Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

SOME PEOPLE ARE GETTING DEMOTED

bort

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The_Monkey
actually i don't believe it would be a problem at all. The server-side scripting engines running on the gameservers are Sourcemod which uses source-pawn, a derivative of C++, and/or Eventscripts which uses the Python language. Both languages include libraries for full MySQL database interoperability, and in-fact there are several scripts currently running on our servers that already interact with databases (e.g. SourceBans and GlobalBan before it / Tlist 2 / HLStatsX)

Now in terms of security, when I say the clan tag enforcer script would tie into the user database on the HG forums website, it would not actually be direct access. Because many more individuals may have access to a gameserver FTP than the website FTP, it would be risky to include the full login information to the user database on the gameservers -- compilation notwithstanding. It's likely that we would host a separate, intermediary database that the servers can interact with directly, and use a CRON job running nightly on the webserver box to update that database with any changes that may have occurred each day in the real user database.

Hmmmmm....

I think it is time to setup replication for the forum database. Then we'd have a mysql slave server (possibly on your box) that could be accessed by the game servers.

Bad idea, cuz i love going undercover on the server, and see the regular abusing because they think there are no admins on, and there's where i catch them...!!! mwaahahahahahaha muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :guyfromhell:

and yes, death has been on the website only once, but he is on vent almost everyday, well, i haven't seen him lately...

Get another steam account and buy cs:s for 2.50 when it is on sale.

:we: stop being a negative nancy

LOL

one day we will have a sourcemod plugin running on the servers that ties into the forum user database.

• clan members who join the server will be auto-renamed to the same name as their forum name.

I hate to be negative, but that will make everyone unable to go undercover into a server. I understand we can get other accounts, but then we need admin on those other accounts and it also takes considerably more time to swap accounts then it does to just switch your name. =/

Can we set this up somehow so we can put it in undercover mode? We were discussing having something that will not force admin skins. Can we make it not force our name?

Edited by Slazenger

I don't know if it's already been done, but you'd have to prevent a HG tag on the forums, I doubt any players would do it, but for example, someone could go onto the forum, register as something like "HG | Brian [C]", enter their Steam ID on their User CP and then their name would be switched in the game? Or would they have to be at least a recruit?

...Just a thought.

The clan tag enforcer would only work for people in the clan. I.e. the usergroups defined as recruit, member and veteran.

As for undercover worries, perhaps we can make a system, either a check box on the site or a menu/command in game, which would allow an "undercover" mode...actually, we could use the tie-in we already have with the admin system to possibly give this command/forum checkbox to admins only.

Admins only should have the undercover ability :]

A LOT of people are "undercover" for no reason. I always join Office server and tell HG members to put on their tag, I get tired of it and it degrades the clanship of HG. If you are not proud to where the tag on our servers, then maybe you don't need to be here. This system has long since been coming. Selected people will have undercover ability IMO admins that watch over the servers.

Edited by Homer

But you'd have to choose the "undercover" names, couldn't a recruit admin just set his undercover name to HG | (name) [C], pose, and keep his name like this all the time?

E.g you could make a massive list of random names with random tags etc. and when you go undercover, it just picks one at random? I wouldn't know how, it might work though, it would stop abuse of tags aswell.

I don't think you know what you are talking about.

It will rename to your forums name. -hg- recruits cannot have the name HG |, it will give them their -hg- name..

People undercover will have a wildcard I.E. no enforcement, we dont have to specify their undercover name and recruits would not have undercover ability.

Edited by Homer

But you'd have to choose the "undercover" names, couldn't a recruit admin just set his undercover name to HG | (name) [C], pose, and keep his name like this all the time?

E.g you could make a massive list of random names with random tags etc. and when you go undercover, it just picks one at random? I wouldn't know how, it might work though, it would stop abuse of tags aswell.

If someone does that, it's just our duty to fix the situation by bringing it up to the appropriate people, like we do now. It can't be flawless. Either we allow for undercover work and deal with that or we don't have undercover abilities.

It will be flawless, we have already thought most of it out. It will sync forum names ingame. The "undercover" selected people will not be recruits or others that would abuse the system.

This system will only make us look better as a well organized clan when people are named as they should ingame.

Edited by Homer

Admins only should have the undercover ability :]

A LOT of people are "undercover" for no reason. I always join Office server and tell HG members to put on their tag, I get tired of it and it degrades the clanship of HG. If you are not proud to where the tag on our servers, then maybe you don't need to be here. This system has long since been coming. Selected people will have undercover ability IMO admins that watch over the servers.

Technically the "undercover" ability would only apply to the [C], [A], etc tags wouldn't it? As long as the HG tag enforcer doesn't enforce the "power tags", I don't see why admins would need an undercover ability for their original HG tag. Any non-regular person wouldn't be able to tell from a regular HG member with the tag from an admin HG member with the tag either who.

I just realized something: HG | I Love Lamp [C] Date Joined: 02/07/1976 (12406 days ago)

Anyways back on topic:

This is what I got so far:

Non-HG members: Will have no effect on

-hg- Members: Enforce their names to use the -hg- tag

[HG] Members: ?

HG | Members: ?

Council/Staff: Enforce but have the ability to disable

So will HG and HG | just be given the ability on a case by case basis?

Addendum tags will not be enforced. They are there mainly as a beacon to point out who is able to offer assistance to people.

Sometimes the people being watched by "undercover" admins are people who are aware of who the admins are, and will try to not act out while someone they know can get them in trouble is present.

EDIT: Papa John, I joined the clan just before we took home the trophy for the CPL nationals back in '76. I was the last player of our 5 man team(Amaz-o-Clark and the Wild Dragacondas), Gary "Lamp" Busey.

Edited by I Love Lamp

council has the power to change their join date to whatever they want it to be, and alot of other things... :S

another thing that is wrong with your thought, its that HG has only been here since 2005, so it would be kind of hard for him to have been a member since 1976

Aswell, if you recall on the Clan History, it states, that in the spring and summer of 2006, 3 almost unknown players from 3 different servers came to Homer wanting to help expand the empire, one of these being lamp, who bought a server for HG.

besides this, all of what lamp said previousley is true... :cheesy:

as for being on subject, i think this addition will help staff decide who should go, and who should stay. i am very eager for the new addition that bort is making, best of luck with that. :)

then why dont YOU apply

I did, then I wanted to join a different clan, I double clanned with Beast formally RmP and when i was with them some of the people in HG just started to be really annoying and i didnt feel like joining again and waiting like 3 months or whatever to be promoted, and now I'm with another clan and dont want to leave them. I still like most of the people in HG though

P.S. lets try to not discuss the whole beast/rmp thing, i dont want any arguments :)