Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Zombie Survival Leveling Suggestions

Papa John

So the idea, which I will try to keep working on for the next month or so, is introducing a leveling system (for both humans and zombies) into ZS. The idea isn't for it to be anything major but to be a basic RPG element you use to level up your zombie/human to get level specific perks (no skill trees or other nonsense, at least in the foreseeable future).

The perks could be additional health, ammo, damage, ect. and I am trying to see if the community has any other suggestions. The suggestions can range from the perk itself to how you believe the actual leveling system itself should work. Keep in mind, in the interest of balance, these perks shouldn't allow a human to destroy waves of zombies or a regular zombie being able to absorb as much damage as a boss zombie.

The last piece of information I want to know in this thread is if you believe such a leveling system would either be good for or hinder zs on a general basis (on not just on specific implementation).

I will attempt to keep this thread up to date as possible, and hopefully I will have more information going forward.

Edited by Papa John
  • Like 1

The last piece of information I want to know in this thread is if you believe such a leveling system would either be good for or hinder zs on a general basis (on not just on specific implementation).

A leveling system, though nice for regulars, will make it tougher on any joining for the first time, who is unsure of what is going on. The perks mentioned above, will give players something to work towards, but if it is too stacked, it becomes too much for the new guys.

I suggest the perks be cosmetic changes, similar to the CSS and CSGO shops. Trails, hats, etc..... This does not effect gameplay what so ever, but lets the oldies show off and gives the newbies something to work towards.

Edited by WhataWackaMonk

I think i have a idea...if your going to make it like a RPG of a lvling system make it so that player can see someone lvl on scoreboard, chat, or below the player name. also make custom titles like a lvl:1 should be called "Survivor" then killing about 100 zombies "Zombie Slayer" and so on....plus give some titles to zombies too

my suggestion could be that you can get hats or trails after certain levels.

nope.....more models

Edited by JangoD'soulâ„¢

Adding to my suggesting level up each time with human get sum amount of ammo receive from resupply crate, also more ammo from the start of the game. while for zombies that would be add more heath and longer infrared ranged. A new UI would be nice to see someone progress when leveling and show their current level and titles...

Trails don't fit in Zs server...hats maybe

I don't think a leveling system would bode well for our server. Every zs server I've played on with a leveling system has been sparsely populated and simply not fun to play. The great thing about zs is anyone can join and have the same chance of survival as anyone else on the server. I had a suggestion for a new tab on the worth menu for perks that would help you a lot but also hider you in a strong way. Once stuff in my life is worked out I'll get to argueing all my reasons but till then know that I have a good reason to be against this.

The idea is to keep our long term players interested and occupied before we lose them and population falls anymore, the past 15 days has been losing players at a large rate.

yes, the sudden loss of population is mostly cuz of school. My personal play time was cut by more than half bcuz of full-time college and part time work. I would like to see how this new leveling system works out as long as it doesnt create an unbalance in humans vs zombies.

• 2 weeks later...
I suggest the perks be cosmetic changes, similar to the CSS and CSGO shops. Trails, hats, etc.....

This is actually something separate from this threads leveling idea that we are already working on.

Read this and thought of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

Have mercy kind sirs... Please... no hats.. No more hats.. Have you seen the cluttered mess that Noxious became? It's like a psychotic toddlers birthday party mixed with Texas Chainsaw Massacre in there.Those damned hats/trails also stoke egos that would dwarf the Hindenburg; encouraging elitism and marginalizing newbies.

The HG ZS server is usually ranked 3rd or 4th plays among all gmod servers! The flavor/feel of the server works damn good as it is! Let's be really careful not to change it up too much and loose that standing.

The leveling system is really interesting though. I'm excited to see what comes of it.

Edited by Psycho83
  • Like 3

Please, no hats and trails. I used to play on a server then they got trails and hats etc. It was like a blur of colours that would make someone with motion sickness die instantly. Imagine 50+ humans with neon trails it would be like hours of non stop nyan cat.

See said example: its fun for the first 20 seconds then you get the urge to murder anything bright an instantly become envious of the deaf and blind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZZ7oFKsKzY

If anything being able to level to unlock new character models would be a nice touch but nothing out of theme with zombie survival. Maybe an idea is giving those who level a title and they start off with more worth points at the beginning of rounds? No more palsy to afford that new gun!

(OR new weapons only available to higher levels like steel knuckles, chainsaw, shotguns akimbo etc)

Edited by Tomomo

Oh god, not trails. Maybe hats, though only if they're subtle and become transparent with the rest of the player model when you get close to someone. I could go for some sweet player skins, though. Maybe different skins for the zombie team since they tend to get a little same-y.

• 2 weeks later...