Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Mutators – An Hg Zs Gameplay Overhaul

Snowyamur

Server Designation

HG 24/7 Zombie Survival! | US-Central | FastDL | HeLLsGamers.

Date Created

8/2/2018

Author

Snowyamur

Purposes(s)

Slight elimination of linear gameplay | adding flavor to otherwise repetitive gameplay | fun for both the Human and Zombie teams | removal of “usual actions†committed by both teams

Problem

Every map, especially shitmaps and maps where HG vets know the “usual spot†to cade, the same actions are repeated over and over:

1.) Go to usual cade spot

2.) Humans either defend or don’t

3.) If Humans defend, cade is built, Humans defend that one spot the entire map

4.) If Humans don’t defend, cade is easily destroyed, players die, game over in the first two Waves

---- NEXT ROUND ----

1.) Go to usual cade spot again

2.) Repeat steps 2.) and/ or 3.) and/ or 4.) from above

3.) Transition to next map, and repeat the same steps from top to bottom

One thing I want to make clear here is that I use “usual†twice in Step 1 because every single map, Human players will go to the strongest spot for barricading, be it because of the terrain and surrounding environment, the fact there’s a Supply Crate available, or, for the best Human team benefit, both. This isn’t a problem; it’s common sense, but if we’re talking in terms of gameplay, this is repetitive, so repetitive that it becomes linear gameplay, ultimately being boring.

No matter how many players are online, these actions will be repeated. Worst of all, this prevents people from barricading other spots on the map because

1.) there are few props available in the chosen location,

2.) because the spot is absolute shit for barricading,

3.) because you can’t “make profit,†or all three.

Players will come and go as they slowly realize this server’s gamemode + gameplay is repetitive, and the same behaviors are repeated. While point-saving separates the HG Garry’s Mod ZS server from others, it remains to be improved in an effort to remove the linear and repetitive gameplay, replacing it with something better.

Solution

Mutators are random number generated (RNG) effects that remove linear gameplay by creating a different form of gameplay. These can be turned on every round, and at least one mutator must be active every round, whether on the same map or different map; should a round be repeated, not on the former.

Mutators are selected from a list at random before the first wave begins, and once a mutator is active, it will remain that way for the entire round. I’m thinking about making it where it changes every 3 waves, but that’s too complex and we’re not yet ready to tackle that yet.

Every mutator will be designed to handicap or benefit both the Human and Zombie teams in some way.

Mutators cannot

1.) *EDIT Make point-gain less than 1x at any time

2.) Only buff one team while harming the other

3.) Be server-breaking and game-breaking, but game-breaking will happen regardless

4.) *EDIT Restrict weapon-use and/ or ability-use for one team, but not the other

5.) Disable Zombie bosses

6.) Affect the Supply Crate itself

7.) Affect the environment by permanently changing its landscape; I mean terraforming here

8.) Forcibly kill off players

9.) Create impenetrable obstacles that obstruct passage

Mutators can

1.) Affect the *EDIT effectiveness of certain items from both the Arsenal Crate and Worth Menu

2.) Affect the effectiveness of Human and Zombie weapons and abilities

3.) Affect Zombie bosses

4.) Create environmental effects that can hinder one team or both teams; should these effects hinder only one team, the other will be afflicted by something else to balance this effect

5.) Affect stats + attributes for all players on either team, but differently and respective to each team

6.) Generate special AI for one team or both that do different things

7.) Affect barricades + any and all attributes part of barricading in ZS

8.) Affect what Human players can and cannot use, but detriment the Zombie team to balance it out

9.) Create on-screen effects

*EDIT 10.) Restrict both teams to using certain items, while also affecting attributes to balance it out

This is a sort-of comprehensive, but general list of what Mutators can/ cannot and should/ shouldn’t do in-game. I will be adding a list of possible mutators + their names and effects *EDIT later.

Edited by Syamur
  • Like 1

Sounds like it could be interesting, depending on what actually occurs. If it's like "Assault Rifles and ammo are 25% more expensive", that'd be stupid, but if it was like "AI Ticklemare with all zombie traits, but humans receive double points during this wave", that'd be really cool.

Like Kapu said, some specific examples would be needed.

Sounds like it could be interesting, depending on what actually occurs. If it's like "Assault Rifles and ammo are 25% more expensive", that'd be stupid, but if it was like "AI Ticklemare with all zombie traits, but humans receive double points during this wave", that'd be really cool.

Like Kapu said, some specific examples would be needed.

Those ideas are pretty stupid.

I'd like to see what those mutator examples would be before commenting on it.

Yeah, I would love to see some examples

There is no need to make weapons more expensive. People don't buy guns already so what's the point.

It needs to be balanced

Mutators List 1

Corrosive Acquirements

Human Team

- >>> Barricades gain “Solidified Deterioration,†losing health from its maximum health pool every second.

+ >>> Barricades have more repair points available, allowing for longer-lasting cades by permitting Humans to replace more lost repair points. Barricades also have a slightly larger health pool.

Zombie Team

- >>> Zombies deal slightly less damage to barricade health pools and attack slightly slower.

+ >>> Zombies gain “Corrosive Claws,†allowing them to take away maximum repair points from a barricade left in total. For example, if a barricade is at 4500/4500 and there are 5250 repair points remaining, zombies can chop away at the 5250 points while also affecting the 4500/4500 health pool of the barricade at the same time. Every successful swipe affects both.

* Starts right upon loading the map

* Persists for the entire round

* “Corrosive Claws†don’t affect damage on Human players

* Human players can’t be affected by “Solidified Deteriorationâ€

* Immolators’ “Burn†ability can topple on with *EDIT “Solidified Deterioration†for wooden props, but will not last long as usual

* Poison damage from Ghouls, Poison Zombies, Poison Headcrabs and Bloated Zombies can’t proc “Corrosive Clawsâ€

* Shade, Omega Shade, and Shadow Shade can’t use “Corrosive Clawsâ€

* Zombine grenade suicide and Chem Zombie suicide can’t proc “Corrosive Clawsâ€

Brutal Glory

Human Team

- >>> For the first two waves, Human players cannot purchase all projectile weaponry nor explosives nor the Carpenter’s Hammer and are limited to using only melee weapons and thrown weapons. Humans attack slightly slower.

+ >>> Human players gain an overall larger health pool, enough to balance out against the damage afflicted by a regular Zombie. Humans can still purchase Medical Kits and Healing Grenades from the Worth Menu to heal.

Zombie Team

- >>> Poison-debilitating effects are weakened, and damage afflicted by Boss Zombies is slightly reduced

+ >>> Zombies gain slightly more health, but not as much as Human team. Zombies also gain “Blood Pounding,†having a very high chance at knocking back Humans a large distance, severely slowing them for a few seconds wherever they land, also blurring their vision for a fraction of the slow duration. Zombies also inflict slightly more damage.

* Persists for the first two waves of the round

* Brutal Glory ends once Wave 2 ends, resuming to normal ZS survival

* “Blood Pounding†will also affect Boss Zombies

* Poison damage from Ghouls can’t proc “Blood Poundingâ€

* “Blood Pounding†doesn’t affect barricades

* Knockback against props can still cause damage to Human players

Death’s Playing Card

Human Team

- >>> Human health, damage, and reload speed are slightly reduced.

+ >>> Humans gain “Swift Weaponization,†effectively reducing the prices of all weapons, ammo, and explosives by a certain percentage; melee weapons are excluded. Weapons shoot slightly faster.

Zombie Team

- >>> Zombies and Boss Zombies have slightly lower health and damage. Poison effects are weakened.

+ >>> Zombies gain “Death’s Handâ€, allowing them to resurrect themselves upon death, effectively allowing Zombie players to survive death once before officially dying. Boss Zombies gain “Death’s Favorâ€, allowing them to gain Death Drops from players they kill, which resurrect them for half of their total health upon death.

* Persists for the entire round

* “Death’s Favor†doesn’t last indefinitely, but can stack; once all Death Drops are used, death at that point is permanent

* “Death’s Hand†is lost should the Zombie player be redeemed for scoring their final, needed kill

* Redeemed players are granted “Swift Weaponization†upon spawning wherever they want

* Shades, Omega Shades, and Shadow Shades can’t use “Death’s Favorâ€

* Zombines and Chem Zombies can't use "Death's Hand"

*EDIT "Death's Hand" resets upon official death for a Zombie player

Edited by Syamur

These all seem really gimmicky, and I just like cough "Vanilla" cough ZS as it is. I don't want to have to memorize a massive wall of text to know whats going on. This would also make playing as a new comer total cancer, even more than it already is.

edit: R....N....GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Edited by Kapu
  • Like 1

Darkness Falls..

Humans lose flashlight.. Humans have very limited vision.. (similar to what happens on nightmare event)

Humans take constant damage when away from "light sources"

These light sources can behave exactly like the supply crates..

Zombies Move 25% faster and deal 25% more damage but have 35% less hp.

Zombies take damage while standing inside light sources Similar to being on fire

Random chance of spawning at nightmare?

Random spawning nightmare has 1/2 hp of boss spawn

These all seem really gimmicky, and I just like cough "Vanilla" cough ZS as it is. I don't want to have to memorize a massive wall of text to know whats going on. This would also make playing as a new comer total cancer, even more than it already is.

edit: R....N....GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Stripping humans of the chance to buy guns, and another one where they're cheaper is... exactly what we didn't think would be a good idea.

People will just hate them because it gives one team an RNG edge over the other.

Like I said above, these ideas will obviously require re-balancing, and I will very likely simplify them to start off with basic traits, who gets what. I do appreciate the feedback and will work towards improving this suggestion.

Like I said above, these ideas will obviously require re-balancing, and I will very likely simplify them to start off with basic traits, who gets what. I do appreciate the feedback and will work towards improving this suggestion.

Its not even the balance. I just don't like the idea of adding change for the sake of change, especially if its RNG-based, and requires every player to memorize a wall of text.

• Like 1

I would say to have the mutator have a distraction ability not restricted to both teams to anyone. Those people chosen to get distracted have random things on their screen for a 30 sec time period then it stops

Edited by Jou

I would say to have the mutator have a distraction ability not restricted to both teams to anyone. Those people chosen to get distracted have random things on their screen for a 30 sec time period then it stops

This really doesn't serve a gameplay purpose other than being mildly annoying

• Like 1

To memorize every single mutator, it's gonna be a wall of text.

Most revisions of gameplay like this will have to be a wall of text. You can choose to read it or not, but like I said, I will simplify these mutators. I honestly think this could be a great change for ZS, and whether you like it or not, that's up to you. Embrace change or fall behind dying because you don't.

Most revisions of gameplay like this will have to be a wall of text. You can choose to read it or not, but like I said, I will simplify these mutators. I honestly think this could be a great change for ZS, and whether you like it or not, that's up to you. Embrace change or fall behind dying because you don't.

I'd rather have a consistent gamemode thats easy for newcomers to pick up than changing the game when it doesn't need it, thats my final word/

"If you have suggestions let me know"

*we give our suggestion that we don't like it*

"If you don't like it too fuckin bad lmao"

It always disappoints me to see people afraid of change. Change is part of life, and what keeps things interesting. If this were to be added to the game, I would take great care to get it right. Adding a half baked feature to a game is exactly what causes people to see change as a bad thing. Suggestions will be considered, effects will be tested, and things will be balanced. The suggestions made in this thread are in no way the final implemented form of the idea.

Criticism is still important. We need to know your concerns about potential problems to avoid them. Just please try to avoid dismissing new ideas when you find a potential problem, and instead, let us know your concerns so we can think about this more, and get it right.

I know it can be difficult to question the thoughts and opinions you've already formed, but please, for the sake of the game, try to analyze things critically and help us out. Keep an open mind when looking at the arguments and suggestions presented by other people. If you see a potential problem, feel free to point it out, but please don't be hostile with the response, or inflexible with the analysis of the arguments presented by others. A narrow, opinionated mindset never leads to the best conclusion.

Please don't take this post as an attack on your personality or judgement, it's not. When in a serious, or casual discussion, we need to debate effectively, and not resort to hostility and creative language. This is not the place to assert your superior intelligence, or to prove that your opinions and ideas are superior. Our goal here is to reach a common and homogenized conclusion, and to ensure our final goal is in everyone's best interest.

Edited by Techmo
  • Like 2

Now to address some concerns about a potential wall of text. One way we could present the idea to the user would be to keep descriptions concise, and effective. In an unused corner of the screen, we could list the various buffs, effects, and debuffs using arrows, numbers, or '+' and '-'. We could also use icons to describe certain effects, and have a short description appear when the user hovers their mouse over it.

Solutions exist for every problem, we just need to think about what they are. This is merely a suggestion, and almost certainly has some flaws. It's important not to take the suggestion as a hard set final solution, but to look at the suggestion as a suggestion, and determine if any if it's ideas would be a good way to accomplish our goal. Perhaps, none of the ideas are good. In that case, look at the ideas, and use them to explore other ideas. Perhaps a different implementation of the same idea would be more effective. Maybe a completely different idea you have may be more effective. Just be sure to take this post into account, and present a helpful suggestion or concern. If you have a suggestion you don't see as very "worthy" or "effective", post it anyway and say so. Let everyone else see it, and allow them to use it for their own ideas. Perhaps your idea might be a good solution with a few changes.

Edited by Techmo

Now to address some concerns about a potential wall of text. One way we could present the idea to the user would be to keep descriptions concise, and effective. In an unused corner of the screen, we could list the various buffs, effects, and debuffs using arrows, numbers, or '+' and '-'. We could also use icons to describe certain effects, and have a short description appear when the user hovers their mouse over it.

Solutions exist for every problem, we just need to think about what they are. This is merely a suggestion, and almost certainly has some flaws. It's important not to take the suggestion as a hard set final solution, but to look at the suggestion as a suggestion, and determine if any if it's ideas would be a good way to accomplish our goal. Perhaps, none of the ideas are good. In that case, look at the ideas, and use them to explore other ideas. Perhaps a different implementation of the same idea would be more effective. Maybe a completely different idea you have may be more effective. Just be sure to take this post into account, and present a helpful suggestion or concern. If you have a suggestion you don't see as very "worthy" or "effective", post it anyway and say so. Let everyone else see it, and allow them to use it for their own ideas. Perhaps your idea might be a good solution with a few changes.

I made a new thread based on this Techmo. Look again on the ZS suggestions forums.

Also, it's rather crude of you to act like these suggestions you have for the server are the end-all be-all and have to be implemented even if we don't like them. Really doesn't make anyone feel like we should listen.

I didn't say these would be "end-all-be-all" suggestions. You're seeing it that way, not me. These are suggestions, I didn't say right away these would be implemented because as I've said before, these suggestions would have to go under heavy editing and balancing for them to work.