Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

new cpu?

Zeused

just got a new card (5600 xt) but my cpu is kind of bottlenecking it. my current cpu is i5 7400 3ghz (shitty ik) so im looking for an upgrade. im not too knowledgeable about cpu, so i figured i would ask here.

one of my friends suggested https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-3600x/p/N82E16819113568?Description=AMD Ryzen 5 3600X&cm_re=AMD_Ryzen 5 3600X-_-19-113-568-_-Product&quicklink=true

wondering what i should go for in terms of gaming and keeping up with my current gpu. preferably 300$ or under ish?

50 minutes ago, Admiral MacK said:

What motherboard do you currently have? Before considering CPU options, you want to know the limit of your board's compatibility. 

This part is important. If you are considering upgrading with Intel you have to buy a new motherboard, with AMD Cpu you need to make sure the slot is the right one.

To give a proper reccomendation, We also need your Power supply, Mobo, Ram speed (if we go with ryzen) and (if needed) budget.
HOWEVER, I will give a pre emptive recomendation of a R5 3600X, however this will take a new mobo, which I would reccomend Gigabyte B550 Aorus pro
No matter what, you will have to upgrade your mobo to get a CPU which will pair well. 

I am not an intel user, really only know things about AMD unfortunatly, so if you wanted to stay intel I cant help, but for ryzen thats my recommendation.

(Im retarded didnt see you put mobo right above my comment lul)

Edited by Lynxx

3 hours ago, Lynxx said:

To give a proper reccomendation, We also need your Power supply, Mobo, Ram speed (if we go with ryzen) and (if needed) budget.
HOWEVER, I will give a pre emptive recomendation of a R5 3600X, however this will take a new mobo, which I would reccomend Gigabyte B550 Aorus pro
No matter what, you will have to upgrade your mobo to get a CPU which will pair well. 

I am not an intel user, really only know things about AMD unfortunatly, so if you wanted to stay intel I cant help, but for ryzen thats my recommendation.

(Im retarded didnt see you put mobo right above my comment lul) 

psu - thermaltake 700w https://www.bestbuy.com/site/thermaltake-smart-700w-atx-80-plus-power-supply-black/6339087.p?skuId=6339087&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=1780&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvb75BRD1ARIsAP6LcqsWhYEjHdLBCFnYPoROFMPGeOBraplKzhGRP1RwYhqMmLL05ILtDy4aAv91EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

ram - 2x 16gb https://www.amazon.com/OLOy-Memory-288-Pin-Desktop-MD4U163016BADA/dp/B07LG5M3M5/ref=pd_lpo_147_t_1/134-1092082-6490147?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07LG5M3M5&pd_rd_r=3d7c5ddd-15ac-4c1a-9cea-767761156e51&pd_rd_w=QF8QL&pd_rd_wg=S0sAI&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=7YEDYT7KJ6NAZ0CRS6VY&psc=1&refRID=7YEDYT7KJ6NAZ0CRS6VY

basically no issues with ram or psu. the gb is more than enough and the psu has had no problems :--)

and thanks for the suggestions! my friend said the exact same stuff so it seems like a must-do now. dont really care much for what brand i buy, just tryna get whats best. the cpu is pretty good and somewhat cheap (considering some of the other cpu prices) and the bigger motherboard would help a bunch as well (i barely fit my graphics card in, and it covers several other things on the motherboard that would be nice to have). got an old giant case so i think once i get that giant motherboard and new cpu ill switch over to that.

• Like 1