difference between it and an i7. Check the graph below. The specs for their bench PCs are here: http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/55/amd-fx-8350-powering-gtx-780-sli-vs-gtx-980-sli-at-2560x1440/index.html

55_52_amd_fx_8350_powering_gtx_780_sli_vs_gtx_980_sli_at_2560x1440.png

If an old Phenon ii processor with a decent cooler can ride on the back of a 780 Ti, then a 8350 can surely power one 980.

With a good cooler, an 8350 will not bottleneck a 980. Most of the people in this sub-forum make fantasy builds and truly know nothing about PC hardware.

I've been trying to say that. Don't even think of the idea of bottle necking. Both the 980 and 8350 are high end and in no way will the 8350 be holding back the 980 and the performance it can give. The only FPS difference you will see is simply from how the game utilizes that specific processor and how the manufacture optimized it. The AMD vs Intel goes back to what applications you are using. If you are mostly gaming, the I7 has the best single thread performance. If the applications you will mostly use like games are single threaded, Intel optimization per thread is what you will probably want. This is the major reason for slightly better premofrmance of Intel chippers. If you do a lot of rendering and use applications that rely on multiple threads, AMD tends to bring better performance in that category. That is really what it truly boils down to.

• Like 2

If an old Phenon ii processor with a decent cooler can ride on the back of a 780 Ti

Sorry my bullshit alarm went off, I would love to see your gpu usage in a 64 player bf4 server or any game with large open areas with many players.

Edited by Short
  • Like 1

Sorry my bullshit alarm went off, I would love to see your gpu usage in a 64 player bf4 server or any game with large open areas with many players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUBWh06asg8

Not the exact specs that we were considered, but close-ish:

Phenom x4 965 BE 3.4Ghz

Corsair Dominator GT (Airflow) 2x4gb 1866Mhz

Asus Formula V

Zotac GTX 780 Amp! 3gb

SSD Sandisk Extreme 120gb

Sentey 1000 watts Gold Plus

Win 8.1 pro

The point however has went your head. My claims in this case were that a Phenom ii would not bottleneck 780 ti. I can prove objectively that it will not. Will playing BF4 using a Phenom ii be enjoyable? Probably not, but you would be getting every bit of power that a 780 ti provides.

Plus, why would your CPU usage go hand-in-hand with your GPU usage? The two things (unless told to do otherwise) crunch two totally different sets of numbers. I have no issue believing that CPU usage for the processor in above video is high, but what does that matter if it is cooled effectively?

Edited by theGerryC

but you would be getting every bit of power that a 780 ti provides

No, that's not how it works, if the cpu can't feed the gpu fast enough all that sweet extra power is wasted.

why would your CPU usage go hand-in-hand with your GPU usage

Frostbyte is extremely optimised, if your gpu is not at 90-99% something is getting bottlenecked.

The video shows nothing useful to me bf4 is not hard to run at 60 fps, he even gets drops to 50 at points when stuff actually happens on screen.

Edit: OP as people have said you should be fine in most relatively new games, but it's still something to think about. As to Gerry don't going spewing nonsense about an outdated cpu that is not even comparable to an 8350.

Edited by Short