Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Criticism/harassment

C4NADIAN Bastard

I was playing jailbreak again and when I use my mic, someone tells me to "shut the f*** up." Wasn't too bothered by that, but I was angry that the admins didn't even tell him to stop harassing me for no reason. After that some guy started saying "CANADIAN SUCKS MAMMOTH DICK" or something and the admins did nothing about it whatsoever. Thats what made me angrier. I didn't rage out in chat but I was irritated to know that the admins would only punish people for baiting, freekilling etc. However, if the insults were aimed toward the admins they would gag/mute them. Could I have someone to please help me out? I'm tired of everyone annoying me just because I have a high voice.

Proof of harassment:

http://imgur.com/vgDcA

protips:

1. Make reports on those harrassing you, let them know you don't appreciate it and tell them further disrespect will result in you reporting them. If it continues, make a report.

2. Buy admin yourself to punish those harassing/disrespecting you. (following proper chain of procedure of course)

3. Ask an admin in-game to take action against any players doing these things.

If it is an admin who is disrespecting/harassing you, refer to tip 1. They will most likely receive harsher punishment seeing as they are role-models for the server and should definitely be following rules

Conflict rests on these two points:

First point: Admins (for the most part) are people who buy admin for the privileges they can have for THEIR OWN GOOD. Powers like mute, slay, teamswitch, kick, etc are all beneficial for themselves. They can ALSO be beneficial for others, but that requires someone going out of their way to turn what began as a selfish interest into benevolence. It ALSO entails a bit of fear, as any use of those powers beyond what is "acceptable" can lead to losing those powers. As such, most admins choose to remain selfish in their use of powers. They deal with people who hurt only themselves because it is the safest way to get the most of your money.

Second point: Hellsgamers would like all people on our servers to have the best time possible. That involves admining our servers so that disrespectful players and rulebreakers cannot run rampant on the more "innocent" of players. As such, we have an admin system where people can join forces with others in a widespread effort to stop rulebreakers. This leads to quite a number of admins on jailbreak, most of which have paid for the powers they have. And yet, with how many rulebreakers there are on that server, EACH AND EVERY ONE of said admins must be on the lookout and ready to help when rulebreaking occurs. Yet, as I said earlier, there is an incentive to not do so (it takes effort, and most of the reward of doing so is not helpful to yourself). We then get what is called a Collective Action Problem where we NEED a large number of involved people to help, but do not incentivize enough of them to do so.

The conflict: We NEED admins to all be helpful for ALL rulebreakers to be taken care of (point 2). But, not all admins will be helpful because ALL admins are incentivzed to not do so (point 1).

Solution: We have two solutions that I can see for this conflict. We have leadership admins who have far greater powers to fill in the gaps that these other admins choose to allow. Some leadership members do a good job of this, reddevil and ragequit specifically. Others, not so much. In the end, we have the same CAP but at a more egregious level because as leadership members, their ineffectiveness has no actual solution. There's no one higher that can stop-gap their mistakes (though there are people to evaluate their performance - UM+).

Our other solution is less of a solution and more of a response. We see the CAP involved in our admin system and we simply choose to accept it. We understand that while we may not be able to stop ALL the bad eggs in the server, we can get a large number of them. While a few get through, we have a ban report system that will hopefully catch the others. Admittedly, that system is designed to be fairly lenient to rulebreakers, and for anything to be done about them, it would take a considerable amount of proof over either a considerable number of offenses or a considerably egregious offense (racism, hacking, etc). Still, we ALLOW CAP to be ineffective, because it works best that way. It is a system "designed to fail" so that our other system can take the burden (a system that we have more control over and is less discretionary).

What's the short of it? Our admin system is designed to not work ALL the time. We do this because we have other measures of punishment that we have more control over. There exists a Collective Action Problem in how pay-admins run the server, and we INTEND for there to be one so that players will use the ban/abuse/tlist report system more often than they would otherwise. While the system may be lenient for rulebreakers, if you get enough PROOF that what they are doing is bad enough, they will be dealt with.

Understand people, our admin system is flawed BY INTENT. File reports, they're our preferred means of dealing with these people.

Or just buy me admin again and I'll go kick some heads off some necks.