Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

If You Could Only Play One Video Game Ever Again...

Alienware

Fun hypothetical which I quite like. I've done this with films and music before to kind of help get to know new people's personalities. If you could only play one SINGLE PLAYER game (which has already been released) ever again for the rest of your life (as much as you like), which game would you pick and why? The reason I've picked single player is that its kind of like desert island discs.

It'd really be a hard pick for me. Both GTA V and Morrowind offer tons of the kind of gameplay I enjoy within their respective genres, so the question would be would I want to spend the remainder of my gaming days exploring an ultimately finite fantasy world in myriad different ways of magic and melee and everywhere in between, or do I want to drive around a well-realized sandbox city wreaking havoc with guns and a blood-spattered bumpers in a light-hearted satire. GTA offers more in the way of divergent gameplay but within a narrow set of mechanics (a lot of ways to do basically the same thing;) Morrowind offers narrow gameplay, but within a divergent set of mechanics (few things to do, but many ways to do them.) It's a tough choice, and the OP should be ashamed of putting me in this situation.

(By the way, I know some people on the forums sometimes refuse to answer hypotheticals and just leave responses like 'I wouldn't' or 'that's a stupid question.' I'd suggest not responding to the thread if that's your line of thinking. It's just a bit of fun.)

• Like 1

Are we allowed to install mods? Honestly, most modern Bethesda games are great choices... I’ve put so much time into Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim. It’s insane how many times I’ve restarted and done different playthroughs of each of these games. I’ve loved other games too (looking at you, Bioshock! <3) but I just haven’t put the same amount of hours and immersion as the games I previously mentioned.

I’d be happy with any 3 of those games. (How does this deserted island have electricity but I’m not allowed to download more games!?)

If I were to choose the one game I'd play, it would come down to 3 games, and this is why I would do it. CS:GO, Insurgency, and Paladins. The one universal reason why is that these games are all eSports titles. Insurgency may be a smaller eSport, but it is an eSport. I love CS:GO because of its combined mechanics between Source and 1.6, and because I was a former 1.6 player before I got Source and GO, it kind of helped me to get better at the game. I would do this game because of it's fast-paced tactical feel that requires not only requires strong skills, but a strong mind. if not CS:GO, I would choose Paladins, mainly because the game is a lot of fun, and does require great mental strength within the game when you plan out an assault. Insurgency would be by far one of the games I would choose to stay on all the time, mainly because of it's super tactical aspect, and that if you make one mistake, you could be dead in an instant, much like in a real life war scenario!

• 3 weeks later...

I would crave to play Metroid Prime again on the GameCube. That game had fantastic soundtrack, immersive elements, and felt like the definition of what Metroid games were all about: exploration, mixed with fighting, researching and examining stuff, and upgrading Samus' suit. I remember playing that game years ago and just trying to find everything I can in that game, even if it meant returning to the same areas to fight the same enemies and probably perish over and over again. The game was just that good.

If you've never played Metroid Prime, or heard it's OST, check out one of my favorite tracks from the game below: