Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Debunking Some Gun Myths

zidian

So basically you want to ban all weapons? Semi-automatics are the most common guns in existence. Banning those would ban 70-90% of the guns used by people. Limiting the size of a magazine just means having to reload. And it will do nothing to deter crime involving guns (as criminals won't care).

One interview out of many. There are nuts on both sides of this argument. He just tries to find them to interview so he can push his argument.

I meant to append rifles to the end of that, not all semi-automatic weapons. Just those that fall into the rifle category, so no including pistols and shotguns. Just because the law isn't 100% effective doesn't mean you give up and go home and say you tried. The whole point is making it as hard as possible for them to get the weapons, even if it doesn't work 100% of the time it is still part of the process. Having to reload actually means more than you think, it means the criminal is vulnerable and can potentially be taken down the more times they have to reload. It also gives more time for law enforcement to arrive, as they aren't necessarily quick re-loaders and expirenced shooters.

Criminals will always have access to weapons. My neighbor and my self had to chase off armed felons from our property, the game changer was that we were also armed. These guys under the law had no ability to purchase guns, but they had them. making things illegal only makes for a black market. Banning drugs works so well that the hardest drugs are found in our super max prisons. Guns do not hurt people, sick people hurt people. See yall at the gun range every other monday, i swear my aim is better than it is on 10man.

Guest The_Monkey

Banning guns isn't going to stop people from killing people. Fixing the loopholes in gun ownership can. Force background checks on all guns sold, including pre-owned weapons. My buying a gun and selling it to someone else should not be allowed without them going through a background check like everyone else.

Still, will this stop the wrong people getting hold of weapons, not really. However, it could stop a few, and I guess that counts for something.

• Executive Council

*cough* The Supreme Court *cough*

Yes, the Supreme Court worked out so well for the Japanese Americans during WW2.

http://en.wikipedia....ican_internment

Our government can do evil and terrible things. The founding fathers wisely realized that its really up to the people to prevent their government from being tyrannical.

• Executive Council

and thank god for my 3d printer and spare parts. inb4 the liberals can never ever get them all. http://defensedistributed.com/

If you print your magazines at home then the federal government can never legally take them away without amending the Constitution.

• Like 1

• Executive Council

It does. One of the reasons the founding fathers put the 2nd Amendment into place was so that the people could prevent their government from doing stuff like that.

• Like 1

See, from my outside (Canadian) perspective on all this, I don't think a gun ban should be necessary, however I believe that teachers and public servants should be taught how to distinguish a kid(or adult) with a mental illness. I also think that there should be more help and more awareness as in today's teens (especially in my city) there's a lot of mental illness going around and mental illness awareness.

(Really, if you're ever in Ottawa there are sooo many posters, ads, signs, whatever that are for mental illness and to get help)

Even at my school, I know at least 10 teachers that are trained and can pick a kid out of a crowd that's mentally ill (not handicapped) with a 99% accuracy.

See, from my outside (Canadian) perspective on all this, I don't think a gun ban should be necessary, however I believe that teachers and public servants should be taught how to distinguish a kid(or adult) with a mental illness. I also think that there should be more help and more awareness as in today's teens (especially in my city) there's a lot of mental illness going around and mental illness awareness.

(Really, if you're ever in Ottawa there are sooo many posters, ads, signs, whatever that are for mental illness and to get help)

Even at my school, I know at least 10 teachers that are trained and can pick a kid out of a crowd that's mentally ill (not handicapped) with a 99% accuracy.

this right here. thank you. thats where the problem lies. the killer will just get access to the most deadly weapon he can to commit his murder(s). ban semi autos? its unlikely he was going to get one in the first place, and if he WAS going to it would have been though illegal means most likely. he'll just move down to carrying a few handguns and a half a dozen mags on his person... he's still going to hurt a lot of people..

stop the source of the problem.. the people that have mental illnesses and need to get serious help and identified early so it doesnt grow and develop

See, from my outside (Canadian) perspective on all this, I don't think a gun ban should be necessary, however I believe that teachers and public servants should be taught how to distinguish a kid(or adult) with a mental illness.

As a jobless teacher, I can tell you for a fact that teachers are told of students that have special needs before school starts. Unrelated, but they also know which ones are english language learners.

As a jobless teacher, I can tell you for a fact that teachers are told of students that have special needs before school starts. Unrelated, but they also know which ones are english language learners.

Yes, I know. My mom's a teacher. But she can also spot someone who's depressed/thinking about suicide etc. She's also been able to tell which kids would grow up being violent or a criminal.

And if you kept reading what I posted, I also said that there are teachers at my school that can do the same thing, not including a Mental Handicap.

I'm not gonna quote people like I did before, but I'm going to respond to what I just read.

Why should civilians own AR-15 or other semi-automatic rifles? Because they are my BEST option for survival in any situation inside my home against someone trying to cause harm to myself or my family. Yes, what would I grab first? My handgun, simply for that fact I have one always loaded in a quick-opening safe. If I have more than a few seconds to get armed, you better believe I would get my semi-automatic rifle. It is just affect at 10 yards as it is 200yards. What happens if, like I said in my previous post, a riot breaks out? I'm very well trained with hand guns, more than I am with rifles, but if there is a possibility that several to dozens of people will try to loot my house, I'm not going to sit there with my handgun. I'm going to have my rifle trained on the front door. What would happen if 911 services are interrupted (which happened in my area LAST YEAR during a storm, and they were down for 2 days)? What happens if we are invaded by the countries we've pissed off over the entirety of our existence as a country? What if Germany, Japan, England, Russia, and the entire Middle East decided that "Hey, these fucker's heads are getting to big, lets show them". You realize several well-placed EMPs could COMPLETELY and UTTERLY cripple our National Defense Systems, rendering our Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard, not to mention our federal, state, and local law enforcement completely useless? What happens if the stock market goes into a depression and MILLIONS upon MILLIONS lost their jobs, houses, life styles, and they take to the streets to take what other people have? These are just a few reason why I may need my semi-automatic rifles. I pray that none of this ever happens, but "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it".

As someone posted "Wild Boar hunting" is another reason why I would need my AR. Luckily I do not live on a farm anymore, but when I did, boars were a VERY big problem. Luckily we knew a guy who would kill them for us, but what did he use? .50 Beowulf on an AR platform. Why could they not use a bolt action? Because when you are within 50 yards of a beast that can run 30 mph, have a very very aggressive attitude, and tusks that can tear a man to shreds, you don't want to have to THINK about trying to chamber another round.

Something must be done, I agree, but wasting time and effort on banning particular features on a "scary assault rifle", we need better enforcement on current laws. I don't have the facts infront of me (I was about to goto bed, and figured I'd check the forums), but the prosecution of gun laws is something like 40% lower than it was in the 90s, and you better believe there is MORE guns now than then, MORE criminals now than then, and MORE illegal guns on the street now than then.

I dunno, going to bed, will probably go on another rant sometime tomorrow.

and Faded, I LOVE YOUR INPUT! <3

Tyranny has happened in modern America, and the 2nd amendment was used to clear it out. The Battle of Athens, were citizens and vets used guns to make sure the ballots were not juiced. If people cared as much as they did in those times, we would have had a few more battles until politicians got scared of the people.

The Supreme Court of the United States disagrees with you. They've recently struck down gun bans as unconstitutional. DC v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago held that it was an individuals right to own guns.

Didn't say that they could own assault rifles. Not to mention that the Supreme Court is majority conservative.

Edited by Billy Mays

It does. One of the reasons the founding fathers put the 2nd Amendment into place was so that the people could prevent their government from doing stuff like that.

Like I said, in no part does the constitution use the 2nd amendment to protect citizens from their government. The constitution is designed to prevent that, you elect officials so they represent your views in the electorate not rise up in armed revolution. You don't have the right to own an AR-15, you have the right to own a weapon. That weapon can and is defined by the federal government for your own protection only. Not protection from the government.

Tyranny has happened in modern America, and the 2nd amendment was used to clear it out. The Battle of Athens, were citizens and vets used guns to make sure the ballots were not juiced. If people cared as much as they did in those times, we would have had a few more battles until politicians got scared of the people.

I raise you the Civil War.

Edited by Papa John

Reopened.

Was rash of me to close.

Don't mind me. It's just that this is a hot button for me.

Didn't mean to infer that some of you are idiots.

Sorry.

One last thing. Tell me what George Washington meant by this? Can it be any clearer?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."

- George Washington

• Like 1