Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Got my new car

John

Yes it's called "skip shift" and its usually in the performance 6 speed cars like camaros,vettes,GTO's. Most of the owners disable this with a tune as its annoying.

My car is a 1995 z28 and it has that (disabled thougH), so it's been in them for a while. Basically at low rpm/speed it wants you to go from 1st to 4th, it only does this if you're below a certain MPH and RPM, if you give the car more than I think its 50% throttle it doesn't activate.

The main point of this is to avoid gas guzzler taxes on cars ;)

That's pretty much what I understood. Secret chips installed to be all sneaky on emissions tests. I suppose on high-performance issues, powering out of 4th isn't such a big deal. Most cars would struggle to get back above 1k and then suggest you make a sandwich while you get up to street speeds. The sandwich light is right next to the shift light in my roomie's car.

Also, shift lights make me angry. Thinking of pulling the bulb out. Though I have a feeling it's on the same circuit as EVERYTHING ELSE on my dash as I learned when replacing my radio. No radio, no lights of any sort on the vehicle. Including the ones that some people are kind enough to use when they're turning >.>

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really plan on modding it. At least not in a way you can notice by sight or sound.

On the subject of standards, did anyone else hear about the chip they've been putting in a lot of GM (I think it's GM) cars that forces you from 1st to 4th via it activating the gate on 2nd? It happens if you're going between x and x mph at ~x% throttle. I was a little surprised at first, but haven't heard anyone else mention it. I think you're statistically unlikely to trigger it, but there is always that chance it'll happen and you'll die in an intersection at the hands of a semi :P

I have heard something about the V8's running on 6 cylinders at highway cruising speeds.

And Terry, I believe my old '91 CRX red lined at 65-7k. I did have a b18c (GSR) motor though.

When vtech hit, I did feel additional pull. (ive never ridden in a car with NOS, so I just estimated an instant additional 15hp) ;)

That was like 8 years ago when I had that.

Edited by vandium

Acura for some reason, costs alot more even though its the same shit.

Yeah, that shit is crazy. Every time I look up used cars, an Acura of the same design and quality is on average like 2k more than the Honda counterpart. Same with Hyundai/Kia.

my brother has a 2002 honda accord and the noise is horrible. also he has had to spend thousands on repairs. on my m3 i haven't had to pay a cent.

Are you sure he didn't have holes punched in the exhaust system? Or a fart can on it? lol. My roomie's exhaust manifold kind of disintigrated over time. It was a bit on the loud side.

And Terry, I believe my old '91 CRX red lined at 65-7k. I did have a b18c (GSR) motor though.

When vtech hit, I did feel additional pull. (ive never ridden in a car with NOS, so I just estimated an instant additional 15hp) ;)

That was like 8 years ago when I had that.

They run on 4 cylinders, pretty much vtech for a v8 just a different way of doing it.

Are you sure he didn't have holes punched in the exhaust system? Or a fart can on it? lol. My roomie's exhaust manifold kind of disintigrated over time. It was a bit on the loud side.

Fartcan...perfect. lol

Billy,

Its a 2k2, but we don't know milage or upkeep.

Even the best made cars will fall apart without proper maintenance. ;)

And I am sure your M3 is dealer maintained, so yeah its gonna stay mint longer. :D

They run on 4 cylinders, pretty much vtech for a v8 just a different way of doing it.

Wow, I thought it was 4, but that seemed low for those large burbans.

I wonder how efficient that really makes them. Its an idea that should have been implemented years ago.