Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

The Zs Server Needs An Upgrade

Snowyamur

Improving the ZS Server  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seriously, is it too hard to ask for a server upgrade, especially for a game that's many years old? Players, like myself, have lost countless points or close opportunities to win as humans because the current status of the server can't handle what's being upgraded for the ZS mod itself, and that's a problem.

It's 2018, by now, s**t needs to be upgraded and handled. If our server keeps crashing, we permanently lose out on more potential players for our server playerbase. Others may not see that, but I do. People are too f**king hard to impress nowadays because of instant gratification, and the fact it's 2018, and this easily makes people despise our server.

Whether others feel the same way I do, I don't know. I personally hate being ejected out of my game seat due to server crash, especially when I'm streaming, not only because it interrupts what I'm doing, but because progress and point-save at the point of the crash is lost.

If the poll shows up, do you want more crashes, or would you like to see this server upgraded? Take this seriously because if you play on this server, it's affecting you, and what you decide will affect you.

• Like 5

For me at least, it appears that we are limited to the hardware provided to us by our server hosting company. Hosting our own server would allow us to throw one together for a pretty low price, but would also require more effort during setup and configuration to get the same features and capabilities as the server host. I am disappointed to see the server at peak capacity most of the day, but unable to support all the other players that want to be on as well. I do however understand the need for a proven reliable server host. Hosting a server yourself comes with it's own drawbacks, and any problems with the network connection used will affect everyone.

If we ever did decide to throw together our own hardware, I would be happy to chip in. A k series i3 would be great for the gmod server.

• Like 2

I must be clear, do not confuse a slow server with crashes. It can be possible for a slow server to cause problems with nwvars and the likes, but based on what I've been able to see, 99% of the time they are caused by a stack overflow, which is related to the ability of the client, and the code written for it. I am currently unable to determine the exact cause, but will be in the future. That is not to say that a slow server is not undesirable. It sucks.

As for the server, I do notice that a crash can occur when player entities are loaded in before the server has completed the other scripts it uses for loading. This would be helped by faster hardware, but not solved completely. In order to properly remedy the crash, we need to find the cause.

Edited by Techmo
  • Like 1

You're wasting your time for nothing.

No one's answering.

We never see anyone from the directors, councils, dl answer for 3 years.

I could even have fun making a video about the number of topics about lags and crashes.

Staff and dev do not communicate with each other. They need 1 month to add maps or reduce slots.

Nobody takes initiative any more for fear of what those above will say. Those who don't play zs make decisions.

Some are staff but do nothing but validate banns.

My comment will be deleted but nothing to do. There are lags but we continue to add content because we heal evil by evil.

Soon we'll see jonsey staff (the guy who banned all the players on the server a year ago)

• Like 8

Hello everyone, Im actually real HST. Ill say upgrade the server cpu is not worth because will be same the lagginng at 80+ players. Its just ZS gamemode custom codes are problem it themselves. There is nothing can do its mosly shooting the bullets its worst as hell compared 2015 zs gamemode. There is possible to optimisate the bullet. The lag cause the bullet sound event and blood as much. Also network is too much used for damage event. I wrote this with my iPhone to post HG forum. You can thanks me later.

• Like 3

its all fun and games until we add the new zombies and content from the newest version of ZS then the angry "mob" of players come out to criticize our players and devs for doing so. It doesn't bother me but I know some people are affected by it. I hate the crashes and lag just as any other person would, we can try our best to fix some things but it won't be fixed right away obviously. One of the reasons I quit playing GMOD in general for a long period of time was bad fps and fps drops, doesn't matter what gamemode, and trust me when I say we all care about the FPS and problems causing server lag.

You're wasting your time for nothing.

No one's answering.

We never see anyone from the directors, councils, dl answer for 3 years.

I could even have fun making a video about the number of topics about lags and crashes.

Staff and dev do not communicate with each other. They need 1 month to add maps or reduce slots.

Nobody takes initiative any more for fear of what those above will say. Those who don't play zs make decisions.

Some are staff but do nothing but validate banns.

My comment will be deleted but nothing to do. There are lags but we continue to add content because we heal evil by evil.

Soon we'll see jonsey staff (the guy who banned all the players on the server a year ago)

I could be wasting my time, but I'm at least trying to make an effort. That's all I can say. At least I give a damn about this rather than sit on the sidelines, better that than be apathetic and cynical about it.

I know that upper division won't do anything because I've already experienced that long silence from them being part of HGCE and HGDC. You think I'm not completely aware of how quiet they are?

If anything, if staff don't do anything, and Homer is afk about 80-90% of the time, then I can honestly say HeLLsGamers be considered dead at this point. We rose above Noxious Net because now that community is dead, and while they have Sunrust, we're still doing better than they are. We have opportunities available to us to grow, to improve, and pave a brighter road for this community, but some of us are too lazy or apathetic to care, and so the community falls because of it.

If anything, forcefully boot Homer as a leader, and elect a new one. There's nothing that says you can't do that, and most of the community is slowly falling apart because it lacks an active leader.

Edited by Snowyamur
  • Like 1

its all fun and games until we add the new zombies and content from the newest version of ZS then the angry "mob" of players come out to criticize our players and devs for doing so. It doesn't bother me but I know some people are affected by it. I hate the crashes and lag just as any other person would, we can try our best to fix some things but it won't be fixed right away obviously. One of the reasons I quit playing GMOD in general for a long period of time was bad fps and fps drops, doesn't matter what gamemode, and trust me when I say we all care about the FPS and problems causing server lag.

Then we should stop adding and start fixing. The playerbase of the server, while maintaining stable health, is slowly deteriorating because new players likely notice that the server is damaged in some way.

If they're getting FPS drops like you said, obviously that's going to make them leave. If the server crashes for any reason, that'll make them leave as well. The only thing that's keeping this server on crutches is the point-save, and that's the only real incentive to play on the server. Other servers have point-save as well, but our community was one of the first to claim it, and now we have an advantage over other servers in terms of popularity and player base. We can improve off of that, but many of us choose not to, and that's disappointing.

What makes me sad is that one of our coders is doing his best to improve the server, and he added a lot of cool stuff (y'all know who I'm talking about), but not many are appreciating his work, and his efforts are unfortunately being dismantled by how poorly unstable this server actually is. It makes me shocked to see a community with the potential to grow squander such opportunities only because the leaders in charge of this community aren't active, and no one else can take charge because they just can't.

ZS is playable up to 75-80 players on other servers without the problems you are experiencing now.

Besides gmod and maps being unoptimised, besides the "angry mobs" and the same questions coming over and over again :

Truth is if you don't try a new approach on fixing these problems, in the future you will be exactly were you are standing now dealing with the same questions from different people, different "angry mobs" and you will only get more bored than today, repeating yourself over and over again.

I wrote all of this so maybe you understand that freezing the development until you get the game code cleaned and the gameplay balanced is not a bad idea

From a coder perspective it's a pain in the ass for sure, but you should consider it!!

Other servers doesnt have pointsaving that cause not lag. HGZS is only problem with bullet spamming its cause POINTSAVING this is mean over 50 peoples have highest firerate of bullet.

Edited by HST

I don't agree with everything but I share your vision. I played for 5 years on hg. For almost 3 years we have been trying to make topics, topics and topics... At some point you let go.

Good luck at hg.

At some point, I will eventually leave because the only reason I stayed was that I hoped I could help the community in some way, perhaps restore it or find better-able people to help me in restoring it to a possibly-better state than it is now. I've been part of HG for a long time, possibly 5-6 years, and you're right, sometimes you just gotta let go. But I'm not ready yet to step down until I truly feel that this community is doomed.

As of now, HeLLsGamers is struggling to maintain an active leadership, and that's the only obstacle in its way. Clear that out, and changes will start to be made. Because we have inactive leadership, nothing new can be carried out, resulting in every server, not just Garry's Mod, being stuck in the same spot they're in since 2013. There are many more problems, but this is the largest one.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, Im actually real HST. Ill say upgrade the server cpu is not worth because will be same the lagginng at 80+ players. Its just ZS gamemode custom codes are problem it themselves. There is nothing can do its mosly shooting the bullets its worst as hell compared 2015 zs gamemode. There is possible to optimisate the bullet. The lag cause the bullet sound event and blood as much. Also network is too much used for damage event. I wrote this with my iPhone to post HG forum. You can thanks me later.

If that's the case, why do we continue to upgrade broken s**t when it can't be fixed?

The last few patches there was some changes here and there to help with the crashing and optimization, even the server was crashing about 50% less because of it, but yea there needs to be more work done. ZS was starting to get a little stale and quite a lot of people were asking for new content so it was delivered, probably should have focused on optimization first but I can't remember if i was DL yet or not when most of the updates were being added, doesn't excuse anything though

Since this thread turned from a "Hey crashing is happening" to a "Lets talks about how shit the staff for HG are" this thread will be locked. I've been looking into fixing these crashes for 2 years but me nor any other staff, DL, Dev have access to the stuff needed to track these kinds of crashes (Non-gracful eg no crash dumps). The final decision on anything involving the server machine is up to only Homer and Kigen, and consequently only them can fix this crash or provide useful info into a lead on where it happens.

Edited by ForrestMarkX
  • Like 2