Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Windows 8

ExGBrian

Windows 8 releases in 3 days and is only a 70 dollar upgrade from XP/Vista/Or 7.

I'm personally gonna get it because it now has a app store/new design etc. And I always wan't to be fully updated with new technology coming out everyday. Is anyone else getting it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416562

http://sourcefednews.com/windows-8-re-imagining-the-windows-user-interface/

Windows 8 is anti gamer.

lol, what, cuz Gabe and a whole bunch of bandwagon anti-Windows 8 advocates say so?

Research your facts, there is more evidence to suggest that Windows 8 has improve performance not only for gamers but for every day folks (such as boot up times). However, the whole user interface immersion I'm not buying. You'll definitely need to get used to the "Metro" interface, which at times, is annoying. I'm used to Win7 myself and like it more than Win8 currently... however, it appears that there are a lot of performance benefits using Windows 8.

From a business perspective strictly speaking, this will be a pain in the ass to deal with. User training, awareness on Windows 8 will be crucial for it surviving to business seeing as it significant departure from the stereotypical Windows interface. Granted it does have a few merits in the business environment.

you're gonna lose some fps if you upgrade to win 8 and ur a gamer

From a gamer's perspective, you will actually see a few percentage points gained in several games (a simple "Windows 8 vs Windows 7 performance benchmark" search will yield many results indicating that while some games Windows 7 will definitely have gains over Windows 8, for the most part, Windows 8 will win over a lot of the current games)

Opps back to OP's question, probably... but only as a VM to test things =D

Edited by enigma#

you're gonna lose some fps if you upgrade to win 8 and ur a gamer
Windows 8 is anti gamer.

I have been using Windows 8 since the RTM version leaked, and I haven't lost performance or FPS.

Windows 8 actually works better for me and with less issues. I don't really like the whole metro thingy, but just the changes to the task manager, performance and the changes to files transfer make up for it.

I'm getting it for my school laptop and for my desktop.

The boot times for Windows 8 on a SSD are amazing.

Despite what i'm hearing, and the whole metro thing, i'm going to get windows 8 most likely. At some point i'll be getting a tablet, and being able to control your pc/xbox(dont have one) with your tablet is awesome. I probably wont have cable, and will probably have my pc hooked up to a large screen so the functionality is amazing.

I have been using Windows 8 since the RTM version leaked, and I haven't lost performance or FPS.

Windows 8 actually works better for me and with less issues. I don't really like the whole metro thingy, but just the changes to the task manager, performance and the changes to files transfer make up for it.

I'm getting it for my school laptop and for my desktop.

The boot times for Windows 8 on a SSD are amazing.

ill actually see a few percentage points gained in several games (a simple "Windows 8 vs Windows 7 performance benchmark" search will yield many results indicating that while some games Windows 7 will definitely have gains over Windows 8, for the most part, Windows 8 will win over a lot of the current games)

Sorry guys it's just what ive heard around the internet i haven't actually tested it my self :)

I think most people think windows 8 looks like this:

win8-start-menu.png

When actually, you have the option to use a regular desktop layout.

Windows-8-Start-Menu-Widget.png

Ill probably make the switch eventually, but not anytime in the near future, unless i get a SSD.

• Executive Council

Win 8 has a lot of behind the scenes improvements. However, for me the Metro thing isn't something I want to deal with. If Win 8 shipped without Metro and had Win 7 start menu I'd be happy. Hell, I probably would have gotten it if they at least left the Win 7 start menu in some form or fashion where it could be activated again.

But during preview they completely removed the old start menu and made it impossible to use it again. M$ just trying to shove what is best for them down your throat.

So, in the end I will not be using Win 8 for a desktop. To me the Metro UI is a glorified tablet interface, not meant for desktop computing.

Weird, after upgrading my laptop to win8 I got 30 more fps on Bf3... so, you're wrong. Do research.

John is right, they added a decent amount of performance improvements. Especially if you have a Bulldozer series CPU. There are also quite a few other driver side improvements (though some of these go back to Windows 7 if the drivers are from one of the vendors and not Microsoft).