Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

does HG have too many servers?

Wabbit

hey guys, i been here for 2 years now, had a great time in the servers they were lag free and people had no complains , but that's not the case now.

for the past 4 months, our TF2 servers have suffered from Drops, server shuts downs, and horrible Lag spikes, both of our tf2 24/7 dustbowl servers that used to b full are now empty, never played on the orange server but i get people asking me what happened to it? people complains about the lag spikes, just 2 days ago i was on the US 24/7 dustbowl and we were doing ok, then out of nowhere we got Lag spikes, in less than 3 mins everybody left the server.

not the first time that this happens, but it seems that people will not even comeback to those servers knowing they r gonna lag.

Just yesterday i invited peopel to seed our tf2 dustbowl server, and they didn't joined the server cus of the lag spikes we had last time.

so do we have to many servers and bcause of that our dedicated servers are on full capacity?

maybe im wrong, or maybe we have to many servers and the servers guys dont have to much time with all of them to fix them?

quality vs quantity?

Edited by Wabbit

I actually do agree with you. Before our only servers used to be Dustbowl, Hoodoo and Pipeline. They were full 24/7 and now these servers are empty. We have a lot of other servers that are completely empty and I think need to just be shut down because they are taking up space. As for the Orange server that is down, the only person who can fix it is Homer.

I actually do agree with you. Before our only servers used to be Dustbowl, Hoodoo and Pipeline. They were full 24/7 and now these servers are empty. We have a lot of other servers that are completely empty and I think need to just be shut down because they are taking up space. As for the Orange server that is down, the only person who can fix it is Homer.

i don't want people to think im talking BS here, i love HG, that's why im writing all this,but i think is time to regroup our tf2 servers? have less servers but with better quality?

i just think people that join our servers are leaving with a bad taste, most of them are first time players in our servers, and when we get hit with lag spikes they just don't comeback anymore.

on the other hand, is this ruining HG reputation of having good servers like we used to?

i don't want people to think im talking BS here, i love HG, that's why im writing all this,but i think is time to regroup our tf2 servers? have less servers but with better quality?

i just think people that join our servers are leaving with a bad taste, most of them are first time players in our servers, and when we get hit with lag spikes they just don't comeback anymore.

on the other hand, is this ruining HG reputation of having good servers like we used to?

I'm asking around to have most of the empty servers shut down. I'm going to keep Hoodoo, Dustbowl, and Pipeline up since those were really popular and I love those maps. If you want to help I'm arranging a little population event to try and populate servers. I'm still thinking everything up, but I'm leaning towards sometime this Saturday to populate the Hoodoo server. If people join and like the server, hopefully they stay and become regulars on the server(s).

I'm asking around to have most of the empty servers shut down. I'm going to keep Hoodoo, Dustbowl, and Pipeline up since those were really popular and I love those maps. If you want to help I'm arranging a little population event to try and populate servers. I'm still thinking everything up, but I'm leaning towards sometime this Saturday to populate the Hoodoo server. If people join and like the server, hopefully they stay and become regulars on the server(s).

sure I'll Help,. Saturday Night?

Yes, too many unpopulated servers that we are wasting money on

i was even thinking if we shut down few servers, with the money saved we can do some events every weekend for our tf2 division? give away prizes like games on steam etc, every weekend? i dunno, have something extra for our visitors.

Fyi, trade servers are the most constantly full. We have "auto join when a slot opens up" constantly being used to gain access. IMO a 24/7 Hoodoo, dustbowl, Orange, trade, and pipeline would be all we need. We actually lose seating in the valve server rank system due to players disconnecting before a critical 15 minute point. servers are scored, and a player joins, the score is lowed until they have stayed on for 15 minutes, then the score counts upwards. If we had few servers with solid admins online(no forcerolling rtd) and a dedicated player group, like the good ol' days of hoodoo, then we could really bring in some tf2 recruits. No one is interested because no one is playing.

/my2cents

Fyi, trade servers are the most constantly full. We have "auto join when a slot opens up" constantly being used to gain access. IMO a 24/7 Hoodoo, dustbowl, Orange, trade, and pipeline would be all we need. We actually lose seating in the valve server rank system due to players disconnecting before a critical 15 minute point. servers are scored, and a player joins, the score is lowed until they have stayed on for 15 minutes, then the score counts upwards. If we had few servers with solid admins online(no forcerolling rtd) and a dedicated player group, like the good ol' days of hoodoo, then we could really bring in some tf2 recruits. No one is interested because no one is playing.

/my2cents

You were worried yesterday about me having trade shut down. I'm obviously not having those shut down. Here is a list of what I think should stay up and try to get populated.

Keep:

• Hoodoo
  • Pipeline
  • Dustbowl
  • Badwater
  • Orange
  • Degroot
  • Surf
  • Idle/Achievement
  • Trade

Also Bonbon fixed the issue with force rolling because we had a bunch of VIP's and using the force roll feature causing people to leave. Overall I agree with what you are saying. Admin or not, try and help populate these servers.

You were worried yesterday about me having trade shut down. I'm obviously not having those shut down. Here is a list of what I think should stay up and try to get populated.

Keep:

• Hoodoo
  • Pipeline
  • Dustbowl
  • Badwater
  • Orange
  • Degroot
  • Surf
  • Idle/Achievement
  • Trade

Also Bonbon fixed the issue with force rolling because we had a bunch of VIP's and using the force roll feature causing people to leave. Overall I agree with what you are saying. Admin or not, try and help populate these servers.

I appreciate the response, dig. Im not so sure about badwater basin and surf, but if people use em enough, I see no reason not to. Perhaps instead of badwater, lets do a stock rotation with voting on maps and such to get a bit of variety, as badwater and hoodoo are a bit much in payload, especially with a plr_pipeline too. However, with the current list, I would love to get some of these servers rolling again.

I appreciate the response, dig. Im not so sure about badwater basin and surf, but if people use em enough, I see no reason not to. Perhaps instead of badwater, lets do a stock rotation with voting on maps and such to get a bit of variety, as badwater and hoodoo are a bit much in payload, especially with a plr_pipeline too. However, with the current list, I would love to get some of these servers rolling again.

Badwater is a really popular map and our server gets really full due to that fact. Surf is always full, I've actually been playing surf with Reddevil lately. We have two servers that do a rotation, it's our payload server and control point server. Which one would u prefer to keep up?

I'm 99% sure this is still true: Empty server have negligible server load. One server with 24 players on it is a much larger load than having 10 servers with no one on them.

This is true. But I kinda want to bring the server amount down. Let's start off with something simple like 5 servers instead of 20 servers. We don't have to take those servers down, but I think it's useless to have empty servers up running maps that nobody likes.

This is true. But I kinda want to bring the server amount down. Let's start off with something simple like 5 servers instead of 20 servers. We don't have to take those servers down, but I think it's useless to have empty servers up running maps that nobody likes.

I agree, there's no point on having empty servers, Our TF2 division doesn't have that many people to seed them all, we must focus on the popular ones, and keep them full, and recruit more people, once we get more people then we can get 1 more server, then another server etc.... we need to fix our Lag spikes, there's no point of having 2 many servers with problems/

I agree the TF2 servers are in need of an overhaul. Our main technical leader of the TF2 servers (HG | Dirty), has been missing and the servers have suffered the past few months.

Any TF2 division supporters/members, please join teamspeak today and message me your thoughts. I will be working on the TF2 servers.