Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Windows 8

ExGBrian

I Primarily use win 7

the ui was made for tablets and is very awkward with mouse+keyboard;i like win 7s ui better.

It has been made to that it compatible with all platforms. Navigation throughout the metro panels with your arrows keys is easier than playing tetris.

on microsoft.com I saw a special "sale deal" windows 8 pro for 39.99 you can try that.

As a warning, that is for the upgrade version. It might be like the Windows 7 upgrade where you could kind of hack around actually upgrading, but it is a pain.

As a warning, that is for the upgrade version. It might be like the Windows 7 upgrade where you could kind of hack around actually upgrading, but it is a pain.

If Microsoft is following suit from Windows 7, they'll allow people to do a clean install instead of an in place upgrade even with upgrade media. I don't recall having to hack anything to install Windows 7 cleanly from Vista or from scratch using upgrade media. Unless I'm misinterpreting or we're thinking of different things xD

I did a clean install without any issues. Prius gave me a key from his MSDNAA account. So everyone in college, make sure you check your MSDNAA account since most are offering it for free for students now.

I personally love win8 on my laptop.

If Microsoft is following suit from Windows 7, they'll allow people to do a clean install instead of an in place upgrade even with upgrade media. I don't recall having to hack anything to install Windows 7 cleanly from Vista or from scratch using upgrade media. Unless I'm misinterpreting or we're thinking of different things xD

If you enter the upgrade key during a fresh install, it won't work for you and will complain. You actually need to not put the key in and continue the install. Prior to SP1 (I think), you had to enter a registry key to allow the upgrade key to be used to register.

If you enter the upgrade key during a fresh install, it won't work for you and will complain. You actually need to not put the key in and continue the install. Prior to SP1 (I think), you had to enter a registry key to allow the upgrade key to be used to register.

Ahh I don't remember doing that with Windows 7 RTM but I'll have to read into that more.

Ahh I don't remember doing that with Windows 7 RTM but I'll have to read into that more.

This only applies if you buy the "upgrade" version of Windows X. If you come down to NH I can show you on my system :P

• 2 weeks later...