Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

SOME PEOPLE ARE GETTING DEMOTED

bort

https://hellsgamers.com/?pageid=clanroster

Please take a look at the new clan roster page. It's also available by clicking the "Members" button on the Navbar at the top of the website.

Basically, it now underlines all those who have been inactive on the website for more than 30 days. We understand that some people are indeed active, but only in the servers. Please spread the word to your friends to at least try to participate on the forums.

We are going to be going through the roster soon and demoting inactive users.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a great idea. I was looking though that list and was WAY surprised on how many people are inactive.

Question - How will HG control when someone is demoted and they have the incorrect tag on when in game. Being inactive on fourms doesn't mean inactive in game. That might be hard. But I still think its a great idea.

one day we will have a sourcemod plugin running on the servers that ties into the forum user database.

• clan members who join the server will be auto-renamed to the same name as their forum name.
  • anyone wearing HG tags who is not in the database will be auto renamed to whatever their name is without the tag.

P.S. we're not necessarily thinking of demoting everyone who has been gone for more than 30 days. The red underline in the clan roster has no direct correlation with who will be demoted; it only serves to identify a good baseline for discussion.

and yes, weeman, we should definitely compare with the posts in the HeLLos and Goodbyes forum. It's not going to be an automatic demotion just for being inactive on the forums.

for instance, HG | Death visited the website one time -- the day he signed up. And never returned since. But I know he is indeed active mostly every day on vent and in the servers. Still, we would like people to participate in all aspects of the community where possible.

one day we will have a sourcemod plugin running on the servers that ties into the forum user database.

• clan members who join the server will be auto-renamed to the same name as their forum name.
  • anyone wearing HG tags who is not in the database will be auto renamed to whatever their name is without the tag.

Wouldn't that make things unnecessarily complex and failure prone?

Edited by bort

That a error in the script might inter fear with the server or produce name errors with the engine.

Basically it would be more of a hassle to create and manage then it would be worth.

actually i don't believe it would be a problem at all. The server-side scripting engines running on the gameservers are Sourcemod which uses source-pawn, a derivative of C++, and/or Eventscripts which uses the Python language. Both languages include libraries for full MySQL database interoperability, and in-fact there are several scripts currently running on our servers that already interact with databases (e.g. SourceBans and GlobalBan before it / Tlist 2 / HLStatsX)

Now in terms of security, when I say the clan tag enforcer script would tie into the user database on the HG forums website, it would not actually be direct access. Because many more individuals may have access to a gameserver FTP than the website FTP, it would be risky to include the full login information to the user database on the gameservers -- compilation notwithstanding. It's likely that we would host a separate, intermediary database that the servers can interact with directly, and use a CRON job running nightly on the webserver box to update that database with any changes that may have occurred each day in the real user database.

actually i don't believe it would be a problem at all. The server-side scripting engines running on the gameservers are Sourcemod which uses source-pawn, a derivative of C++, and/or Eventscripts which uses the Python language. Both languages include libraries for full MySQL database interoperability, and in-fact there are several scripts currently running on our servers that already interact with databases (e.g. SourceBans and GlobalBan before it / Tlist 2 / HLStatsX)

Now in terms of security, when I say the clan tag enforcer script would tie into the user database on the HG forums website, it would not actually be direct access. Because many more individuals may have access to a gameserver FTP than the website FTP, it would be risky to include the full login information to the user database on the gameservers -- compilation notwithstanding. It's likely that we would host a separate, intermediary database that the servers can interact with directly, and use a CRON job running nightly on the webserver box to update that database with any changes that may have occurred each day in the real user database.

You would still though have the possibility of a hacker basically "Piggy Backing" off of the traffic to get to the source database during communications each night.

Bad idea, cuz i love going undercover on the server, and see the regular abusing because they think there are no admins on, and there's where i catch them...!!! mwaahahahahahaha muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :guyfromhell:

and yes, death has been on the website only once, but he is on vent almost everyday, well, i haven't seen him lately...