Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Ban Listings

Misc2008

Hi

First of all, this is meant to be a constructive post to get discussion going and not a moan. k? :)

The ban system on the surface appears to do its job. However when you get to things like banned IP addresses and people with forbidden names it's less clear what is going on. There is for example, no list of banned IP addresses that I am aware of, nor any way of challenging said IP ban through the bans system.

Also, where is the list of forbidden player names? I realise that a player can challenge a ban as these show up in the public ban system but even still, people should be able to check, in advance, before choosing a forbidden name that could get them banned... forever.

M.

The ban system on the surface appears to do its job. However when you get to things like banned IP addresses and people with forbidden names it's less clear what is going on. There is for example, no list of banned IP addresses that I am aware of, nor any way of challenging said IP ban through the bans system.

We only ip ban people who are malicious, which we dont need to let you know why.

If their steam id is banned the reason would be there.

Also, where is the list of forbidden player names? I realise that a player can challenge a ban as these show up in the public ban system but even still, people should be able to check, in advance, before choosing a forbidden name that could get them banned... forever.

They can come here and ask unban.

Also you can search https://hellsgamers.com/hgbans.php?sf=bname&so=contains&st=i+am+the+la

Edited by RedDevil6193

The whole idea of hidden bans is shady at best.

Why do you need to see IP bans? We only IP ban for being malicious and harmful to the community, and personally, I don't see why every single person in HG needs to know every single ban that goes on within the community. What you call shady is necessary since obviously, people won't treat everyone's IPs so nicely.

Why do you need to see IP bans? We only IP ban for being malicious and harmful to the community, and personally, I don't see why every single person in HG needs to know every single ban that goes on within the community. What you call shady is necessary since obviously, people won't treat everyone's IPs so nicely.

No offence but did you read my post above about searching for an IP?

We will not publish IP bans because of the risks associated with it. We do it to protect the players of our servers and it's not shady of all to protect you from getting tracked or ddosed. What is shady is when people do want to be able to see IP bans so badly

If you really need to know if someone is IP banned or something of the sort (no idea why you would), then you can contact someone who is able to see that. That way, the IP is not publically being given out and we can protect everyone's privacy while you'd still get the information you need.

I only meant that people who are IP banned from playing on HG servers, should be able to find their ban information and be able to challenge it. I find it bizarre that you object to this as it is a basic concept of fairness. I do NOT however mean that the complete list should be available.

EDIT: btw, you do know that IP addresses are not always static yes?

Edited by Misc2008

That would be basically impossible to program. And besides, if you're IP banned, you have pretty much no chance of coming back. If you did need to see that info, to contest a ban or something, not only would there be a steamid ban up where you could find your ban and contest on hgbans, but you could also find uM who could see the details and all the information about your IP ban.