Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Admin Obligation

Cave Johnson

It has come to my recent attention that there is a good number of people who have made this claim "Just because I am an admin does not mean I have to do something about the offender". I cannot tell you how upsetting that is, to see someone make that claim and spend money on being an admin. This to me says "I bought admin so I can slay the people that fk'ed me or ban those that disrespect me from time to time." Why would you spend your money on admin if you did not have the intention of bettering the servers. To make this statement I believe shows complete disregard to the PRIVILEGE you have by having that admin, as it is not something EVERYONE can get and maintain.

I believe if you have bought, been given, or managed to inherit somehow your admin powers that you should go out of your way to make good of the opportunity to make the server community good. This is not to say all admins don't use their powers and make the community better, its to say that there are a good number that believe the way stated above, all of which should remain nameless. ESPECIALLY if you have paid for your admin then you should go out of your way to the be the white knight the servers need from time to time.

Consider yourself Superman and the offenders are Bizarro Superman. Consider you are Batman and the offenders are Jokers (no offense to the two jokers that play jb). If you have the chance to make the difference in the server because someone is being disrespectful as all hell, do it. It's your duty as admin. Not everyone can be a white knight but there are plenty who can make a difference.

I can think of several times when there was trash talking in the chat going on and it was beyond playful banter, this is especially shameful when its between a HG member and non HG member because it looks bad on our community, and nothing is being done. I have had to step up several times where no one else would to end the argument and set them straight. It shouldn't just be me, it should be admins as a collective. I think this should be taken into extreme consideration before purchasing admin, are you doing it for yourself, or for the community. If its the latter of the two, the latter being for yourself, then don't bother. It doesn't reflect well on our HG servers, admins, community or leadership.

I would love to say that I agree with you, but overall, it always comes down to one thing: They buy it, they can do with it what they please. We have so many admins that sort the Jailbreak server out. Sure, some admins sit there and do nothing, but they paid for a privileged and aren't obligated to do anything with that privileged.

The problem is that some people buy admin for selfish and egocentric reasons, these are the people who use their admin to their own will by punishing who they don't like and not punishing those that they do.

But these bias admins did buy admin with their own money and can do what they want without the majority of people knowing, this includes punishing people they despise and ignoring those that they adore.

Luckily there are a small majority of admins that do this.

To make it short: yes, admins CAN choose to not intervene in a situation. They will not have any repercussions for not intervening. Admin abuse however is different.

Personally I am not a big fan of this system. However speaking from experience, I haven't really met many admins (outside of jail break) that would neglect their server. I can only guess jailbreak is the stench behind this misguided rant.

Moreover, we have something in the works that will change this outdated mindset however there is no ETA on when this will happen. Hopefully soon...

You could always just post a demo of the offender and report them. A situation does not require immediate admin justification / response

Oh, and to confirm what others have been alluding to in this thread - the only reason I bought my admin was to assert authority on 9 year olds. It has nothing to do with contributing to the HG community and helping out when possible.

Edited by laos

I believe if you have bought, been given, or managed to inherit somehow your admin powers that you should go out of your way to make good of the opportunity to make the server community good.

now stop right there, if it is given to them, (ex: advisors, idk someone in leadership gives it to them) they HAVE to do something. otherwise, do w/e they want

But see that's exactly my point. If something is going down between players and it can be resolved via administration then the admin should have the obligation to do something. This whole idea of "its their money they can do as they please" is wrong.

And Laos that's the wrong attitude. It shows bias and that should really be adjusted

Server admins in almost any HG server are either:

A) (This being the most likely option) Customers.

B ) Volunteers.

Example of a customer: Say I bought a pencil. Do I have to use the pencil? No. Can I? By all means

Example of a volunteer: Say I was a library volunteer. They will not expect me to be there and be working as often as paid staff because I'm not being paid. And we don't have paid staff here, so...

So, neither have to do anything, because they either pay or don't get paid. Simple as that.

Edited by jajolt

Server admins in almost any HG server are either:

A) (This being the most likely option) Customers.

B ) Volunteers.

Example of a customer: Say I bought a pencil. Do I have to use the pencil? No. Can I? By all means

Example of a volunteer: Say I was a library volunteer. They will not expect me to be there and be working as often as paid staff because I'm not being paid. And we don't have paid staff here, so...

So, neither have to do anything, because they either pay or don't get paid. Simple as that.

I like how Jajolt explained it, Jailbreak has a set of rules, when new players come in every day it gets annoying when they brake the rules, especially since its such a big server. I don't see admin abuse ever in different servers except for jailbreak. You got a problem with a player? Report them, otherwise deal with it.

Admin donations is the reason why we even have jailbreak and a lot of the servers we have. We thank them and as a gift we give them "administrative powers". It's a gift not a job therefore admins don't have to do anything.

http://hellsgamers.c...lazahorse-abuse

http://hellsgamers.c...41-smurfy-abuse

Pointless threads like this are the reason why admins are hesitant to take action.

thats true. maybe if every single person in jailbreak didn't report everyone for every little god damn thing, there would be no problems.

• Like 1