Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Family Sharing Tlists/bans And You. Can't Find Your Tlist/ban? Read Here.

Many of you have been asking me recently what these new "Family shared tlists" are that are appearing on HG Bans. So, here comes the explanation.

First off, what is family sharing?

Family sharing is a system designed by VALVe to allow a steam account share all it's games with a certain computer. (Read: http://store.steampo...n/familysharing ).

Why is this a problem?

The addition of family sharing has made it easier for trolls to misbehave on our servers. They will come to our server, troll, get banned/tlisted on an account, and then immediately come back 5 minutes later with a new steamid, for free.

So how does it work?

When a player joins the server, there are tlist and ban checks that happen. If a user is not on a family shared account, those checks are only done on the steamid that connected. However, if it is a family shared account that user will be checked for both bans and tlists on both their steamid, and the steamid of the owner account. Any ban/tlisted found on either steamid will be applied.

What happens if the owner account gets tlisted/banned?

All "child" accounts of that owners account will also be tlisted/banned on our servers

What happens if a "child" account gets tlisted/banned?

A duplicate ban will be inserted under the owner's steamid, causing all other child accounts to be tlisted/banned.

Example

I've enabled family sharing with my "brother". He plays my games on a different account, and got tlisted/banned. Can I get untlisted/banned?

Absolutely not. Your account, your responsibility.

• Like 8