Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Hellsgamers Poll / Response

Phirewire

I've seen a lot of changes occurring and a lot of the staff seeking opinions of members anon. In most cases when users speak out of the condition of the community it leads in some form of punishment mostly because its in some ways disrespectful and rude, I am by no means trying to insult our community or players. I am just trying to assist in making it better.

Servers:

To start, I'll focus on our actual point the gaming servers. These are great in the way that there active but sadly they do not get maintained properly, this could be the staff or even the players fault but it should be changed as this is what we are about and this is what pays the bills.

Teamspeak:

Great activity on teamspeak, tons of help from the staff always having members in the Help desk. But every part of the community has a flaw and if it didn't there wouldn't be a sense to this would there? The problem I see is the community's cliches. It feels to much like high school. You got the staff (Kewl Kids in there own mind), Each seperate division (Average Joes), and then the No bodys ( Nerds) which don't really mix outside of there cliches, which takes back from the community because we have tons of awesome people. And that is something that really needs work. Another small problem is the mass size of our teamspeak way to many channels, But yeah.

Forums:

Moderation, respect, ban reports, support, and sheer size and quality need work. Not gonna go into detail, look around.

Staff:

This is quite honestly the biggest problem, not blaming you for all the mistakes but you guys are what make the community function and if your out of sync or lazy it throws everything off. Quite honestly I feel along with several other members that this community's staff is quite out of sync, egotistical, and bias. The methods you choose of punishment appear abit off and the way you work as well. The promotion method in it self is not correct along with the community recruitment is to simple. Members and staff should be held to greater standards than the regular players on the servers as we set the prime example and for that we should be held with higher respect and more if requested responsablity.

(Almost forget, The Upper staff needs to enly more trust into there staff give more powers and ablitys to leadership and in leadership give it to advisors, they do alot of work and are under appreciated.)

You asked and this is what I have to say. Take it as nothing or something. It how I feel and What I had to say. I hope you take no offense to it, and No punishing action is taken against me.

Best wishes,

Phirewire (Cody / Mark Jig)

I've seen a lot of changes occurring and a lot of the staff seeking opinions of members anon. In most cases when users speak out of the condition of the community it leads in some form of punishment mostly because its in some ways disrespectful and rude, I am by no means trying to insult our community or players. I am just trying to assist in making it better.

Servers:

To start, I'll focus on our actual point the gaming servers. These are great in the way that there active but sadly they do not get maintained properly, this could be the staff or even the players fault but it should be changed as this is what we are about and this is what pays the bills.

Teamspeak:

Great activity on teamspeak, tons of help from the staff always having members in the Help desk. But every part of the community has a flaw and if it didn't there wouldn't be a sense to this would there? The problem I see is the community's cliches. It feels to much like high school. You got the staff (Kewl Kids in there own mind), Each seperate division (Average Joes), and then the No bodys ( Nerds) which don't really mix outside of there cliches, which takes back from the community because we have tons of awesome people. And that is something that really needs work. Another small problem is the mass size of our teamspeak way to many channels, But yeah.

Forums:

Moderation, respect, ban reports, support, and sheer size and quality need work. Not gonna go into detail, look around.

Staff:

This is quite honestly the biggest problem, not blaming you for all the mistakes but you guys are what make the community function and if your out of sync or lazy it throws everything off. Quite honestly I feel along with several other members that this community's staff is quite out of sync, egotistical, and bias. The methods you choose of punishment appear abit off and the way you work as well. The promotion method in it self is not correct along with the community recruitment is to simple. Members and staff should be held to greater standards than the regular players on the servers as we set the prime example and for that we should be held with higher respect and more if requested responsablity.

(Almost forget, The Upper staff needs to enly more trust into there staff give more powers and ablitys to leadership and in leadership give it to advisors, they do alot of work and are under appreciated.)

You asked and this is what I have to say. Take it as nothing or something. It how I feel and What I had to say. I hope you take no offense to it, and No punishing action is taken against me.

Best wishes,

Ill go step by step and answer my opinions on your post.

Servers, the gmod servers are very hard to keep running and that really isnt our fault. Its gmod because a lot of jerks like to fuck with servers on that game. I picked gmod because you are in that division and I think you are talking about perp.

Teamspeak, the cliches are going to happen in anything this big but who is to say you cant be friends with everyone. I think many people have a group they play with including you since ive never seen you come into another channel with any of the MMO kids. The best way to fix this is to hop into a random channel every once in awhile and just say hey. The people dont bite and if they do something will happen to them.

The forums, I dont know what you are talking about because the reports are done quick and well done most of the time. The size is because this is a big community and thats that.

Staff, we do not get paid......we all have lives just like everyone in HG. We cant be on all the time and the fact of the matter is that we are held to a higher standard. There are a ton of things that go on behind the scenes that you wont see, if you have a problem with anyone in Staff you can easily post a demo or talk to someone and it will get fixed. The promotion is done by UM and council it is not a popularity contest. Just because you are on the forums or on the servers does not mean you should be leading a division full of people. People need to understand that, if you want to be "staff" act maturely and respectfully to everyone and not expect it. You will never ever get anywhere in HG or anywhere in life if you expect things to be given to you.

I was regarding all servers and I do realize people have a life, I am by no means getting at you don't. I'm at the point where work should be done not every minute but more often, get more capable people if its to much for one. Teamspeak can be handled with the same methods schools use such as makeing events, giving prizes ect and forcing kids to talk / work togehter. The method of banning and unbanning is what I was refering to. As per staff I was not getting at that I want to be staff as you are making it out, I have seen staff members leave/demoted and then come back to recieve it again like nothing ever happened. This should not be allowed they were removed or left for a reason. The Punishment for staff is also just a shrug on the server. And thats not debatable.

We are not high school. If someone doesn't want to participate with others, that's their prerogative. We host many, MANY events throughout all our servers. They are open to all and we encourage everyone to play. If you would only look to some of our past announcements you can see them rather clearly.

Also, if you read our new policies regarding leaving.returning the clan, you would see that we have enforced a "starting over" policy. No one has left and come back to their previous position since this went into effect.

And, as per your last statement: https://hellsgamers.com/threads/76905-Lamp-s-fireside-chat-All-members-old-and-new-please-read-This-pertains-to-you

Overall, I think it would help you to perhaps look at the site and read the forums more. Most of your talking points have already been discussed/dealt with.

We are not high school. If someone doesn't want to participate with others, that's their prerogative. We host many, MANY events throughout all our servers. They are open to all and we encourage everyone to play. If you would only look to some of our past announcements you can see them rather clearly.

Also, if you read our new policies regarding leaving.returning the clan, you would see that we have enforced a "starting over" policy. No one has left and come back to their previous position since this went into effect.

And, as per your last statement: https://hellsgamers.com/threads/76905-Lamp-s-fireside-chat-All-members-old-and-new-please-read-This-pertains-to-you

Overall, I think it would help you to perhaps look at the site and read the forums more. Most of your talking points have already been discussed/dealt with.

I'm sticking with what I said take it as you want. Everything I said is true to an extent. End of story, staff asked for the opinions of the members and I gave it. To simply blow it off and say I am wrong is your own choice and thats good for you and anyone who agrees anyone who takes it as something to work on good for them. I am purely sharing my opinion of hopes of change that this community desperately needs.

I'm sticking with what I said take it as you want. Everything I said is true to an extent. End of story, staff asked for the opinions of the members and I gave it. To simply blow it off and say I am wrong is your own choice and thats good for you and anyone who agrees anyone who takes it as something to work on good for them. I am purely sharing my opinion of hopes of change that this community desperately needs.

You can't say it's your opinion and then state that is truth. I gave my opinion as a response to yours. I am not blowing it off by any means, but you have some uninformed stances and I was informing you of our policy changes that refute exactly what you had said. What you have said needs to change has/is changing. It helps if you keep up with it though ^_^

We are not trying to blow off your input. We are just saying that some of your concerns have already been addresses/no longer happening as Lamp explained. We have recently been having weekly meetings to address issues, sync staff on things, etc. All input is welcome and we do discuss it among leadership.

Which stance? The returning to staff? We've stopped that, as of today a month ago exactly:

https://hellsgamers.com/threads/75726-Leave-of-Absence-vs-Leaving-the-Clan-A-short-dissertation-on-long-thread-titles

It's an across-the-board revocation of instant returns to power/privilege.

Or, if you are talking about staff misconduct (as previously posted):

https://hellsgamers.com/threads/76905-Lamp-s-fireside-chat-All-members-old-and-new-please-read-This-pertains-to-you

Long story short, we need the community to submit reports of misconduct.

I think I've covered what you were looking for. If there is something else I'm missing, please enlighten me. It gets so dark in here sometimes -_-

And the problem with that is you may be trying to get in sync with staff yet not in sync with the community. I have already mentioned this to some of our leadership but obviously it hasn't gone anywhere else get a thread going with topics discussed at meetings ect which we need to hear. If we don't need to know dont tell use but whats being discussed keeps us informed and less worried.

I am refering to the staff that leave, and come back feeling as if they still run the community and are treated as such, and are given specific powers to do stuff, and everyone can see the staff and previous staff arn't held to member or player standards but much lower standards as you never see a staff member in trouble for what they do. Just a "sorry, wont happen again" if they just so happen to be wrong. No suspensions or Privilege removal.

Both threads I linked are publicly available. Every major issue we discussed regarding changes in the community have been posted about. They were discussed in staff only regarding how to implement the changes. Please provide some examples (general or specific) so perhaps we can get to the bottom of the issue(s) at hand. I'm only looking to allay your concerns regarding the community.

if you think hg is stupid and biased (which it is) just leave the community. for example, a couple of months ago i was banned a few times actually for racism and saying mean shit. but last night i was in a channel with a few admins (one of which actually banned me before for racism) saying the N word over and over again. its whatever dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :))) <3<3<3<3

Servers:

I would say it's a mixture of lack of access to leadership. The idea of what is maintained is subjective as for the most part we've gotten strong feedback when a server goes down. I do notice that time to time the less popular servers get missed. I think that is just a matter of educating leadership to watch other servers and not just the main ones.

Teamspeak:

This one is a tricky one. Although there is a lot of people ready to help, there is not always a lot of time and a lot interest in understanding how TeamSpeak works. It's not as easy as most people think. TeamSpeak has grown to allow finer-grain permissions that can easy fuck up another group's abilities. I've had to deal with a lot of that due to a mixture of miscommunication and misappropriation of power.

I think the accusation of segregation is a bit short-sighted. Granted there WILL be social groups, there will be segregation to a degree, this is not something we can easily 'fix' or is it even fixable. (that is debatable). I do like the ability to mingle with other people. While this might be a personality difference, I think there should be empathy from both the community and leadership to be more open in accepting different people into their social circles. That's just me though, I think we should respect this diversity as well as foster it to create bridges in our social circles. It would be dangerous to force people on the basis of freedoms.

In regards to the too many channels issue, I can agree to that. I think of a few ways to remedy this issue but I don't think it's a simple solution either. I'm open to suggestions on how to carefully provision the right amount of channels and fairly appropriate channels to each games we all play.

Forums:

This is extremely ambiguous. I've seen reports go unseen for days or weeks and I can see where you're coming from. A simple PM to a dA is and SHOULDn't be a problem. Being a pest about it is another story but that's something I don't anticipate to be a problem.

'sheer size' is an example of this ambiguity. Support? are you talking about ts3 or steam support? this goes back to education and enforcement of what we do. You may not see all of it but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Staff:

Staff, or leadership more accurately, is a double-edged sword. It has a LOT of trust and responsibility enlisted in its role.

People make mistakes, big ones, small ones. I have, you have, the dLs have.. the importance is to learn from these mistakes and to ensure they won't happen again.

In regards to the punishment system, I can cite a recent case of abuse that did end up in punishment with a leader. He did get his privileges revoked. I think it would be shortsighted to assume that your statements are only truth. But I assume at this point, you're talking only to your opinion. I do believe personally that dAs+ should be held to a higher standard of accountability, transparency and responsibility. However, I also understand like in a business, you have to have the experience to understand the business requirements and business structure.

HeLLsGamers is more progressive to change than it is radical to change. For one to flip HeLLsGamers upside, WILL cause more problems and issues in my opinion than good. To cite a recent example, I have personally had to answer to many disgruntled community members only to find out they were disorganised and the people who had legitimate complaints couldn't voice their opinions in a fair manner. I find the whole idea of being punished for speaking up reprehensible. However, I do not like it when people make baseless comments or accusations without supporting it with hard-facts.

In my time here with Clark, Homer, Bort, Monkey, (Council level), I learned the importance of communicating with the community. It can be time consuming, emotionally draining at times however, it is worth it for a community with such potential. As a lower staff member, I've seen radical change GO poorly. Progressive change seems to work better with our current setup. I do not wish to stagger our growth however, I am open to explore different options.

Best wishes,

I would not think punishment is remotely even a correct response to your dissonance.

However, I would like you to keep an open mind and not assert your opinion to a point where we cannot try to explain things to you.

I am not here to convince you however, I do not appreciate FUD being spread in our community. I have seen enough perversion of justice by leadership however, that is mostly attributed by lack of professionalism, training and our fatal flaw of us being human.

I do not see us as remotely being perfect but as a unit, we can move forward progressively and fairly.

I have made a short survey that I hope people can fill out so I can bring more facts to light. I like the anonymous aspect because it provides aggregate data without having to interview 900+ people. I do admit I missed the comments section :(

I would say it's a mixture of lack of access to leadership. The idea of what is maintained is subjective as for the most part we've gotten strong feedback when a server goes down. I do notice that time to time the less popular servers get missed. I think that is just a matter of educating leadership to watch other servers and not just the main ones.

This one is a tricky one. Although there is a lot of people ready to help, there is not always a lot of time and a lot interest in understanding how TeamSpeak works. It's not as easy as most people think. TeamSpeak has grown to allow finer-grain permissions that can easy fuck up another group's abilities. I've had to deal with a lot of that due to a mixture of miscommunication and misappropriation of power.

I think the accusation of segregation is a bit short-sighted. Granted there WILL be social groups, there will be segregation to a degree, this is not something we can easily 'fix' or is it even fixable. (that is debatable). I do like the ability to mingle with other people. While this might be a personality difference, I think there should be empathy from both the community and leadership to be more open in accepting different people into their social circles. That's just me though, I think we should respect this diversity as well as foster it to create bridges in our social circles. It would be dangerous to force people on the basis of freedoms.

In regards to the too many channels issue, I can agree to that. I think of a few ways to remedy this issue but I don't think it's a simple solution either. I'm open to suggestions on how to carefully provision the right amount of channels and fairly appropriate channels to each games we all play.

This is extremely ambiguous. I've seen reports go unseen for days or weeks and I can see where you're coming from. A simple PM to a dA is and SHOULDn't be a problem. Being a pest about it is another story but that's something I don't anticipate to be a problem.

'sheer size' is an example of this ambiguity. Support? are you talking about ts3 or steam support? this goes back to education and enforcement of what we do. You may not see all of it but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Staff, or leadership more accurately, is a double-edged sword. It has a LOT of trust and responsibility enlisted in its role.

People make mistakes, big ones, small ones. I have, you have, the dLs have.. the importance is to learn from these mistakes and to ensure they won't happen again.

In regards to the punishment system, I can cite a recent case of abuse that did end up in punishment with a leader. He did get his privileges revoked. I think it would be shortsighted to assume that your statements are only truth. But I assume at this point, you're talking only to your opinion. I do believe personally that dAs+ should be held to a higher standard of accountability, transparency and responsibility. However, I also understand like in a business, you have to have the experience to understand the business requirements and business structure.

HeLLsGamers is more progressive to change than it is radical to change. For one to flip HeLLsGamers upside, WILL cause more problems and issues in my opinion than good. To cite a recent example, I have personally had to answer to many disgruntled community members only to find out they were disorganised and the people who had legitimate complaints couldn't voice their opinions in a fair manner. I find the whole idea of being punished for speaking up reprehensible. However, I do not like it when people make baseless comments or accusations without supporting it with hard-facts.

In my time here with Clark, Homer, Bort, Monkey, (Council level), I learned the importance of communicating with the community. It can be time consuming, emotionally draining at times however, it is worth it for a community with such potential. As a lower staff member, I've seen radical change GO poorly. Progressive change seems to work better with our current setup. I do not wish to stagger our growth however, I am open to explore different options.

I would not think punishment is remotely even a correct response to your dissonance.

However, I would like you to keep an open mind and not assert your opinion to a point where we cannot try to explain things to you.

I am not here to convince you however, I do not appreciate FUD being spread in our community. I have seen enough perversion of justice by leadership however, that is mostly attributed by lack of professionalism, training and our fatal flaw of us being human.

I do not see us as remotely being perfect but as a unit, we can move forward progressively and fairly.

I have made a short survey that I hope people can fill out so I can bring more facts to light. I like the anonymous aspect because it provides aggregate data without having to interview 900+ people. I do admit I missed the comments section :(

This is what I have been waiting for, thank you. I was looking for someone to admit we do have our flaws and we do need changes which I have not seen any one else state. I did not know if I was being to forward or not I have seen others banned for this kind of stuff but they were alot more agressive. I just am looking to respond to the thing I know and have seen after taking your survay as there was no comment section.

I don't think any of us are saying we are perfect. However, we are all willing to defend HeLLsGamers' image as best as possible. The way these comments were worded did borderline an aggressive intent, and I can see why some jumped to the gun to defend HG. We do not need someone to TELL us we're imperfect. We know that...

I think there is a bit too much presupposition and I think people are reading WAY too much into each others' comments.

The assertion that truth is existent on the Internet is extremely fallacious because after all, there are no girls on the internet... ;)

Thanks for sharing this Phire, some of the things you said I have always wanted to point out, as the advisers and moderators don't get enough power which they need. They have all been in the community for a long time, they should get a little bit more trust because they go through hell and back as some of the higher members do, but need a little bit more power to get them through it.

Ill go step by step and answer my opinions on your post.

Servers, the gmod servers are very hard to keep running and that really isnt our fault. Its gmod because a lot of jerks like to fuck with servers on that game. I picked gmod because you are in that division and I think you are talking about perp.

Teamspeak, the cliches are going to happen in anything this big but who is to say you cant be friends with everyone. I think many people have a group they play with including you since ive never seen you come into another channel with any of the MMO kids. The best way to fix this is to hop into a random channel every once in awhile and just say hey. The people dont bite and if they do something will happen to them.

The forums, I dont know what you are talking about because the reports are done quick and well done most of the time. The size is because this is a big community and thats that.

Staff, we do not get paid......we all have lives just like everyone in HG. We cant be on all the time and the fact of the matter is that we are held to a higher standard. There are a ton of things that go on behind the scenes that you wont see, if you have a problem with anyone in Staff you can easily post a demo or talk to someone and it will get fixed. The promotion is done by UM and council it is not a popularity contest. Just because you are on the forums or on the servers does not mean you should be leading a division full of people. People need to understand that, if you want to be "staff" act maturely and respectfully to everyone and not expect it. You will never ever get anywhere in HG or anywhere in life if you expect things to be given to you.

Awwik, I agree with most of what you said, except your last statement. I think that most people don't expect anything to be given to them, but they'd like to be able to say "Oh hey, I'm interested in that staff position" and not be immediately shot down. HG has many ambitious mature people that we are not taking advantage of because HG picks people instead of looking who is interested and then evaluate whether the person is mature enough for the job.

Awwik, I agree with most of what you said, except your last statement. I think that most people don't expect anything to be given to them, but they'd like to be able to say "Oh hey, I'm interested in that staff position" and not be immediately shot down. HG has many ambitious mature people that we are not taking advantage of because HG picks people instead of looking who is interested and then evaluate whether the person is mature enough for the job.

I have to agree with that because some leadership is just really immature, and im not pointing fingers or trying to start and drama