Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Turtle Rock Studios announce spiritual successor to 'Left 4 Dead'

The original developers of Left 4 Dead, Turtle Rock Studios, have announced that they are working on a spiritual successor to L4D known as 'Back 4 Blood'. This game will follow the same formula as the L4D series, carrying over ideas such as special infected, 4 survivors, all in a multiplayer horror style, while also expanding upon and refining new ideas. You can find more information below, see the initial announcement, Q&A section and even join their official Discord if you're interested in working with them as a developer.

NOTE: THIS ISN'T LEFT 4 DEAD 3, PLEASE AVOID SPAMMING ANY TURTLE ROCK STAFF MEMBERS ABOUT WHETHER THAT'S TRUE OR NOT, BACK 4 BLOOD IS A DIFFERENT IP.

https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/warner-bros-interactive-entertainment-and-turtle-rock-studios-announce-back-4-blood/112397
https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/back-4-blood-announce-faq/112400
https://discordapp.com/invite/turtlerockstudios

• 1 month later...

@F00L

Their new game is most likely going to be more like L4D compared to L4D2, focusing on cooperative team horror compared to a less serious zombie shooter. Regardless, I'm excited.

@Isaac

Unfortunately, some stuff happened near launch I believe, then they fixed the issues, but by then it was too late. Now 2K games hold the rights to the Evolve series, so expect something mediocre from them kek. But I can assure you, Turtle Rock has looked back on what they found right in their iteration of L4D and are focusing to build up on their original ideas, while adding some new ones in.

@Snowyamur

Its going to be closer to L4D compared to L4D2 as said above. The reason why each instalment is so different is because of who handled it. Turtle Rock almost entirely developed L4D only to be bought out by VALVe about 2 months or so before launch. From there, VALVe took their own take on the series and we got a less serious version of the series.

And apologies for the small text, I change the font and size to be something specific, but I slipped up on this post.

Its going to be closer to L4D compared to L4D2 as said above. The reason why each instalment is so different is because of who handled it. Turtle Rock almost entirely developed L4D only to be bought out by VALVe about 2 months or so before launch. From there, VALVe took their own take on the series and we got a less serious version of the series.

And apologies for the small text, I change the font and size to be something specific, but I slipped up on this post.

I'd assume that Back 4 Blood would be more serious, then? It's true that the Left 4 Dead series was laid back, but it turned out well, so if Back 4 Blood becomes the more serious and cold successor of L4D, it's going to have to be unique in some way because there have been many games being released from the past year and this year that have depressing, serious, and sad stories. At this point, consumers in the gaming market have had enough of depressing storylines; they want something fun and playful now, but this is all speculation.

We'll see where Back 4 Blood goes. I'm sure that if it remains on a consistent level with Left 4 Dead, while following a unique niche, it'll be great.