Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Can't connect to the server

jaarond

I keep getting stuck at "Sending Client Info" about 75% of the way there. I'm not having this problem with any other server I joined, I tried about 10 other servers. I tried joining with a fresh install of Gmod and with all addons disabled. Who else has this issue?

Also i'll note that I've tried waiting for an hour to connect and I've have no problems trying to connect before. This has been going on for a few days now.

Edited by jaarond

@jaarond

I haven't been having this issue, and in the past, having a huge mod collection isn't entirely the problem unless you had 500+ mods, as someone I knew in the past did, which caused them to crash most of the time. I would say being stuck on "Sending Client Info ..." is on-part by your attempt to connect to the server, and the server's attempt to accept you and log you in. From this, I would say it's the server's fault that you're being stuck on the "Sending Client Info ..." loading screen because you likely connected at a time when multiple people were trying to connect at once, and due to our ZS server being weak network-wise, the possibility of being stuck on the loading screen is uncommon.

Of course, there is the possibility that your mod collection is huge, and disabling doesn't help as much, and while you've done a clean removal and re-installation of Garry's Mod, your mods are still there because they get re-installed upon loading Garry's Mod, so I would suggest sifting through your mods list and see which mods you don't need or aren't going to use, and if you find some, unsubscribe and remove them. I would highly recommend not doing a clean installation on a whim like you did to resolve the loading screen issue because sometimes the inability to connect to a server could just be on the server in addition to having a huge mod collection, and re-installing takes up bandwidth, which costs more money.

An effective way to remove and re-add mods somewhat-safely, but more effectively than uninstalling and reinstalling Garry's Mod, that I've figured out is doing it like this:

1.) Make sure Garry's Mod is not running on your computer right now, i.e. it's closed and it doesn't show as "Garry's Mod - Running" in your Steam LIbrary.

2.) Access your addons folder in your Steam Garry's Mod directory

You can use the file path guide below, which is the file path for my own Garry's Mod addons folder for Windows, to help you find your own addons folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\addons

Unfortunately, if you're using a Mac, I can't help you there because file paths work differently for Apple computers.

3.) Delete every single .gma file in your addons folder.

This effectively "removes" the local mod files from your Garry's Mod directory, but the remote files remain intact, i.e. the mods you subscribed to.

4.) Load up Garry's Mod.

Upon loading up Garry's Mod, the game will access the Steam Workshop and look through your subscribed items. Every entry in your subscribed items list will be added to a downloading queue, in which Garry's Mod will now work on re-downloading all your subscribed items.

After doing this, try connecting to the server again. If you're still having issues connecting, it might be your Internet connection being incapable of successfully downloading the necessary serve files.

Of course, it could also be that you're missing basic file resources (HL2, CS:S, CS:GO, HL2: EP. 1 & EP. 2), and the server is forcefully-trying to install and mount them on your Garry's Mod, so to save the hassle of having the server download the files for you, you should download these games to obtain the files you need yourself.